Show that the diophantine equation has only these solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary, the diophantine equation $x^2+y^2=2$ has only four integer solutions: $(x,y)=(1,1),(1,-1), (-1,1), (-1,-1)$. This can be easily shown by considering the possible values of $x^2$ and $y^2$, which are both positive and less than or equal to 2. The only solutions that satisfy the equation are the four mentioned above, and no modulo argument is necessary.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show that the diophantine equation $x^2+y^2=2$ has only these solutions:
$$(x,y)=(1,1),(1,-1), (-1,1), (-1,-1)$$

That's what I have tried:

$$x^2+y^2=2 \Rightarrow x^2=2-y^2$$

$$x^2>0 \Rightarrow 2-y^2>0 \Rightarrow y^2<2 \Rightarrow -\sqrt{2}<y< \sqrt{2} \Rightarrow y=\pm 1,0$$

• $y=0: x= \pm \sqrt{2} \notin \mathbb{Z}$
  • $y=\pm 1: x= \pm 1$

So, the solutions are $(\pm 1, \pm 1), (\pm 2,0)$.

Is it right? Could I also find the solutions, using modulo?

Also, how can I show that these solutions are the only ones? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you are asked to find integer solutions to $x^2 + y^2 = 2$? Is there any chance *rational* solutions were asked?

In the case of integers, it's trivially easy and you're overcomplicating it. $x^2 + y^2 = 2$ and $x^2, y^2$ are both positive (squares can't take negative values). Hence $x^2 \leq 2$ and $y^2 \leq 2$. The only possible integer values of $x$ and $y$ satisfying these are $(x, y) = (\pm 1, \pm 1), (\pm 1, 0), (0, \pm 1), (0, 0)$

And from all of them, only the first four $(\pm 1, \pm 1)$, i.e., $(1, 1), (-1, 1), (1, -1), (-1, -1)$ satisfies the equation. No modulo argument is needed.

EDIT : Oh I observed that you enumerated the wrong solutions $(x, y) = (\pm 2, 0)$. There doesn't work as $x^2 + y^2 = 4 + 0 \neq 2$.

Related to Show that the diophantine equation has only these solutions

1. How do you show that a diophantine equation has only specific solutions?

To show that a diophantine equation has only specific solutions, we use mathematical techniques and proofs to demonstrate that there are no other possible solutions besides the ones that we have found.

2. Can you provide an example of a diophantine equation with only specific solutions?

One example of a diophantine equation with only specific solutions is the Pythagorean equation, a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where a, b, and c are integers. This equation has only infinitely many solutions, known as Pythagorean triples, and no other possible solutions exist.

3. What are some common techniques used to prove that a diophantine equation has only specific solutions?

Some common techniques used to prove that a diophantine equation has only specific solutions include modular arithmetic, number theory, and algebraic manipulation. Other methods may also be used depending on the specific equation.

4. Is it possible for a diophantine equation to have no solutions?

Yes, it is possible for a diophantine equation to have no solutions. This means that there are no values that satisfy the equation when substituted into the variables. An example of such an equation is x^2 + y^2 = -1, where there are no real solutions.

5. Why is it important to show that a diophantine equation has only specific solutions?

Showing that a diophantine equation has only specific solutions is important for several reasons. It helps us understand the properties and behaviors of the equation, and it allows us to make predictions and solve related problems. Additionally, it can provide insight into other areas of mathematics and help us develop new techniques and methods for solving equations.