How Can We Prove that a Recursively Defined Sequence Has a Period of 8?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, $a_{n+8}=a_{n}$ for all $n\ge0$. In summary, we have shown that the sequence $a_{n}$ has a period of 8.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Suppose \(\displaystyle \left({a_n}\right)_{n=1}^\infty\) be recursively defined by $a_0>1$, $a_1>0$ and $a_2>0$,

\(\displaystyle a_{n+3}=\frac{1+a_{n+1}+a_{n+2}}{a_n}\) for $n=0,1,2,\cdots$,

Show that $a_n$ has period of 8.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Show that a_{n+8}=a_n

anemone said:
Suppose \(\displaystyle \left({a_n}\right)_{n=1}^\infty\) be recursively defined by $a_0>1$, $a_1>0$ and $a_2>0$,

\(\displaystyle a_{n+3}=\frac{1+a_{n+1}+a_{n+2}}{a_n}\) for $n=0,1,2,\cdots$,

Show that $a_n$ has period of 8.

In the paper of Lothar Berg 'Nonlinear difference equation with periodic solutions' [2006] it is explained that given a difference equation like... $\displaystyle x_{n+1} = f(x_{n},x_{n-1},...,x_{n-k})\ (1)$... it admits a periodic solution of periodo p if it exists an equilibrium point $x^{*}$ such that... $\displaystyle x^{*} = f(x^{*},x^{*},...,x^{*})\ (2)$... and, defining... $\displaystyle f_{i}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial u_{i}} (x^{*},x^{*},...,x^{*})\ (3)$

... all the rouths of the polynomial... $\displaystyle \lambda^{k+1} - f_{0} \lambda^{k} - ... - f_{k-1} \lambda - f_{k}\ (4)$

... are simple p-th routh of unity. In Your case is...

$\displaystyle x_{n+1}= \frac{1 + x_{n} + x_{n-1}}{x_{n-2}}\ (5)$

... the characteristic polynomial is...

$\displaystyle \lambda^{3} - \frac{1}{x^{*}}\ (\lambda^{2} + \lambda) + 1\ (6)$ ... with $\displaystyle x^{*} = 1 \pm \sqrt{2}$ and the roths of (6) are... $\displaystyle \lambda = -1, \lambda = \frac {1-i}{\sqrt{2}}, \lambda = \frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}, \lambda = - \frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}, \lambda =- \frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}}\ (7)$ ... so that the periodicity p=8 is demonstrated...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

P.S. the Lotahr's article is ...

http://ftp.math.uni-rostock.de/pub/romako/heft61/lothar.pdf

Last edited:

chisigma said:
In the paper of Lothar Berg 'Nonlinear difference equation with periodic solutions' [2006] it is explained that given a difference equation like... $\displaystyle x_{n+1} = f(x_{n},x_{n-1},...,x_{n-k})\ (1)$... it admits a periodic solution of periodo p if it exists an equilibrium point $x^{*}$ such that... $\displaystyle x^{*} = f(x^{*},x^{*},...,x^{*})\ (2)$... and, defining... $\displaystyle f_{i}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial u_{i}} (x^{*},x^{*},...,x^{*})\ (3)$

... all the rouths of the polynomial... $\displaystyle \lambda^{k+1} - f_{0} \lambda^{k} - ... - f_{k-1} \lambda - f_{k}\ (4)$

... are simple p-th routh of unity. In Your case is...

$\displaystyle x_{n+1}= \frac{1 + x_{n} + x_{n-1}}{x_{n-2}}\ (5)$

... the characteristic polynomial is...

$\displaystyle \lambda^{3} - \frac{1}{x^{*}}\ (\lambda^{2} + \lambda) + 1\ (6)$ ... with $\displaystyle x^{*} = 1 \pm \sqrt{2}$ and the roths of (6) are... $\displaystyle \lambda = -1, \lambda = \frac {1-i}{\sqrt{2}}, \lambda = \frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}, \lambda = - \frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}, \lambda =- \frac{1-i}{\sqrt{2}}\ (7)$ ... so that the periodicity p=8 is demonstrated...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

P.S. the Lotahr's article is ...

http://ftp.math.uni-rostock.de/pub/romako/heft61/lothar.pdf

Hi chisigma,

Thanks for participating and thanks for the pdf link too, that's a wonderful reading material to say the least...

