Show that R is a partial order on ℤ.

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the problem is that the equation "aRb= bRa" does not always hold. The solution is to assume that b ≠ 1 and show that the equation still holds.
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem and solution are attached as TheProblemAndSolution.jpg.

I will also copy down the problem and solution here.:
Problem:
Consider the set ℤ of integers. Define aRb by b = a^r for some positive integer r. Show that R is a partial order on ℤ, that is, show that R is (a) reflexive; (b) antisymmetric; (c) transitive.

Solution:
(a) R is reflexive since a = a^1.

(b) Suppose aRb and bRa, say b = a^r and a = b^s. Then a = (a^r)^s = a^(rs).
There are three possibilities: (i) rs = 1, (ii) a = 1, and (iii) a = -1.
If rs = 1 then r = 1 and s = 1 and so a = b. If a = 1 then b = 1^r = 1 = a, and, similarly, if b = 1 then a = 1.
Lastly, if a = –1 then b = –1 (since b ≠ 1) and a = b. In all three cases, a = b.
Thus R is antisymmetric.

(c) Suppose aRb and bRc say b = a^r and c = b^s. Then c = (a^r)^s = a^(rs) and, therefore, aRc. Hence R is transitive.

Accordingly, R is a partial order on ℤ.

Homework Equations

Definitions of partial order, reflexive binary relations, antisymmetric binary relations, transitive binary relations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get why if a = –1, then b = –1. If I assume that b ≠ 1, then I get it, but why is b = 1 forbidden?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
If b= a "aRb= bRa" is trivial so you can assume [itex]b\ne a[/itex]. Since this is the case a= 1, you may assume that b is not 1.

By your supposition, bRa, a = b^r for some r. This cannot be true if a = -1 and b = 1.

Sorry, I double-posted.

Orodruin, the thing is, if a ≠ b, then antisymmetry does not hold, and we can't assume that a = b for antisymmetry to hold, because we're trying to show that antisymmetry holds in the first place by showing that a = b must hold.

HallsofIvy, are you saying I should assume a ≠ b, and that I should then show that the equations don't always hold if a ≠ b?

I'm still confused about how I can say that –1 = (–1)^(positive_exponent), because positive_exponent must always be an odd integer for that to hold, but it could be an even integer too, so what do I do?

Sorry, I double-posted.

Never mind, I got it.

Because a = b^s implies that –1 = 1^s is false, b ≠ 1.

Thank you both.

1. What is a partial order?

A partial order is a mathematical concept that describes a relation between elements of a set. It is a reflexive, antisymmetric, and transitive relation, meaning that it satisfies three key properties: every element is related to itself (reflexivity), if two elements are related in one direction then they cannot be related in the opposite direction (antisymmetry), and if two elements are related and one is also related to a third element, then the first element is also related to the third element (transitivity).

2. How is a partial order different from a total order?

In a total order, every pair of elements in a set is related to each other. This means that for any two distinct elements, one must be greater than the other. In contrast, a partial order allows for elements to be unrelated or incomparable, meaning that there may be pairs of elements for which neither is greater than the other.

3. What is R in the statement "Show that R is a partial order on ℤ"?

R refers to the relation being examined, in this case, the relation of "less than or equal to" on the set of integers (ℤ). This relation is often denoted by the symbol ≤.

4. How can we prove that R is a partial order on ℤ?

To prove that R is a partial order on ℤ, we must show that it satisfies the three properties of reflexivity, antisymmetry, and transitivity. This can be done by examining each property separately and providing a mathematical proof using the definition of each property.

5. What are some real-life examples of partial orders?

Partial orders can be found in many areas of life, such as ordering food off a menu (some items may be unrelated or incomparable), ranking sports teams (some teams may have the same number of wins), or organizing a to-do list (some tasks may not have a specific order). Another common example is the "less than or equal to" relation on numbers, as in the statement "2 is less than or equal to 5."