Show Integral of $f(z)$ with Exponential Form

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the image of a complex exponential function can be expressed in terms of another complex exponential function and a sine function. The conversation also mentions the use of a contour integral to evaluate a specific integral involving the original complex exponential function.
polygamma
Show that $ \displaystyle \text{Im} \ \exp \left( ae^{be^{i c \ x}} \right) = \exp \left( ae^{b\cos(cx)\cos (b\sin cx)} \right) \sin \left( a\sin (b\sin c x) e^{b\cos cx} \right) $.EDIT: Then by integrating $ \displaystyle f(z) = \frac{z \exp ( ae^{be^{ic \ x}} )}{z^{2}+d^{2}}$ around a contour that consists of the real axis and the upper half of the circle $|z|=R$, show that

$$ \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{ x\exp \left( ae^{b\cos(cx)\cos (b\sin cx)}\right) \sin \left( a\sin (b\sin cx) e^{b\cos cx} \right)}{x^{2}+d^{2}}\ dx = \frac{\pi}{2}\left( \exp \left( ae^{be^{-c \ d}} \right)-e^{a}\right)$$This requires showing that $ \displaystyle \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{C_{R}} f(z) \ dz = i \pi e^{a}$ where $C_{R}$ is the upper half of the circle $|z|=R$.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$ \int_{C_{R}}f(z)\ dz =\int_{C_{R}}\frac{z}{z^{2}+d^{2}}\ dz+a\int_{C_{R}}\frac{ze^{be^{icx}}}{z^{2}+d^{2}}\ dz+\frac{a^{2}}{2!}\int_{C_{R}}\frac{ze^{2be^{icx}}}{z^{2}+d^{2}}\ dz+\ldots $$

$$ =\int_{C_{R}}\frac{z}{z^{2}+d^{2}}\ dz+a\left(\int_{C_{R}}\frac{z}{z^{2}+d^{2}}\ dz+b\int_{C_{R}}\frac{ze^{icz}}{z^{2}+d^{2}}+\frac{b^{2}}{2!}\int_{C_{R}}\frac{z e^{2icz}}{z^{2}+d^{2}}\ dz+\ldots\right) $$

$$ +\ \frac{a^{2}}{2!}\left(\int_{C_{R}}\frac{z}{z^{2}+d^{2}}\ dz+2b\int_{C_{R}}\frac{ze^{2icz}}{z^{2}+d^{2}}+ \frac{4b^{2}}{2!} \int_{C_{R}} \frac{z e^{4icz}}{z^{2}+d^{2}}\ dz+\ldots\right)+\ldots $$Then using Jordan's lemma and the fact that $ \displaystyle \lim_{|z| \to \infty} z \frac{z}{z^{2}+d^{2}} = 1$,

$$ \lim_{R\to\infty}\int_{C_{R}}f(z)\ dz =\pi i+a (\pi i+0+0+\ldots)+\frac{a^{2}}{2!}(\pi i+0+0+\ldots)+\ldots $$

$$ = i\pi\left( 1+a+\frac{a^{2}}{2!}+\ldots\right) = i\pi e^{a} $$

Related to Show Integral of $f(z)$ with Exponential Form

What is the definition of an integral with exponential form?

An integral with exponential form is a mathematical expression that represents the area under the curve of a function, where the function is raised to a power and multiplied by an exponential function.

Why is it important to show the integral of a function with exponential form?

Showing the integral of a function with exponential form allows us to calculate the area under the curve and evaluate the function at different points, which can be useful in solving real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the steps to show the integral of a function with exponential form?

The steps to show the integral of a function with exponential form include: 1) rewriting the function in exponential form, 2) applying the power rule to the integral, 3) simplifying the exponential term, and 4) evaluating the integral at the given limits of integration.

What are some common functions that can be represented with exponential form?

Some common functions that can be represented with exponential form include exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

How does showing the integral of a function with exponential form relate to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function. Showing the integral of a function with exponential form is one way to find the antiderivative and calculate the integral, making it a useful tool in applying the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.