I'll only post the solution to this problem later, I just feel there are others who still want to attempt to it. :D

Here is the solution provided by others which I think is worth sharing at MHB:

We're given \(\displaystyle a_{n+3}=\frac{1+a_{n+1}+a_{n+2}}{a_n}\) for $n=0,1,2,\cdots$

First we multiply the equation by $a_n$ to eliminate the fraction and get

$a_{n+3}a_{n}=1+a_{n+1}+a_{n+2}$---(1)

If we replace $n$ by $n-1$, the above equation becomes

$a_{n+2}a_{n-1}=1+a_{n}+a_{n+1}$---(2)

And subtracting the equations (1) and (2) yields

$a_{n+3}a_{n}-a_{n+2}a_{n-1}=a_{n+2}-a_{n}$

Collecting the like terms and factoring out the common factor we now have

$a_{n}(1+a_{n+3})=a_{n+2}(1+a_{n-1})$

Adding the term $a_{n}a_{n+2}$ to both sides we get

$a_{n}(1+a_{n+2}+a_{n+3})=a_{n+2}(1+a_{n-1}+a_{n})$---(*)

And by applying the given recursive equation to (*) we obtain

$a_{n}a_{n+1}a_{n+4}=a_{n+2}a_{n+1}a_{n-2}$

$a_{n}a_{n+4}=a_{n+2}a_{n-2}$---(3)

Replace $n$ by $n-2$ to get

$a_{n-2}a_{n+2}=a_{n}a_{n-4}$---(4)

By comparing the equations (3) and (4) we notice that

$a_{n}a_{n+4}=a_{n}a_{n-4}$

$\therefore a_{n+4}=a_{n-4}$, $n\ge4$

This implies $ a_{n}=a_{n+8}$ for $n\ge0$.

To show that $a_{n+8} = a_n$, we can use mathematical induction.

First, let's check the base case. When $n=0$, we have $a_{0+8} = a_8$ and $a_0 = a_0$, which are both equal to $a_0 > 1$ according to the given recursive definition. Therefore, the base case holds.

Next, assume that $a_{k+8} = a_k$ for some arbitrary $k$. We want to show that $a_{(k+1)+8} = a_{k+1}$.

Using the recursive definition, we have:
$a_{(k+1)+8} = a_{k+9} = \frac{1+a_{k+7}+a_{k+8}}{a_k}$.

Since $a_{k+8} = a_k$ from our assumption, we can substitute and simplify to get:
$a_{(k+1)+8} = \frac{1+a_{k+7}+a_k}{a_k} = \frac{1+a_{k+1}+a_{k+2}}{a_k} = a_{k+3}$

But we know from the given recursive definition that $a_{k+3} = a_{k+1}$, so we can substitute again to get:
$a_{(k+1)+8} = a_{k+1}$

Therefore, by mathematical induction, we have shown that $a_{n+8} = a_n$ for all natural numbers $n$.

Now, to show that $a_n$ has a period of 8, we can look at the values of $a_n$ for $n=0,1,2,\cdots,7$.

For $n=0$, we have $a_0 > 1$.
For $n=1$, we have $a_1 > 0$.
For $n=2$, we have $a_2 > 0$.
For $n=3$, we have $a_3 = \frac{1+a_1+a_2}{a_0} > 0$.
For $n=4$, we have $a_4 = \frac{1+a_2+a_3}{a_1} =

What does the equation an+8 = an mean?

This equation means that the term in the sequence at position n+8 is equal to the term at position n. In other words, there is a pattern where every 8 terms in the sequence have the same value.

How do I prove that an+8 = an?

To prove this equation, you can use mathematical induction. First, show that the equation holds for n=1, by substituting 1 into the equation. Then, assume the equation holds for n=k, and show that it holds for n=k+1. This will prove that the equation holds for all natural numbers.

Can this equation be used to find the value of a specific term in the sequence?

No, this equation only shows the relationship between terms in the sequence. To find the value of a specific term, you would need more information, such as the first term and the common difference (if the sequence is arithmetic) or the first term and the common ratio (if the sequence is geometric).

Does this equation hold for all types of sequences?

No, this equation only holds for certain types of sequences, specifically those that have a constant difference or ratio between terms. This includes arithmetic and geometric sequences, but not all sequences.

What is the significance of this equation in mathematics?

This equation is significant because it shows a pattern in a sequence, which can be useful in predicting future terms or finding missing terms. It also demonstrates the concept of recurrence relations, which are used in various mathematical applications such as in computer science and physics.