Showing that real symmetric matrices are diagonalizable

In summary: So if A is diagonalisable, then the minimal polynomial of A splits into distinct linear factors, and therefore so does the characteristic polynomial, and therefore so does the minimal polynomial of A- \lambda I, and therefore so does the characteristic polynomial of A- \lambda I, and therefore A- \lambda I is diagonalisable.
JD_PM
Summary:: Let ##A \in \Bbb R^{n \times n}## be a symmetric matrix and let ##\lambda \in \Bbb R## be an eigenvalue of ##A##. Prove that the geometric multiplicity ##g(\lambda)## of ##A## equals its algebraic multiplicity ##a(\lambda)##.

Let ##A \in \Bbb R^{n \times n}## be a symmetric matrix and let ##\lambda \in \Bbb R## be an eigenvalue of ##A##. Prove that the geometric multiplicity ##g(\lambda)## of ##A## equals its algebraic multiplicity ##a(\lambda)##.

We know that if ##A## is diagonalizable then ##g(\lambda)=a(\lambda)##. So all we have to show is that ##A## is diagonalizable.

I found a proof by contradiction: Assuming ##A## is not diagonalizable we have

$$(A- \lambda_i I)^2 v=0, \ (A- \lambda_i I) v \neq 0$$

Where ##\lambda_i## is some repeated eigenvalue. Then

$$0=v^{\dagger}(A-\lambda_i I)^2v=v^{\dagger}(A-\lambda_i I)(A-\lambda_i I) \neq 0$$

Which is a contradiction (where ##\dagger## stands for conjugate transpose).

But I do not really understand it; what is meant by 'generalized eigenvalues of order ##2## or higher'?

I asked about this proof a while ago but the answer I got did not really convince me...

We could go over an alternative proof of course, the aim is understand how to show that real symmetric matrices are diagonalizable.

Thank you! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there is a quite elegant analysis argument for that using compactness of a certain group of matrices (and other machinery), but I'll treat it as a linear algebra problem.

Let [itex]E\neq 0[/itex] be a real Euclidean space. It is well known that a transformation [itex]\varphi[/itex] on [itex]E[/itex] is symmetric if and only if [itex]E[/itex] admits an orthonormal basis of eigenvectors of [itex]\varphi[/itex].

Now let [itex]A[/itex] be a symmetric real matrix and fix an orthonormal basis [itex]e[/itex] on [itex]E[/itex] (take any basis, give it the Gram-Schmidt treatment and normalise it, say). The corresponding transformation [itex]\varphi[/itex] is then symmetric. Let [itex]f[/itex] be an orthonormal basis of eigenvectors of [itex]\varphi[/itex].

The matrix of [itex]\varphi[/itex] with respect to [itex]f[/itex], call it [itex]B[/itex], is diagonal.

Let [itex]T[/itex] be the transition matrix from [itex]e[/itex] to [itex]f[/itex]. Then [itex]B=T^{-1}AT[/itex], thus [itex]A[/itex] is similar to a diagonal matrix i.e is diagonalisable. Transition matrix between orthonormed bases is orthogonal, so can replace [itex]T^{-1}=T^t[/itex].

Remark: in the complex case, this is not true. However, Hermitian matrices are diagonalisable.

Last edited:
Likes JD_PM
You have two separate questions, I feel. So I'll briefly address the second one. Yes, diagonalisability is equivalent to [itex]g(\lambda) = a(\lambda)[/itex]. This is because equality of multiplicities is equivalent to the space admitting a basis of eigenvectors. Also, similar matrices have the same characteristic polynomial.

1. What is a real symmetric matrix?

A real symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements on either side of the main diagonal are equal. In other words, the matrix is equal to its own transpose.

2. What does it mean for a matrix to be diagonalizable?

A matrix is diagonalizable if it can be written as a product of three matrices: A = PDP^-1, where P is an invertible matrix and D is a diagonal matrix. Essentially, this means that the matrix can be simplified to a diagonal form.

3. How can you show that a real symmetric matrix is diagonalizable?

To show that a real symmetric matrix is diagonalizable, you can use the spectral theorem. This theorem states that a real symmetric matrix can be diagonalized by an orthogonal matrix, meaning that its eigenvectors are orthogonal to each other. This allows us to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, which are used to construct the diagonal matrix D and the orthogonal matrix P.

4. Why is it important to show that real symmetric matrices are diagonalizable?

Showing that real symmetric matrices are diagonalizable is important because it allows us to simplify the matrix and make it easier to work with. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as solving systems of linear equations or finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.

5. Can all real symmetric matrices be diagonalizable?

Yes, all real symmetric matrices can be diagonalizable. This is a result of the spectral theorem, which states that any real symmetric matrix can be diagonalized by an orthogonal matrix. However, not all matrices are diagonalizable, as it depends on the properties of the matrix and its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.