Showing a polynomial is irreducible

• MHB
  • Thread starter kalish1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary: Therefore, in summary, we can show that $x^m+y^n-1$ is irreducible in $\mathbb{C}[x,y]$ by using the irreducible polynomial $y-1$ and showing that it satisfies the criteria for Eisenstein's Criterion.
kalish1
Given $m,n \in \mathbb{N},$ how can I show that the polynomial $x^m+y^n-1$ is irreducible in $\mathbb C[x,y]$?

I'm given the following hint, but I don't follow. Note: I know Eisenstein's Criterion.

*Adapt Eisenstein's Criterion to work in $\mathbb C[x,y]$ by using irreducibles in $\mathbb C[y]$ instead of primes in $\mathbb Z$, namely $y-1$ in this case - it needs to be shown that $y-1 \not | y^{n-1}+\cdots+1$.*

This question has been crossposted here: abstract algebra - Showing a polynomial is irreducible over $\mathbb{C[x,y]}$ - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

To show that $x^m+y^n-1$ is irreducible in $\mathbb{C}[x,y]$, we can use the following adaptation of Eisenstein's Criterion:

If there exists an irreducible polynomial $p(y) \in \mathbb{C}[y]$ such that $p(y)$ divides each coefficient of $y^{n-1}+\cdots+1$ except the leading coefficient, and $p(y)$ does not divide the constant term, then $x^m+y^n-1$ is irreducible in $\mathbb{C}[x,y]$.

In this case, we can choose $p(y)=y-1$. Since $p(y)$ does not divide the constant term $-1$, we just need to show that $p(y)$ divides each coefficient of $y^{n-1}+\cdots+1$.

Notice that when we expand $y^{n-1}+\cdots+1$, each term has a factor of $y-1$ except for the constant term $1$. Therefore, $p(y)$ divides each coefficient of $y^{n-1}+\cdots+1$ and thus $x^m+y^n-1$ is irreducible in $\mathbb{C}[x,y]$.

This is because if $y-1$ divides each coefficient of $y^{n-1}+\cdots+1$, then each term can be written as $a(y-1)$ for some $a \in \mathbb{C}$. This means that when we expand the polynomial, each term will have a factor of $y-1$ and we will be left with only the constant term $1$, which $p(y)$ does not divide. Therefore, $p(y)$ must divide each coefficient of $y^{n-1}+\cdots+1$.

Hence, $x^m+y^n-1$ is irreducible in $\mathbb{C}[x,y]$ by our adapted version of Eisenstein's Criterion.

1. What does it mean for a polynomial to be irreducible?

A polynomial is considered irreducible if it cannot be factored into two or more polynomials with coefficients in the same field. In other words, it cannot be broken down into simpler, smaller polynomials.

2. How can I show that a polynomial is irreducible?

There are a few different methods for showing that a polynomial is irreducible. One way is to try to factor the polynomial and if you cannot find any factors, then it is irreducible. Another method is to use the Eisenstein's criterion, which states that if a polynomial has a prime number that divides all but the leading coefficient, and the constant term is not divisible by the prime, then the polynomial is irreducible.

3. Can a polynomial be irreducible in one field but reducible in another?

Yes, a polynomial can be irreducible in one field but reducible in another. For example, the polynomial x^2+1 is irreducible in the field of real numbers but is reducible in the field of complex numbers as it can be factored into (x+i)(x-i).

4. Are all polynomials of degree 2 or higher irreducible?

No, not all polynomials of degree 2 or higher are irreducible. For example, the polynomial x^2+2x+1 can be factored into (x+1)^2. This means that it is reducible and not irreducible.

5. Why is it important to show that a polynomial is irreducible?

Showing that a polynomial is irreducible is important because it can help us understand the behavior of the polynomial and its roots. If a polynomial is irreducible, it means that it cannot be simplified or broken down any further, making it easier to work with in calculations and applications. Additionally, knowing if a polynomial is irreducible or not can also help us determine if it is possible to find a solution to certain equations involving the polynomial, such as finding roots or solving for unknown variables.