Showing continuous function has min or max using Cauchy limit def.

In summary, the given problem states that if a continuous function has the same limit at positive and negative infinity, it will have a maximum or minimum on the real numbers. The proof uses the definitions of the limit at infinity and shows that for the case where the limit is infinite, the function has a maximum or minimum. It then goes on to prove the case where the limit is finite. The question asks about the phrase in red and confirms that the chosen instantiation works. Another question clarifies the definitions used and shows how the phrase in red can be derived from them. The final question asks about the definition for the limit at positive infinity being equal to negative infinity and confirms that it is correct.
CGandC
Problem: Let ## f: \Bbb R \to \Bbb R ## be continuous. It is known that ## \lim_{x \to \infty } f(x) = \lim_{x \to -\infty } f(x) = l \in R \cup \{ \pm \infty \} ##. Prove that ## f ## gets maximum or minimum on ## \Bbb R ##.

Proof: First we'll regard the case ## l = \infty ## ( the case where ## l = -\infty ## is similar ). Denote ## | f(0) | = M ##. By the given there exists ## N>0 ## large enough s.t. for all ## |x| > N ## , ## f(x) > M \geq f(0) ##. [ The proof continues by using weierstrass theorem, finishes for the infinite case, and then it proves for the case where ## l ## is finite ]

My question: I was wondering about how they got to the phrase in red. I know they used the definitions for ## \lim_{x \to \infty } f(x) = \infty ## , ## \lim_{x \to -\infty } f(x) = \infty ## which are:
## \lim_{x \to \infty } f(x) = \infty \iff ## ## \forall M>0 .\exists R_1>0. \forall x \in (R_1,\infty). f(x) > M ##
## \lim_{x \to -\infty } f(x) = \infty \iff ## ## \forall M<0 .\exists R_2<0. \forall x \in (-\infty,R_2). f(x) > M##

What instantiation they used and how did they choose ## N ##? ( did they chose ## N := max \{ R_1 , |R_2| \} ## after instantiating a variable in the universal quantifiers? ) how from these two definitions I get to the phrase in red?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your choice should work. if you chose ##N = \max{\{R_1, -R_2\}}## and you assume ##|x| > N##, knowing that, by definition ##N > R_1##, ##N > -R_2## what can you say about ##x## and ##R_{1,2}##?

Likes Delta2
I can say that ## x > N > R_1 ## or ## x< -N < R_2 ##.
If ## x > N > R_1 ## then ## f(x) > M ##
If ## x< -N < R_2 ## then ## f(x) > -|M| ##.

How do I get ## f(x) > M ## for both cases ( for ## x > N > R_1 ## or ## x< -N < R_2 ## )?

For ##x<-N \leq R_2## you still have f(x)>M. It's directly coming from the definition of the limit. The limit is positive infinity.

Likes Delta2
CGandC said:
## \lim_{x \to -\infty } f(x) = \infty \iff ## ## \forall M<0 .\exists R_2<0. \forall x \in (-\infty,R_2). f(x) > M##

What instantiation they used and how did they choose ## N ##? ( did they chose ## N := max \{ R_1 , |R_2| \} ## after instantiating a variable in the universal quantifiers? ) how from these two definitions I get to the phrase in red?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!
The above line is wrong. You have to say for all M>0 and the rest remains as it is. Don't forget, even though our independent variable x goes to minus infinity, the limit remains positive infinity so it has to be for all M>0.

Likes CGandC and Gaussian97
Thank you. With this correction things sit perfectly well!

I have one more question - Is the following definition for ## \lim\limits_{x \to +\infty} f(x) = -\infty ## correct?:
## \lim\limits_{x \to +\infty} f(x) = -\infty \iff \forall M<0 .\exists R>0. \forall x \in (R,\infty). f(x) < M ##

Likes Delta2
Yes looks fine to me, now the limit is minus infinity so it should be for all ##M<0## (or alternatively M>0 but we require ##f(x)<-M##.

Likes CGandC
Ok thanks for the help! that'd be all.

Likes Delta2

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has no sudden jumps or breaks in its graph. This means that as the input values of the function change, the output values change smoothly and without interruption.

What is a minimum or maximum of a continuous function?

The minimum or maximum of a continuous function refers to the lowest or highest point on the graph of the function, respectively. These points are also known as the global minimum or maximum, as they represent the overall lowest or highest value of the function.

What is the Cauchy limit definition?

The Cauchy limit definition is a mathematical concept used to prove the existence of a minimum or maximum for a continuous function. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then it must have a minimum and maximum value on that interval.

How do you use the Cauchy limit definition to find the minimum or maximum of a function?

To use the Cauchy limit definition, you first need to determine if the function is continuous on a closed interval. If it is, then you can use the definition to show that the function must have a minimum and maximum value on that interval. This is done by finding the limit of the function as the input values approach the endpoints of the interval.

Why is it important to prove that a continuous function has a minimum or maximum?

Proving that a continuous function has a minimum or maximum is important because it allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of the function. For example, we can determine the highest or lowest possible values of the function, which can be useful in various applications such as optimization problems.