Show that the number of questions he answered is 14, Arithmetic progressions

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, a competitor answered a total of 14 questions correctly in a programme organized by a television channel. They earned a total of 2600 prize money, with 50 for the first question and an arithmetic progression for the rest. If they had to leave with 1300 due to an incorrect answer, it means they earned half the allocated amount for the questions they answered correctly, resulting in 2600. This can be shown by the equation n^2+3n-208=0, where n=14 is the number of questions answered correctly.
mathlearn
A competitor participating in a programme organised by a certain telelvision channel, wins by answering 15 questions correctly. The price money of 50 for the first question, 75 for second question , 100 for third question etc ... given for correct answers , are in an arithmetic progressionA competitor has to leave the programme if a wrong answer is given . In this case , the competitor's prize money is half the amount allocated for all the questions he has answered correctly thus far. If a certain competitor had to leave the competition with 1300 due to not giving the correct answer to a certain question , show that the number of questions he answered is 14.

Thoughts

The original prize money he earned is 2600

This is an sum of an arithmetic progression right?

Formula preferences

I would think that two formulas are possible in this case

$\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n}{2}\left(2a_1+(n-1)d\right)$

or $\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n}{2}\left(a_1+l\right)$ since we know the last term

My attempt

I tried substituting the values into the formula

a=50, n = ? , d= 25

$\displaystyle 2600=\frac{n}{2}\left(50+(n-1)25\right)$

$\displaystyle 2600=\frac{n}{2}\left(50+25n-25\right)$

$\displaystyle 5200={n}\left(50+25n-25\right)$

$\displaystyle 5200=50n+25n^2-25n$

$\displaystyle 5200=25n+25n^2$

$\displaystyle 208=n+n^2$

Assuming that my method of solving this method was true what should be done further to obtain the answer

Many Thanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You substituted 50 for $2a_1$, when you need to use 100...and then your resulting equation would be:

\(\displaystyle 208=3n+n^2\)

or

\(\displaystyle n^2+3n-208=0\)

Now, we may observe that:

\(\displaystyle (16)(-13)=-208\) and \(\displaystyle (16)+(-13)=3\)

Thus, the equation may be written as:

\(\displaystyle (n+16)(n-13)=0\)

Discarding the negative root, we are left with:

\(\displaystyle n=13\)

And this is the number of questions answered correctly, and so the error must have occurred on the 14th question.

mathlearn said:
A competitor participating in a programme organised by a certain telelvision channel, wins by answering 15 questions correctly. The price money of 50 for the first question, 75 for second question , 100 for third question etc ... given for correct answers , are in an arithmetic progressionA competitor has to leave the programme if a wrong answer is given . In this case , the competitor's prize money is half the amount allocated for all the questions he has answered correctly thus far. If a certain competitor had to leave the competition with 1300 due to not giving the correct answer to a certain question , show that the number of questions he answered is 14.

Thoughts

The original prize money he earned is 2600

This is an sum of an arithmetic progression right?

Formula preferences

I would think that two formulas are possible in this case

or $\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n}{2}\left(a_1+l\right)$ since we know the last term

My attempt

I tried substituting the values into the formula

a=50, n = ? , d= 25

$\displaystyle 2600=\frac{n}{2}\left(50+(n-1)25\right)$

$\displaystyle 5200={n}\left(50+25n-25\right)$

$\displaystyle 5200=50n+25n^2-25n$

$\displaystyle 5200=25n+25n^2$

$\displaystyle 208=n+n^2$

Assuming that my method of solving this method was true what should be done further to obtain the answer

Many Thanks :)

The problematic point is
which should be
$\displaystyle 2600=\frac{n}{2}\left(2* 50+25n-25\right)$

proceeding you shall get

$\displaystyle 208=3n+n^2$

this is quadratic in n and we have
$(n^2+3n- 208 = 0$ factoring we get $(n-13)(n+16) = -$ so n = 13 or - 16
but n is positive so n = 13
one incorrect ans giving 14 as the answer

What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers in which the difference between any two consecutive terms is a constant. This constant difference is known as the common difference.

How do you find the common difference in an arithmetic progression?

The common difference in an arithmetic progression can be found by subtracting any two consecutive terms in the sequence.

What is the formula for finding the nth term in an arithmetic progression?

The formula for finding the nth term in an arithmetic progression is:
an = a1 + (n-1)d
Where an represents the nth term, a1 represents the first term, and d represents the common difference.

How can you prove that the number of terms in an arithmetic progression is 14?

The number of terms in an arithmetic progression can be calculated using the formula:
n = (an - a1)/d + 1
Where n represents the number of terms, an represents the last term, a1 represents the first term, and d represents the common difference. By substituting the given values, we can solve for n and show that it is equal to 14.

What are some real-life examples of arithmetic progressions?

Examples of arithmetic progressions in daily life include the number of floors in a building, the amount of money in a savings account over time, and the number of students in a classroom as they line up by height.