Showing Sequences Converge/Diverge

• MHB
  • Thread starter ZCohen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, a limit is the only way to determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent. If a sequence is convergent, then the limit will be equal to the sequence's value at that point.
ZCohen
I have had some introduction to set theory and have gone through calculus in a theoretical manner up through first and second order differential equations. However, we are now working on sequences (and series, but I find series to be less of a problem). There doesn't seem to be an easy way to go about showing whether a sequence is convergent or divergent other than using comparison theorems or actually evaluating a limit.

(comparison theorems i.e. xb = little-o (eax) ; a,b > 0)

Is there any way that I am overlooking to evaluate the convergence of sequences?
My question arose when considering the problem

{f(n)} = n2 / (n+1) - (n2 + 1) / n ,

which I thought to converge to 0 while it actually converges to -1.

Physics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle f(n)=\frac{n^2}{n+1}-\frac{n^2+1}{n}= \frac{-n^2-n-1}{n^2+n} \)

Then what is the limit of the expression ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
\(\displaystyle f(n)=\frac{n^2}{n+1}-\frac{n^2+1}{n}= \frac{-n^2-n-1}{n^2+n} \)

Then what is the limit of the expression ?
So this leads me to ask, is a limit the only method of determining convergence of a sequence? And if so, why do some books (in my experience) ask first if a sequence is convergent then ask for the evaluation of the limit?

ZCohen said:
So this leads me to ask, is a limit the only method of determining convergence of a sequence? And if so, why do some books (in my experience) ask first if a sequence is convergent then ask for the evaluation of the limit?

If the limit of a sequence exits , then it is convergent.

- - - Updated - - -

In real analysis , you might be asked prove that the sequence is convergent then you can use the definition without needing to find the limit.

ZCohen said:

We need to know that technique. Imagine you have the sequence $a_{n+1}=\sqrt{6+a_n},\;a_1=0$ and we are not interested in an explicit formula for $a_n$ (or we can't find it). If the sequence has a limit $L$, then, $L=\sqrt{6+L}$ and solving the equation we get $L=3$ or $L=-2$, so necessarily $L=3$ because $a_n\geq 0$ for all $n$.

We have not yet proved that $a_n$ is convergent. If we prove (for example) that the sequence is increasing and bounded above, then we can assure that the limit is $L=3$.

Also, in Complex Analysis we sometimes need to kow if an improper real integral is previously convergent because in that case, is equal to its Cauchy principal value ... etc. (Perhaps you'll cover this in the future).

Related to Showing Sequences Converge/Diverge

1. What is the definition of a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a single finite limit as the index of the sequence increases. In other words, as the sequence continues, the terms get closer and closer to a specific number.

2. How can you prove that a sequence is convergent?

To prove that a sequence is convergent, you can use the epsilon-delta definition. This involves showing that for any positive number epsilon, there exists a positive integer N such that for all values of n greater than or equal to N, the absolute value of the difference between the n-th term of the sequence and the limit is less than epsilon.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence approaches a single finite limit, while a divergent sequence does not have a limit. In a divergent sequence, the terms either increase or decrease without bound.

4. Can a sequence have multiple limits?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. If a sequence has multiple limits, it is considered to be divergent.

5. How can you determine if a sequence is divergent?

To determine if a sequence is divergent, you can use the definition of divergence. A sequence is divergent if for any possible limit L, there exists a positive number epsilon such that for all values of n, the absolute value of the difference between the n-th term and L is greater than or equal to epsilon.