Show that the Poiseuille field of flow is rotational

• Thread starter Ben2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    equations
Ben2
Homework Statement
From Halliday & Resnick, "Physics for Students of Science and Engineering", Problem 18.21: "The so-called Poiseuille field of flow is shown in Fig. 18-20. The spacing of the streamlines indicates that although the motion is rectilinear, there is a velocity gradient in the transverse direction. Show that such a flow is rotational."
Relevant Equations
A_1*v_1 = A_2*v_2 (Equation of continuity)
p_1 + (1/2)\rho*v_1^2 + \rho*g*y_1 = p_2 + (1/2)\rho*v_2^2 + \rho*g*y_2
I tried using these equations, but it's not clear if we should hold y_1 = y_2. A transverse velocity vector would produce a flow at some angle to the horizontal, but How do they known there's such a vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ben2 said:
I tried using these equations, but ....
Is there a relevant equation from the textbook related to "rotational flow"?

Ben2 said:
A transverse velocity vector would produce a flow at some angle to the horizontal, but How do they known there's such a vector?

Note that the homework statement says that there is a velocity gradient in the transverse direction. This does not imply that the velocity itself has a transverse component. You can have a velocity gradient in the transverse direction even though the velocity at every point is horizontal.

Can you describe Fig 18-20?

Set [itex]\mathbf{u}(x,y,z) = u(y)\mathbf{e}_x[/itex] and compute the curl. Does it vanish identically?

I had a look at an old copy of Halliday's text. See if problem 18.20 contains information about how to check that a velocity field is irrotational or rotational by considering the line integral of the velocity field around closed paths: ##\oint \vec v \cdot \vec {ds}##. Then apply that to problem 18.21.

TSny said:
Is there a relevant equation from the textbook related to "rotational flow"?
Note that the homework statement says that there is a velocity gradient in the transverse direction. This does not imply that the velocity itself has a transverse component. You can have a velocity gradient in the transverse direction even though the velocity at every point is horizontal.

Can you describe Fig 18-20?
Thanks for your timely response! I've not previously heard of a velocity gradient. Figure 18-20 features ten horizontal streamlines, where the spacing narrows from top and bottom to the middle three. Theorem 10, Chapter 13 of Stewart's "Calculus" gives the curvature k(t) = |r'(t) x r"(t)|/|r'(t)|^3. But if there's no vector in the transverse direction, I don't see how to prove the flow is rotational.

Ben2 said:
Thanks for your timely response! I've not previously heard of a velocity gradient. Figure 18-20 features ten horizontal streamlines, where the spacing narrows from top and bottom to the middle three. Theorem 10, Chapter 13 of Stewart's "Calculus" gives the curvature k(t) = |r'(t) x r"(t)|/|r'(t)|^3. But if there's no vector in the transverse direction, I don't see how to prove the flow is rotational.
I’m not sure what edition of the textbook you have. I found a very early edition. In section 18-1 it gives a qualitative description of rotational and irrotational flow. Then, in problem 18.20, a mathematical test is described for rotational flow. It says,

“A flow is a potential flow (hence irrotational) if ##\oint \vec V \cdot \vec{ds} =0## for every closed path in the field.”

In problem 18.21, you want to show that the flow shown in Fig. 18-20 is rotational. So, you need to show that there exists a closed path for which ##\oint \vec V \cdot \vec{ds} \neq 0##.

1701118463961.png

In the figure, the flow is horizontal everywhere. From the spacing of the lines of flow, you can see that the speed changes as you move transversely to the direction of flow. This is the "velocity gradient in the transverse direction" mentioned in the problem statement. Can you visualize a closed path for which ##\oint \vec V \cdot \vec{ds} \neq 0##?

Thanks to Tsny and pasmith for help with this! Will do Problem 18.20 as suggested.
Ben2

Likes TSny

1. What is the Poiseuille flow?

The Poiseuille flow is a type of laminar flow that occurs when a fluid, such as a liquid or gas, flows through a cylindrical pipe or tube. It is named after French physicist Jean Louis Marie Poiseuille, who first described this type of flow in the 19th century.

2. What is the Poiseuille field of flow?

The Poiseuille field of flow is a mathematical model that describes the velocity profile of the fluid in a Poiseuille flow. It is a parabolic function that shows how the velocity of the fluid changes as it moves through the pipe, with the highest velocity at the center of the pipe and decreasing towards the walls.

3. What does it mean for the Poiseuille field of flow to be rotational?

When we say that the Poiseuille field of flow is rotational, it means that the flow has a non-zero curl or vorticity. This means that the fluid particles in the flow are rotating around an axis, rather than just moving in a straight line. In other words, there is a swirling motion present in the flow.

4. How is the rotational nature of the Poiseuille flow demonstrated?

The rotational nature of the Poiseuille flow can be demonstrated through the use of a flow visualization technique, such as adding dye or particles to the fluid and observing their movement. This will show the swirling motion of the fluid particles, confirming the presence of vorticity in the flow.

5. Why is it important to show that the Poiseuille field of flow is rotational?

Understanding the rotational nature of the Poiseuille flow is important in various applications, such as in the design of pipes and channels for fluid transport. It can also help in predicting the behavior of fluids in different scenarios, such as in blood flow in the human body. Additionally, studying the rotational nature of the flow can provide insights into the underlying physical mechanisms and aid in the development of more accurate mathematical models.