Show that the function is not differentiable at the point z

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving a function g: R \rightarrow R and a point z \epsilon R, where the function h: R \ \{z\} \rightarrow R, defined as h(x)=\frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z}, is not bounded. It is stated that if g is differentiable at z, then h must be bounded. The conversation then continues to discuss the proof and whether or not both cases of h being bounded need to be shown.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! Could you help me with the following?
Let [tex] g: R \rightarrow R [/tex] a bounded function. There is a point [tex] z \epsilon R [/tex] for which the function [tex] h: R [/tex] \ [tex]\{z\} \rightarrow R [/tex], where [tex] h(x)=\frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z} [/tex] is not bounded. Show that the function [tex] g [/tex] is not differentiable at the point [tex] z [/tex].

My idea is the following:
Let the function [tex] g [/tex] be differentiable at the point [tex] z [/tex], so [tex] lim_{x \rightarrow z}{ \frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z}}=L [/tex]. So there is a ε>0: [tex] |\frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z}-L|<ε [/tex].
[tex] |h(x)|=|h(x)-L+L| \leq |h(x)-L|+|L|=|\frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z}-L|+|L|<ε+|L| [/tex].
So the function [tex] h[/tex] is bounded. That cannot be true. So the function [tex] g [/tex] is not differentiable at the point [tex] z [/tex].

Is my idea right??

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hi! Could you help me with the following?
Let [tex] g: R \rightarrow R [/tex] a bounded function. There is a point [tex] z \epsilon R [/tex] for which the function [tex] h: R [/tex] \ [tex]\{z\} \rightarrow R [/tex], where [tex] h(x)=\frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z} [/tex] is not bounded. Show that the function [tex] g [/tex] is not differentiable at the point [tex] z [/tex].

My idea is the following:
Let the function [tex] g [/tex] be differentiable at the point [tex] z [/tex], so [tex] lim_{x \rightarrow z}{ \frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z}}=L [/tex]. So there is a ε>0: [tex] |\frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z}-L|<ε [/tex].
[tex] |h(x)|=|h(x)-L+L| \leq |h(x)-L|+|L|=|\frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z}-L|+|L|<ε+|L| [/tex].
So the function [tex] h[/tex] is bounded. That cannot be true. So the function [tex] g [/tex] is not differentiable at the point [tex] z [/tex].

Is my idea right??
Absolutely correct! (Sun)

Great! (Clapping)

Now I'm looking again the exercise..
There is a $ε>0$ such that $|\frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z}-L|<ε$ for $|x-z|<δ$, right? So $h$ is bounded for $x$ such that $|x-z|<δ$.
Do I have to show also that $h$ is bounded for $x$ such that $|x-z|>δ$, or is the above enough?

mathmari said:
Now I'm looking again the exercise..
There is a $ε>0$ such that $|\frac{g(x)-g(z)}{x-z}-L|<ε$ for $|x-z|<δ$, right? So $h$ is bounded for $x$ such that $|x-z|<δ$.
Do I have to show also that $h$ is bounded for $x$ such that $|x-z|>δ$, or is the above enough?
Yes, you need to show that if $h$ is unbounded, then it must be unbounded near $z$, not anywhere else. But if $|x-z|\geqslant \delta$ then $\left|\dfrac1{x-z}\right|$ is bounded by $1/\delta$. Also, you know that $g$ is bounded. So it follows that $h$ must indeed be bounded outside the region $|x-z|< \delta$.

Opalg said:
Yes, you need to show that if $h$ is unbounded, then it must be unbounded near $z$, not anywhere else. But if $|x-z|\geqslant \delta$ then $\left|\dfrac1{x-z}\right|$ is bounded by $1/\delta$. Also, you know that $g$ is bounded. So it follows that $h$ must indeed be bounded outside the region $|x-z|< \delta$.

So do I have to show both cases $ |x-z|< \delta$ and $ |x-z|\geq \delta$ ??

Related to Show that the function is not differentiable at the point z

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable at a point?

When we say a function is differentiable at a point, it means that the tangent line to the graph of the function at that point exists and is unique. In other words, the function is smooth and has a well-defined slope at that specific point.

2. How do you show that a function is not differentiable at a point?

To show that a function is not differentiable at a point, we need to check if the limit of the difference quotient (the slope of the secant line passing through the point of interest and another point on the graph) exists and is finite. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the function is not differentiable at that point.

3. What is the difference between a removable and non-removable discontinuity?

A removable discontinuity is a point where a function is undefined, but it can be "filled in" by assigning a value to that point. This means that the function can be made continuous by redefining the value at that point. On the other hand, a non-removable discontinuity is a point where a function is undefined and cannot be made continuous by redefining the value at that point.

4. Can a function be differentiable at some points and not at others?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at some points and not at others. This is because the concept of differentiability is local, meaning that it is only concerned with the behavior of the function at a specific point and its immediate surroundings.

5. How can we determine if a function is differentiable at a point using the graph?

If we have the graph of a function, we can determine if it is differentiable at a point by looking for any sharp turns, corners, or vertical tangents at that point. If any of these exist, then the function is not differentiable at that point. Additionally, we can also calculate the slope of the tangent line at that point using the derivative, and if it does not exist or is infinite, then the function is not differentiable at that point.