Show that the line state is separable

This was demonstrated by showing that the density matrix is diagonal after the transformation, indicating separability.
maxi123
Homework Statement
Consider the "line" state ##rho=\frac{1}{d}\sum_{k=0}^{d-1}P_{0,k}##. Show for arbitrary d that the state is separable.
Relevant Equations
##P_{k,j}=|\Omega_{k,j}><\Omega_{k,j}|## with ##|\Omega_{k,j}>=(W_{k,j}\otimes \mathbb{1})\sum_{s=0}^{d-1}|s,s>##. ##(W_{k,l}## are Weyl-Operators)
I introduced the unitary transformation ##U=U_a \otimes U_b## with ##(U_a\otimes 1):\;|s,s> \rightarrow\,\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\sum_t \omega^{ts}|t,s> ## und ##(1\otimes U_b):\;|s,s> \rightarrow\,\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\sum_t \omega^{-ts}|s,t> ## ##(\omega=e^{2\pi i/d}##) and let it act on the state in the following way ##\frac{1}{d}\sum_{k=0}^{d-1}UP_{0,k}U^\dagger##. By doing so i showed that my density matrix is diagonal and therefore the state is separable. I'm not sure if I can do this transformation (under which the Bellstates are invariant) without changing the separablity/entanglement of the state.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can do this transformation without changing the separability/entanglement of the state. This is because the unitary transformation preserves the entanglement of the state. In particular, if a state is separable before the transformation, it will remain separable after the transformation.

1. What does it mean for a line state to be separable?

Separability is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to the ability to represent a quantum system as a combination of independent subsystems. In the context of a line state, it means that the state of the system can be described as a product of the states of each subsystem along the line.

2. How can you show that a line state is separable?

To show that a line state is separable, we can use the mathematical concept of tensor product to represent the state of the system as a product of the states of each subsystem. If this can be done, then the line state is considered to be separable.

3. What are the implications of a line state being separable?

The separability of a line state has important implications in quantum information and quantum computing. It means that the state of the system can be manipulated and measured in terms of its subsystems, making it easier to understand and control.

4. Can all line states be shown to be separable?

No, not all line states can be shown to be separable. In fact, there are certain line states that are considered to be entangled, meaning they cannot be represented as a product of the states of their subsystems. These entangled line states have unique properties and play a crucial role in quantum information processing.

5. How does the concept of separability in line states relate to other areas of physics?

The concept of separability in line states is closely related to the idea of entanglement in quantum mechanics. It also has connections to other areas of physics such as statistical mechanics and thermodynamics, where the concept of separability is used to describe the behavior of complex systems.