Show Equivalence of AB Parallel to XY | Wondering

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary: Yes, we can conclude that $Z'=Z$ and $Y'=Y$, which means that $AB\parallel XY$. This is because if two triangles have similar sides and one angle in common, then they are congruent. Therefore, $AB$ and $XY$ have to be parallel in order for the triangles to be congruent.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have the triangle ABC. We have that $X\in AC$, $Y\in BC$ and $Z=AY\cap BX$, where $X,Y\neq A,B,C$. I want to show that AB is parallel to XY iff $\frac{|CX|}{|CA|}=\frac{|ZB|}{|ZX|}=1$.

Could you give me a hint what we have to show?

When AB is parallel to XY then we have that then AZB and ZXY are congruent. What do we get from that? (Wondering)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

We have the triangle ABC. We have that $X\in AC$, $Y\in BC$ and $Z=AY\cap BX$, where $X,Y\neq A,B,C$. I want to show that AB is parallel to XY iff $\frac{|CX|}{|CA|}=\frac{|ZB|}{|ZX|}=1$.

Could you give me a hint what we have to show?

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

If we pick BX and AY to be medians, we have $\frac{|CX|}{|CA|}=\frac 12 \ne \frac 21 =\frac{|ZB|}{|ZX|} \ne 1$.
Can it be that $\frac{|CX|}{|CA|} \cdot \frac{|ZB|}{|XZ|}=1$ was intended?

mathmari said:
When AB is parallel to XY then we have that then AZB and ZXY are congruent. What do we get from that?

Aren't $AZB$ and $ZXY$ similar instead of congruent?

Anyway, yes, I believe we should use that if $AB\parallel XY$, that then $AZB$ and $ZXY$ are similar.
That means that the corresponding sides have the same ratio.
Btw, $ABC$ and $XYC$ are also similar. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
If we pick BX and AY to be medians, we have $\frac{|CX|}{|CA|}=\frac 12 \ne \frac 21 =\frac{|ZB|}{|ZX|} \ne 1$.
Can it be that $\frac{|CX|}{|CA|} \cdot \frac{|ZB|}{|XZ|}=1$ was intended?
I don't know. Maybe. The exercise statement is as in #1.
I like Serena said:
Aren't $AZB$ and $ZXY$ similar instead of congruent?

Anyway, yes, I believe we should use that if $AB\parallel XY$, that then $AZB$ and $ZXY$ are similar.
That means that the corresponding sides have the same ratio.
Btw, $ABC$ and $XYC$ are also similar. (Thinking)

From the fact that the triangles $AZB$ and $ZXY$ are similar, we get that $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AZ}{ZY}=\frac{AB}{XY}=m_1$.

From the fact that the triangles $ABC$ and $XYC$ are congruent, we get that $\frac{XY}{AB}=\frac{YC}{BC}=\frac{XC}{AC}=m_2$.

Since $m_1=\frac{AB}{XY}$ and $m_a=\frac{XY}{AB} \Rightarrow \frac{AB}{XY}=\frac{1}{m_2}$ we get that $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AC}{XC}$, right? (Wondering)

Maybe we have to show the relation without equal to $1$ ? (Wondering)
What about the other direction? (Wondering)

Does the other direction would hold if we would have $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AC}{XC}$ without equal to $1$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Does the other direction would hold if we would have $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AC}{XC}$ without equal to $1$ ? (Wondering)

Suppose it holds that $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AC}{XC}=:m$.

We consider the triangles $AZB$ and $XZY$. We have that $BZ=m\cdot ZX$ and the angle of $Z$ in both triangles are the same.
We consider the triangles $ABC$ and $XCY$. We have that $AC=m\cdot XC$ and the angle of $C$ in both triangles are the same.

Can we get something from here? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I don't know. Maybe. The exercise statement is as in #1.

From the fact that the triangles $AZB$ and $ZXY$ are similar, we get that $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AZ}{ZY}=\frac{AB}{XY}=m_1$.

From the fact that the triangles $ABC$ and $XYC$ are congruent, we get that $\frac{XY}{AB}=\frac{YC}{BC}=\frac{XC}{AC}=m_2$.

Since $m_1=\frac{AB}{XY}$ and $m_a=\frac{XY}{AB} \Rightarrow \frac{AB}{XY}=\frac{1}{m_2}$ we get that $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AC}{XC}$, right?

Yes. (Nod)

mathmari said:
Maybe we have to show the relation without equal to $1$ ?

If so, then we also need to invert one of the fractions.
Either way, the result would be the same as replacing the $=$ sign by a multiplication.
mathmari said:
What about the other direction?

Does the other direction would hold if we would have $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AC}{XC}$ without equal to $1$ ?

mathmari said:
Suppose it holds that $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AC}{XC}=:m$.

We consider the triangles $AZB$ and $XZY$. We have that $BZ=m\cdot ZX$ and the angle of $Z$ in both triangles are the same.
We consider the triangles $ABC$ and $XCY$. We have that $AC=m\cdot XC$ and the angle of $C$ in both triangles are the same.

Can we get something from here?

I don't see how.

As I see it, either we have to assume that $XY \nparallel AB$ and deduce that the fractions are different.
Or we assume the fractions are the same and deduce that $XY \parallel AB$.
I haven't figured out how to do that yet though.
Perhaps we could do it with vectors instead of geometry properties.

For the other direction we have that $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AC}{XC}$.

Let $Y'\in BC$ so that $AB\parallel XY'$.
Then $Z'$ is the intersection point of $AY'$ and $BX$.
We have as in the other direction that the triangles $AZB$ and $Z'XY'$ are similar and so it holds that $\frac{BZ'}{Z'X}=\frac{AZ'}{Z'Y'}=\frac{AB}{XY'}$.
The triangles $ABC$ and $XY'C$ are also similar and so it holds that $\frac{XY'}{AB}=\frac{Y'C}{BC}=\frac{XC}{AC}$.
So, we get that $\frac{BZ'}{Z'X}=\frac{AC}{XC}$.
Since $\frac{BZ}{ZX}=\frac{AC}{XC}$, we get that $\frac{BZ'}{Z'X}=\frac{BZ}{ZX}$. Do we conclude from here that $Z'=Z$ and so that $Y'=Y$ ? (Wondering)

1. How do you show the equivalence of AB parallel to XY?

To show that two lines, AB and XY, are parallel, you can use the transitive property of parallel lines. First, you must prove that AB and XY have the same slope. Then, you can use the transitive property to show that AB is also parallel to any other line with the same slope, including XY.

2. What is the transitive property of parallel lines?

The transitive property of parallel lines states that if two lines, AB and XY, are parallel and another line, CD, is parallel to AB, then CD is also parallel to XY. This property is useful in proving the parallelism of lines.

3. Can you prove the parallelism of lines using only one method?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to prove the parallelism of lines. Some common methods include using the transitive property, the alternate interior angles theorem, or the corresponding angles theorem.

4. How can you prove that two lines have the same slope?

To prove that two lines, AB and XY, have the same slope, you can use the slope formula: (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). If the slopes of AB and XY are equal, then the lines are parallel and have the same slope.

5. What are some real-life applications of proving parallelism of lines?

Proving the parallelism of lines is important in many areas of science and engineering. It is used in construction to ensure that structures are stable and level, in navigation to determine the direction and distance between two points, and in physics to analyze the motion of objects along parallel paths.