Show that complex conjugate is also a root of polynomial with real coefficients

In summary, the root of the polynomial f(x) is where f(c)=0. Take the complex conjugate of that equation, and the root is where f(c)=0.
Muffins

Homework Statement

Suppose that f(x) is a polynomial of degree n with real coefficients; that is,

f(x)=a_n x^n+ a_(n-1) x^(n-1)+ …+a_1 x+ a_0, a_n,… ,a_0∈ R(real)

Suppose that c ∈ C(complex) is a root of f(x). Prove that c conjugate is also a root of f(x)

Homework Equations

(a+bi)*(a-bi) = a^2 + b^2 where a, and b are always reals?
Not really sure if this helps or not.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really clueless on how to start approaching this. I was thinking perhaps the fundamental theorem of algebra might be of some use, or perhaps the fact that a number of complex form multiplied by it's conjugate is a real number, but I'm really not sure.

Could anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The root is where f(c)=0. Take the complex conjugate of that equation.

Never mind! I found the actual theorem on the web, and I think this is pretty much what I was looking for anyway

Consider the polynomial
f(x)=a_n x^n+ a_(n-1) x^(n-1)+ …+a_1 x+ a_0, a_n,… ,a_0∈ R(real)
where all a*x are real. The equation f(x) = 0 is thus
a_n x^n+ a_(n-1) x^(n-1)+ …+a_1 x+ a_0, a_n = 0
Given that all of the coefficients are real, we have
a_n x^n(conjugate) = a_n x^n(x is conjugate)
Thus it follows that
a_n x^n(conj)+ a_(n-1) x^(n-1)(conj)+ …+a_1 x(conj)+ a_0, a_n = 0(conj) = 0
and thus that for any root ζ its complex conjugate is also a root.

Hahah, thanks Dick! I caught on a little late, but thanks a bunch for your reply!

Related to Show that complex conjugate is also a root of polynomial with real coefficients

1. What does it mean for a complex number to be a root of a polynomial?

When a complex number is substituted into a polynomial equation, the resulting expression must equal zero in order for it to be considered a root of that polynomial. In other words, the complex number is a solution to the polynomial equation.

2. How can a complex conjugate be a root of a polynomial with real coefficients?

Since complex conjugates come in pairs, if a complex number is a root of a polynomial with real coefficients, its conjugate will also be a root. This is because the polynomial equation will have both the complex number and its conjugate as solutions, resulting in a zero value when substituted into the equation.

3. Can a complex conjugate be the only root of a polynomial with real coefficients?

Yes, it is possible for a complex conjugate to be the only root of a polynomial with real coefficients. This means that the polynomial equation has only one solution, which is the complex conjugate and its corresponding complex number.

4. Why is it important to show that a complex conjugate is also a root of a polynomial with real coefficients?

It is important because it helps to prove the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that a polynomial of degree n has exactly n complex roots. By showing that complex conjugates are also roots, we are able to account for all n roots of the polynomial.

5. How is the complex conjugate related to the other roots of a polynomial with real coefficients?

The complex conjugate is related to the other roots by the fact that they all come in pairs. For every complex root, there is a corresponding complex conjugate root. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior and solutions of polynomial equations with complex roots.