Show that G is nilpotent when the quotient group is nilpotent

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that if $H\subseteq Z(G)$ and $G/H$ is nilpotent, then $G$ must also be nilpotent. The speaker has constructed a series of normal subgroups $1\leq N_1\leq N_2\leq \cdots \leq N_k=G/H$ with specific properties, and the respondent suggests clarifying the notation and explicitly stating that $1\leq H\leq G$ is included in the series. Overall, the approach appears to be correct.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to show that if $H\subseteq Z(G)$ and $G/H$ is nilpotent then $G$ is also nilpotent. I have done the following:

Since $G/H$ is nilpotent there is a series of normal subgroups $$1\leq N_1\leq N_2\leq \cdots \leq N_k=G/H$$ with $N_{i+1}/N_i\subseteq Z((G/H)/N_i)$.

From the correspondence theorem we have that there is a bijective mapping between the subgroups of $G$ that contain $H$ and the subgroups of $G/H$, $$\phi (A)\mapsto A/H, \ A\in G$$

We define $\tilde{N}_i:=\phi^{-1}(N_i), \ 1\leq i\leq k-1$.
We have that $\phi^{-1}(1)=H, \phi^{-1}(N_k)=\phi^{-1}(G/H)=G$.

Therefore, we get the series of normal subgroups $$1\leq H\leq \tilde{N}_1\leq \tilde{N}_2\leq \cdots \leq \tilde{N}_k=G$$ with $\tilde{N}_{i+1}/\tilde{N}_i\subseteq Z(G/\tilde{N}_i), \ 1\leq i\leq k$, right/ (Wondering)

Is everything correct? (Wondering)

Or do we not take $1\leq H$ at the second series? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Great question. Your approach looks correct so far. However, I would suggest that you clarify your notation a bit. Instead of using $\tilde{N}_i$, which can be confusing, perhaps use $N'_i$ or $M_i$ for the subgroups of $G$ that correspond to $N_i$ in $G/H$. Also, your last question about $1\leq H$ in the second series is a valid concern. It would be better to explicitly state that $1\leq H\leq G$ is included in the series. Keep up the good work!

1. How can I prove that G is nilpotent when the quotient group is nilpotent?

In order to prove that G is nilpotent when the quotient group is nilpotent, you can use the fact that a group G is nilpotent if and only if all its finite quotients are nilpotent. So, if the quotient group of G is nilpotent, then G must also be nilpotent.

2. What is a quotient group?

A quotient group is a group that is obtained by "dividing" another group by a normal subgroup. The elements of the quotient group are the cosets of the normal subgroup, and the group operation is defined by multiplying the cosets together.

3. Can you provide an example of a nilpotent group and its quotient group?

One example of a nilpotent group is the group of upper triangular matrices with 1's on the diagonal and 0's below the diagonal. Its quotient group can be obtained by taking the quotient of this group by the subgroup of matrices with 0's on the last row. This quotient group is also nilpotent.

4. Why is it important to study nilpotent groups?

Nilpotent groups are important in group theory because they have many interesting properties and applications in different areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry, number theory, and topology. They also have connections to other important concepts, such as solvable groups and Lie algebras.

5. Is the converse true? If G is nilpotent, is its quotient group also nilpotent?

Yes, the converse is true. If G is nilpotent, then all of its finite quotients are also nilpotent. This can be proved using the fact that the quotient of a nilpotent group by a normal subgroup is also nilpotent.