Showing Rigid Rotor Microstates with Angular Momentum ≤ M

In summary: You could choose the limits of integration to be where the magnitude of the momentum vector is maximized.
halley00

Homework Statement

By evaluating the "volume" of the relevant region of its phase space, show that the number of microstates available to a rigid rotor with angular momentum less or equal to M is (M/ħ)2.

Homework Equations

Consider the motion in the variables θ and φ, with M^{2}=(p_{θ})2+{p_{φ}/{sin(θ)}2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just integrated the "volume": (1/h²)∫0πdθ∫0dφ∫0Mdpθ0Msinθdpφ,

For some reason I'm missing a π. Why? I'm getting a "volume" 4π(M/h)2
Maybe I'm making a mistake in the choice of the limits of integration.

Sorry, I don't know how to write the equations in clean way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Welcome to PF!

Note that while integrating over ##p_\phi##, the variable ##p_{\theta}## is fixed at some value. Using the relation ##M^2 = p_{\theta}^2 +\frac{ p_{\phi}^2}{\sin^2 \theta}##, what are the limits for the integration over ##p_{\phi}##?

(Can the angular momenta components ##p_\theta## and ##p_\phi## be negative?)

No angular momentum can't be negative so those components can't be negative either. But I don't know what the limits for p_phi are supposed to be. (I'm also having trouble with this problem.)

Met119 said:
No angular momentum can't be negative so those components can't be negative either. But I don't know what the limits for p_phi are supposed to be. (I'm also having trouble with this problem.)
The components of angular momentum can be negative as well as positive.

For the limits of integration, it might help to consider a simpler, but similar, problem. Suppose you have a single particle moving in two dimensions. In Cartesian coordinates the magnitude of linear momentum, p, is related to the components of momentum, px and py, by

p2 = px2 + py2.

Suppose you want to integrate over the momentum portion of phase space to get the "volume" corresponding to all momentum values 0 < p < P0. How would you choose the limits of integration in ∫dpy ∫dpx?

1. What is a rigid rotor microstate?

A rigid rotor microstate refers to a specific arrangement of a molecule or system of particles in which the bonds between the particles remain fixed or rigid. In other words, the positions and orientations of the particles do not change relative to each other.

2. How is angular momentum related to rigid rotor microstates?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a system. In the context of rigid rotor microstates, the angular momentum is limited to a specific value, denoted as M. This value represents the maximum angular momentum that the system can possess, based on its physical properties.

3. Why is it important to show rigid rotor microstates with angular momentum ≤ M?

Showing rigid rotor microstates with angular momentum ≤ M is important because it allows us to visualize the different possible orientations and arrangements of a molecule or system of particles. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of a system, such as its energy levels and transitions between them.

4. How can rigid rotor microstates with angular momentum ≤ M be represented?

Rigid rotor microstates with angular momentum ≤ M can be represented using various methods, such as diagrams, mathematical equations, or computer simulations. In these representations, the particles are typically depicted as point masses, and their positions and orientations are shown relative to each other.

5. What factors determine the number of rigid rotor microstates with angular momentum ≤ M?

The number of rigid rotor microstates with angular momentum ≤ M is determined by several factors, including the number of particles in the system, their masses, and the moment of inertia of the system. Other factors, such as the shape and symmetry of the molecule, can also play a role in determining the number of microstates.