Show How to Prove Divergence of g'($\theta$)

In summary, the conversation discusses a series $g'(\theta)$ and how to show that it diverges for all values other than $\pm\frac{\pi}{2}$. The identity $\cos n\theta = \frac{e^{in\theta}+e^{-in\theta}}{2}$ is used to rewrite the series as a sum of two geometric series. The limit of this sum as $N$ approaches infinity is then discussed.
Dustinsfl
$$
g'(\theta) = 2\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n + 1}\cos n\theta.
$$
How can I show that this series diverges for all values other than $\pm\frac{\pi}{2}$?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
g'(\theta) = 2\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}(-1)^{n + 1}\cos n\theta.
$$
How can I show that this series diverges for all values other than $\pm\frac{\pi}{2}$?

Using the identity $\displaystyle \cos n \theta= \frac{e^{i n \theta}+ e^{-i n \theta}}{2} \ $ You obtain that the series is the sum of two geometric series the sum of the first N terms being...

$\displaystyle S_{N}= \frac{1+ (-1)^{N}\ e^{i N \theta}}{1+e^{i \theta}} + \frac{1+ (-1)^{N}\ e^{- i N \theta}}{1+e^{- i \theta}}$ (1)

Now what is $\displaystyle \lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} S_{N}$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
Using the identity $\displaystyle \cos n \theta= \frac{e^{i n \theta}+ e^{-i n \theta}}{2} \ $ You obtain that the series is the sum of two geometric series the sum of the first N terms being...

$\displaystyle S_{N}= \frac{1+ e^{i N \theta}}{1+e^{i \theta}} + \frac{1+ e^{- i N \theta}}{1+e^{- i \theta}}$ (1)

Now what is $\displaystyle \lim_{N \rightarrow \infty} S_{N}$?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

When I obtain the same common denominator for those 2 fractions, I don't get the original problem. So how are they equivalent?

Related to Show How to Prove Divergence of g'($\theta$)

What is the definition of divergence in terms of calculus?

Divergence in calculus is a measure of the flow of a vector field out of a given point. It is calculated as the sum of the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each coordinate in space.

Why is it important to prove divergence of a function?

Proving divergence of a function is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the function at a given point. It also helps us to determine the existence of critical points and classify them as maxima, minima, or saddle points.

What is the process for proving divergence of a function?

The process for proving divergence of a function involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable, setting the resulting expression equal to 0, and solving for the critical points. Then, using the second derivative test, we can determine the type of each critical point.

How can I visually represent the divergence of a function?

The divergence of a function can be represented visually by plotting the vector field associated with the function. In this representation, the magnitude and direction of the vectors indicate the rate of flow at each point in space.

What are some real-world applications of understanding divergence?

Understanding divergence has many real-world applications, such as in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and economics. For example, in fluid mechanics, divergence can help us understand the flow of air or water in a particular region. In economics, it can help us analyze the flow of resources or money in a market.