Showing Linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linearity
In summary: So $x1_{K(a)} - \varphi$ sends $e\in K(a)$ to $xe - ae$.The map $x1_{K(a)}$ sends $e\in K(a)$ to $xe$. So $x1_{K(a)} - \varphi$ sends $e\in K(a)$ to $xe - ae$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $K \leq K(a)$ a field extension with $[K(a):K]=n$.

$K(a)$ is a vector space over $K$.

How can I show that the map $\varphi : K(a) \rightarrow K(a)$, with $\varphi(e)=ae$, is a $K-$linear map??

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Let $K \leq K(a)$ a field extension with $[K(a):K]=n$.

$K(a)$ is a vector space over $K$.

How can I show that the map $\varphi : K(a) \rightarrow K(a)$, with $\varphi(e)=ae$, is a $K-$linear map??

Hi mathmari,

To show that $\varphi$ is $K$-linear, you must verify

\(\displaystyle \varphi(te + e') = t\varphi(e) + \varphi(e') \quad \text{for all} \quad t\in K, \, e, e'\in K(a).\)

Euge said:
Hi mathmari,

To show that $\varphi$ is $K$-linear, you must verify

\(\displaystyle \varphi(te + e') = t\varphi(e) + \varphi(e') \quad \text{for all} \quad t\in K, \, e, e'\in K(a).\)

I understand! Thank you! (Sun)

I have also an other question...

I am also asked to show that $a$ is a root of the characteristic polynomial of $\varphi$.

Which is the characteristic polynomial of $\varphi$?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I understand! Thank you! (Sun)

I have also an other question...

I am also asked to show that $a$ is a root of the characteristic polynomial of $\varphi$.

Which is the characteristic polynomial of $\varphi$?? (Wondering)

It's $p(x) = \text{det}(x1_{K(a)} - \varphi)$. The map $x1_{K(a)} - \varphi$ sends $e \in K(a)$ to $xe - ae$.

Euge said:
It's $p(x) = \text{det}(x1_{K(a)} - \varphi)$. The map $x1_{K(a)} - \varphi$ sends $e \in K(a)$ to $xe - ae$.

Could you explain me what $x1$ is ?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Could you explain me what $x1$ is ?? (Wondering)

The map $x1_{K(a)}$ sends $e\in K(a)$ to $xe$.

What is "Showing Linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$"?

Showing Linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$ is a process in mathematics where we prove that the function $\varphi$ is linear for the field extension $K(a)$, where $K$ is the base field and $a$ is the extension element. This is an important concept in abstract algebra and is used to understand the properties of field extensions.

Why is it important to show linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$?

Showing linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$ is important because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of field extensions. It also allows us to prove important theorems and results related to field extensions, which are used in various branches of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and number theory.

What are the basic steps involved in showing linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$?

The basic steps involved in showing linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$ are as follows:

1. Assume that $\varphi$ is linear for $K(a)$.
  2. Show that $\varphi$ preserves addition and scalar multiplication.
  3. Show that $\varphi$ is well-defined, i.e. that it gives the same output for the same input.
  4. Show that $\varphi$ is injective, i.e. that distinct inputs have distinct outputs.
  5. Show that $\varphi$ is surjective, i.e. that every element in the codomain has a preimage in the domain.

What are some common techniques used to show linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$?

Some common techniques used to show linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$ include using the definition of linearity, using the properties of field extensions, and using specific properties of the extension element $a$. Other techniques may also be used depending on the specific context and problem being considered.

What are some examples of showing linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$?

One example of showing linearity of $\varphi$ for $K(a)$ is proving that the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $K$, denoted as $m_a(x)$, is a linear combination of powers of $a$. Another example is proving that the trace and norm functions are linear for field extensions. These are important results that are used in many areas of mathematics, such as Galois theory and algebraic number theory.