Showing that operators follow SU(2) algebra

In summary, there is a question about whether the raising and lowering operators and number operator for two quantum oscillators follow the commutation relations of the SU(2) algebra. The basis transformations can be found at the given link, with the operators N, T_+, T_-, T_1, T_2, and T_3 corresponding to H, X, Y, U, V, and W respectively.
graviton_10
For two quantum oscillators, I have raising and lowering operators
gif.gif
and
gif.gif
, and the number operator
gif.gif
. I need to check if operators below follow
gif.gif
commutation relations.

gif.gif

gif.gif

Now as far as I know, SU(2) algebra commutation relation is [T_1, T_2] = i ε^ijk T_3. So, should I just get T_1 and T_2 in terms of T_- and T_+ and then try to check if I get they follow the SU(2) commutation relation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a pedantic comment but ##SU(2)## is a group, and ##\mathfrak{su}(2)## is an algebra.

Likes dextercioby and DrClaude

1. What is SU(2) algebra?

SU(2) algebra is a mathematical framework used to describe the properties and relationships of operators that act on quantum mechanical systems. It is a type of Lie algebra that is used to study the symmetry properties of physical systems.

2. How do you show that operators follow SU(2) algebra?

To show that operators follow SU(2) algebra, one must demonstrate that they satisfy the defining commutation relations of the algebra. This involves calculating the commutator of two operators and showing that it is equal to a linear combination of the operators themselves.

3. What are the defining commutation relations of SU(2) algebra?

The defining commutation relations of SU(2) algebra are [Jx, Jy] = iħJz, [Jy, Jz] = iħJx, and [Jz, Jx] = iħJy, where Jx, Jy, and Jz are the three components of the angular momentum operator and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

4. Why is SU(2) algebra important in quantum mechanics?

SU(2) algebra is important in quantum mechanics because it is a fundamental tool for understanding the symmetries and properties of physical systems. It is used to describe the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons, and is also applicable to other areas of physics such as nuclear and particle physics.

5. What are some applications of SU(2) algebra in physics?

Some applications of SU(2) algebra in physics include the study of spin systems, the description of angular momentum in quantum mechanics, and the analysis of symmetries in particle physics. It is also used in the development of quantum computing and in the study of quantum entanglement.