Shredder Cutting Area Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the cutting area for a plastic shredder machine. The speaker has done research and believes that the cutting area is dependent on the blade thickness and plastic thickness. They reference ASTM D732 and a website for this calculation. The cutting area is defined as the actual area that is sheared and is calculated based on the blade thickness and length of the cut perimeter. The resulting cut piece will be folded in half and have a specific width. The speaker confirms that this calculation is accurate and thanks the other person for their help.
ramadhankd
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to design a plastic shredder machine, but I'm stuck on how to determine the cutting area of my shredder. I've already made some research, and I think that the cutting area depends on the blade thickness and the plastic thickness. As for why the blade thickness is important, that is because the plastic (or scrap) will be cut into the size of the blade thickness. The plastic scrap must also have a dimension more than the blade thickness. If less, then the plastic (or scrap) will be “pushed away” instead of getting cut because It will receive no resistance force.

My reference for this determination of cutting area is based on ASTM D732 - Shear Punch Tool and this website https://www.engineersedge.com/sheet_metal_pierce.htm

Please kindly tell me whether or not this area calculation is accurate.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Cutting mechanism.pdf
    245.3 KB · Views: 385
Engineering news on Phys.org
The cutting area is the actual area that is sheared. For example, this sketch shows a 1/4" blade cutting downward (into the monitor). The cut perimeter (as in the engineersedge equation) is 2" + 1/4" + 2" = 4.25". The thickness is two layers of plastic, which is about (just a wild guess) 0.020" if the plastic is 0.010" thick. The cut area is then 0.020" X 4.25" = 0.085 square inches. The resulting cut piece will be 4" long, folded in half, and 0.25" wide.

P7260011.JPG

Likes ramadhankd
Oh yeah, that should be It. Then the perimeter length (and thus the cutting area) will depend on the knife trajectory and the distance between each adjacent knife. Thanks for helping me clear this up.

Likes jrmichler

1. How is the cutting area of a shredder calculated?

The cutting area of a shredder is typically calculated by multiplying the width of the shredder blades by the length of the blades. This will give you the total area that the blades can cut in one rotation.

2. What factors affect the cutting area of a shredder?

The cutting area of a shredder can be affected by various factors such as the size and sharpness of the blades, the speed of the shredder, and the type and thickness of the material being shredded.

3. Can the cutting area of a shredder be increased?

Yes, the cutting area of a shredder can be increased by using sharper and larger blades, increasing the speed of the shredder, and adjusting the blade angle to optimize cutting efficiency.

4. Why is it important to calculate the cutting area of a shredder?

Calculating the cutting area of a shredder is important because it helps determine the shredder's capacity and efficiency. It also allows for proper maintenance and replacement of blades to ensure optimal performance.

5. Are there any limitations to the cutting area calculation for shredders?

While the cutting area calculation is a useful tool for determining the capacity of a shredder, it does not take into account other factors such as the material's density and the shredder's power and durability. These factors can also affect the shredder's performance and should be considered when choosing a shredder for specific purposes.