Show that x^2+y^2 is not a square

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, we used the modulo 3 approach to show that if $x$ and $y$ have a greatest common denominator of 1, then $x^2+y^2$ cannot be a square. This is because when we calculate $(x^2+y^2) \text{ mod } 3$, it will have a remainder of 2, which is not possible for a perfect square. Therefore, we can conclude that $x^2+y^2$ is not a square.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :)

Let $(x,3)=(y,3)=1$.Show that $x^2+y^2$ is not a square.How can I do this?

I thought that I could use these relations:
$$ax+3b=1$$
$$yc+3d=1$$
But,using them I found: $x^2+y^2=\frac{cx(1-3b)+ay(1-3d)}{ac}$.. I think that we can't conclude it from this..or am I wrong?? :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! :)

Let $(x,3)=(y,3)=1$.Show that $x^2+y^2$ is not a square.How can I do this?

I thought that I could use these relations:
$$ax+3b=1$$
$$yc+3d=1$$
But,using them I found: $x^2+y^2=\frac{cx(1-3b)+ay(1-3d)}{ac}$.. I think that we can't conclude it from this..or am I wrong?? :confused:

Hi! :D

That's looking a bit complicated.

Let's try a different approach. Suppose we calculate modulo 3...

Then $x = 3k+1$ or $x=3k+2$.
What is $x^2 \text{ mod } 3$ in those 2 cases?

Following up, what can $x^2 + y^2 \text{ mod } 3$ be?

And suppose it would be a square, can that match?

I like Serena said:
Hi! :D

That's looking a bit complicated.

Let's try a different approach. Suppose we calculate modulo 3...

Then $x = 3k+1$ or $x=3k+2$.
What is $x^2 \text{ mod } 3$ in those 2 cases?

Following up, what can $x^2 + y^2 \text{ mod } 3$ be?

And suppose it would be a square, can that match?

Couldn't it also be $x=3k$ ?? :confused:

I found that: $x^2 \text{ mod } 3=0$ for $r=0$,$x^2 \text{ mod } 3=1$ for $r=1$ and $x^2 \text{ mod } 3=1$ for $r=1$..But how can I continue?? :confused:

evinda said:
Couldn't it also be $x=3k$ ?? :confused:

I'm assuming that with $(x,3)=1$, you mean that the greatest common denominator of x and 3 is 1. Suppose x=3k, what would the gcd be?
I found that: $x^2 \text{ mod } 3=0$ for $r=0$,$x^2 \text{ mod } 3=1$ for $r=1$ and $x^2 \text{ mod } 3=1$ for $r=1$..But how can I continue?? :confused:

Disregarding your result for $x\text{ mod } 3=0$, you can see that $x^2$ always has remainder 1 when divided by 3.
What would the remainder be of $x^2+y^2$?

I like Serena said:
I'm assuming that with $(x,3)=1$, you mean that the greatest common denominator of x and 3 is 1. Suppose x=3k, what would the gcd be?

Oh yes,you are right!It would be equal to $3$! :eek:
I like Serena said:
Disregarding your result for $x\text{ mod } 3=0$, you can see that $x^2$ always has remainder 1 when divided by 3.
What would the remainder be of $x^2+y^2$?

$y^2$ has also always remainder 1 when divided by 3.So,would $x^2+y^2\text{ mod } 3=2$ ??

evinda said:
Oh yes,you are right!It would be equal to $3$! :eek:

$y^2$ has also always remainder 1 when divided by 3.So,would $x^2+y^2\text{ mod } 3=2$ ??

Yep and yep! :)

I like Serena said:
Yep and yep! :)

Then we suppose that it is a square,so it is like that: $x^2+y^2=b^2, b \in \mathbb{Z}$.
$b$ mod $3$ can take the following values: $0,1,2$,right?? So,the possible values for $b^2$ mod $3$ are $0,1,1$.
But $x^2+y^2$ mod $3$ can only be equal to $2$,so we conclude that it can't be $x^2+y^2=b^2, b \in \mathbb{Z}$.
Is it right or am I wrong??

evinda said:
Then we suppose that it is a square,so it is like that: $x^2+y^2=b^2, b \in \mathbb{Z}$.
$b$ mod $3$ can take the following values: $0,1,2$,right?? So,the possible values for $b^2$ mod $3$ are $0,1,1$.
But $x^2+y^2$ mod $3$ can only be equal to $2$,so we conclude that it can't be $x^2+y^2=b^2, b \in \mathbb{Z}$.
Is it right or am I wrong??

Correct.

I like Serena said:
Correct.

Great...Thank you very much! :)

Related to Show that x^2+y^2 is not a square

1. What does it mean for a number to be a square?

A square number is a number that can be written as the product of two equal integers. For example, 9 is a square number because it can be written as 3x3.

2. How can you prove that x^2+y^2 is not a square?

To prove that x^2+y^2 is not a square, we can use the Pythagorean theorem. If x^2+y^2 were a square, it would represent the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle. However, if we cannot find two integers that satisfy the equation x^2+y^2=z^2, then x^2+y^2 cannot be a square.

3. Can you give an example of x and y where x^2+y^2 is not a square?

Yes, for example, if we let x=2 and y=3, then x^2+y^2=4+9=13. Since 13 is not the product of two equal integers, x^2+y^2 is not a square.

4. Is there a specific method or formula for proving that x^2+y^2 is not a square?

Yes, there is a formula known as Fermat's theorem on sums of two squares which states that if a number can be written as the sum of two squares, then it can also be written as the product of two squares. Therefore, if we cannot find two integers that satisfy x^2+y^2=z^2, then x^2+y^2 is not a square.

5. Why is it important to prove that x^2+y^2 is not a square?

Proving that x^2+y^2 is not a square is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the properties of numbers and their relationships. It also allows us to solve equations and problems involving squares and their properties. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as cryptography and number theory.