Shower Mixer Taps: Physics & Maths Explained

• Thread starter billm
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the physics and maths behind shower mixer taps and how they work as a second order control system. The correlation between the control position and actual water temperature is a theory that Einstein was unable to solve before his death. A humorous comment is made about the chosen life path, and it is mentioned that the taps use a baffle to regulate the temperature.
billm
TL;DR Summary
Can anybody advise where I might find details of the physics and maths of shower mixer taps. My shower behaves like a second order control system (damped temperature oscillation as a result of a step temperature change). How does this work?
Can anybody advise where I might find details of the physics and maths of shower mixer taps.
My shower behaves like a second order control system (damped temperature oscillation as a result of a step temperature change). How does this work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The correlation between shower temperature control position and actual emitted water temperature is the very theory Einstein was groping toward in the last years of his life. Tragically, he died having never solved it.

My condolences for the life path you have chosen.

(This is a joke. I have no useful contribution to your question.)

• Haha
  • Love
Likes gmax137, Tom.G and berkeman
They use a baffle that gets pushed side to side based on pressure changes between the hot/cold. That movement opens and closes control valves to keep the ratio constant.

• Informative
Likes gmax137, Tom.G, Lnewqban and 1 other person

1. How do shower mixer taps work?

Shower mixer taps work by combining hot and cold water to achieve the desired temperature. Inside the tap, there are two separate pipes for hot and cold water. When the tap is turned on, the water from both pipes is mixed together and then flows out of the tap at the desired temperature.

2. What is the physics behind shower mixer taps?

The physics behind shower mixer taps involves the principles of fluid dynamics. The tap controls the flow rate of hot and cold water, and the water molecules mix together to achieve equilibrium at a specific temperature. The tap also uses pressure and flow to regulate the temperature and intensity of the water.

3. How does the temperature of the water change when adjusting a shower mixer tap?

The temperature of the water changes when adjusting a shower mixer tap due to the change in the ratio of hot and cold water being mixed. As the tap is turned towards the hot side, more hot water is allowed to flow, increasing the temperature. Similarly, turning the tap towards the cold side decreases the temperature.

4. Can the flow rate of water be controlled with a shower mixer tap?

Yes, the flow rate of water can be controlled with a shower mixer tap. The tap has a valve that can be adjusted to regulate the flow of water. This valve controls the amount of water that is allowed to pass through the tap, thus controlling the flow rate.

5. How do the principles of maths apply to shower mixer taps?

The principles of maths apply to shower mixer taps in various ways. The tap uses ratios and proportions to adjust the temperature and flow rate of water. Additionally, the tap may also have measurements and markings to indicate the temperature and flow rate settings, which involve basic arithmetic and geometry.