How Accurate Are These Sig Fig Calculations and Unit Conversions?

• Thread starter cbrowne
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a request for someone to check the answers for a set of mathematical operations and unit conversions. The solutions provided included appropriate significant figures and scientific notation. However, there may be an error in the calculation for question 1e.
cbrowne
Hey I don't want to loose points for this primary question, could someone please go over my answers. Thanks!

Homework Statement

1. Perform the following operations and write your answers with appropriate
number of significant figures: (a) 589.01−89.020 (b) 1.0×9.00 (c) 180 /pi
(d) 180.0 /pi (e)3.901x10-5+ 1.0x10-7

2. Perform the following unit conversions and express the answer in scientific
notation: (a) 0.510 kg to g (b) 92 mi to km (c) 3 0.50 m to 3 cm (d) 15 μs to ms
(e) 60.0 km/h to m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 589.01-89.020 = 499.99
b) 1.0 x 9.00 = 9.0
c) 180/ Π = 57
d) 180.0/Π = 57.30
e) 3.901 x 10^-5 + 1.0 x 10^-7 = 0.00004

2. a) 0.510kg x 1000g/1kg= 5.1 x 102g

b) 92 mi x 1.609344km/1mi= 1.48059 x 102 km

c) 0.50m3 x 1 000 000cm3/ 1m3 = 5 x 105 cm3

d) 15μs x 1ms/0.001 μs = 1.5 x 10-2ms

e) 60.0km/1hour = 65000m/3600 sec = 1.805556 x 101 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
1e looks reeaall suspicious.

If I multiplied both numbers by 10^7 (for my convenience), I'd see 390.1 + 1.0

I don't have to convert it back to the proper decimal place to see there's a problem with saying 400

As a scientist, it is important to understand the concept of significant figures and proper unit conversions. In order to accurately represent and communicate scientific data, we must use the appropriate number of significant figures. In the first question, the answers provided are correct based on the given numbers and their corresponding significant figures. However, it is important to note that in scientific calculations, we typically carry out the calculations with more significant figures and then round off the final answer to the appropriate number of significant figures.

In the second question, the conversions are also correct. It is important to use the correct conversion factors and units in order to accurately convert between different units. Additionally, expressing the final answer in scientific notation allows for easier comparison and understanding of the magnitude of the quantities.

In conclusion, understanding significant figures and unit conversions is crucial for accurate and precise scientific calculations and communication of data. It is important to pay attention to the given numbers and their corresponding significant figures as well as the appropriate conversion factors and units.

What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures are digits in a number that are known with certainty. They are important because they show the precision of a measurement and help maintain accuracy in calculations.

How do you determine the number of significant figures in a number?

The rules for determining significant figures are: non-zero digits are always significant, zeros between non-zero digits are significant, and zeros at the end of a number after a decimal point are significant. Zeros at the beginning or end of a number without a decimal point are not significant.

What is rounding and when should it be used in calculations?

Rounding is a method of approximating a number to a certain number of significant figures. It should be used in calculations when the answer needs to be reported with the same precision as the least precise measurement used in the calculation.

What is the difference between precision and accuracy?

Precision refers to how closely a series of measurements are to each other, while accuracy refers to how closely a measurement is to the true or accepted value. A measurement can be precise but not accurate, or accurate but not precise.

How do you convert between units using dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a method of converting between units by using conversion factors and canceling out units. First, write the given measurement and unit. Then, multiply by a conversion factor that cancels out the given unit and replaces it with the desired unit. Repeat this process until the desired unit is achieved.

Back