Show that this inner product is positive definite

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a mathematical problem involving integration by parts and proving that an inner product is positive definite. The first part of the problem involves proving that the inner product is positive definite and the second part involves finding the inner product for a given function. The conversation also includes a hint to consider the definition of positive definite and a mistake made during the solution process. Finally, there is a request for advice on part b of the problem, which involves showing that the inner product is equal to zero if and only if the function is equal to zero. The conversation ends with a summary of the theorem that may be helpful in solving part b of the problem.
pondzo

Homework Statement

MathProblemSheet4#1.PNG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to do the second part of part a using integration by parts. But I am having no luck for the first part, proving that the inner product is positive definite. Pointers are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what does it mean for an inner product to be positive definite?

Is this acceptable ?

##g(f,f)=\int_0^1 f(-p'f'-pf''+qf)dx\\~~~~~~~~~~~=\int_0^1-fp'f'-fpf''+qf^2dx\\~~~~~~~~~~~=\int_0^1-ff'p'dx-\int_0^1pff''dx+\int_0^1qf^2dx\\~~~~~~~~~~~=-[fpf']_0^1+\int_0^1p(f')^2dx+\int_0^1pff''dx-\int_0^1pff''dx+\int_0^1qf^2dx\\~~~~~~~~~~~=\int_0^1p(f')^2dx+\int_0^1pf^2dx##
Which is positive definite due to the square and p,q being positive definite and positive or zero.

Well, you do not have to do all of the partial integrations as this was the form the inner product was given on from the beginning, and the last p should be a q, but otherwise fine.

Oh of course, my mistake!

Do you think you would be able to give me some advice on part b ?

MathProblemSheet4#2.PNG

pondzo said:
Is this acceptable ?

##g(f,f)=\int_0^1 f(-p'f'-pf''+qf)dx\\~~~~~~~~~~~=\int_0^1-fp'f'-fpf''+qf^2dx\\~~~~~~~~~~~=\int_0^1-ff'p'dx-\int_0^1pff''dx+\int_0^1qf^2dx\\~~~~~~~~~~~=-[fpf']_0^1+\int_0^1p(f')^2dx+\int_0^1pff''dx-\int_0^1pff''dx+\int_0^1qf^2dx\\~~~~~~~~~~~=\int_0^1p(f')^2dx+\int_0^1pf^2dx##
Which is positive definite due to the square and p,q being positive definite and positive or zero.

No, in the first part of the question, you are being asked to show that for all ##f\in V_0##

(a) ## g(f,f) \ge 0 ##
(b) ## g(f,f) = 0 \Rightarrow f = 0 ##

Point (a) is easy, point (b) is more subtle and continuity plays a central role.

EDIT:
I realized I didn't help much in my post: there is a theorem that says that if ##f: [a,b] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## is continuous, non-negative, and such that ##\int_a^b f(x) \ dx = 0 ##, then ## f = 0 ##

Last edited:

Related to Show that this inner product is positive definite

1. How is positive definiteness defined in an inner product?

In an inner product space, positive definiteness means that the inner product of any non-zero vector with itself is always greater than zero.

2. What is the significance of positive definiteness in an inner product?

Positive definiteness is important because it ensures that the inner product space has a well-defined notion of length and angle, which are essential for many mathematical and physical applications.

3. How can we show that an inner product is positive definite?

To show that an inner product is positive definite, we need to prove that the inner product of any non-zero vector with itself is always greater than zero. This can be done using the properties of inner products, such as bilinearity, symmetry, and positivity.

4. Can an inner product be positive definite for some vectors but not others?

No, an inner product must be positive definite for all vectors in the given inner product space. If an inner product is not positive definite, it is not a valid inner product.

5. What is the relation between positive definiteness and the norm of a vector in an inner product space?

The norm of a vector in an inner product space is defined as the square root of the inner product of the vector with itself. Therefore, the positive definiteness of an inner product ensures that the norm of a non-zero vector is always greater than zero, which is a fundamental property of norms.