Sign hanging from massless beam attached to hinge supported by string

In summary: Regarding your free body diagram (FBD):You have assigned the variable T to three different forces.You have assigned the variable F to the reaction forces at the pivot, which are normally identified as R.Tx and Ty are understood as forces; therefore, it results confusing to see FTx and FTy in your equations.You don't need to split the weight of the sign in two, for the moment induced by the weight, the application distance of that force is at the center point of the sign, regardless of how it hangs from the bar.Please, try the FBD and associate equations again.Also, it is a good habit to cross out any vector that you resolve into components, e.
hisiks
Homework Statement
A uniform sign of weight W and width 2L hangs from a massless horizontal beam, hinged at the
wall and supported by a cable. (a) Determine the tension in the cable. (b) Determine the
components of the reaction force at the hinge in terms of W, L, d and ϴ (c) Find the minimum
possible friction force between the hinge and the wall that will allow this set-up in terms of W, L,
d and ϴ assuming that the hinge is not attached to the wall mechanically
Relevant Equations
Sum of Torques = 0
Sum of Forces = 0
Trig Equations
F=ma
Torque = Fdcos theta
Attempted creating equations for zeros of torque and components of forces in x and y as seen in picture. Got lost with having only variables and the d & 2L for the length of the beam. Not sure how to do the question with two points of contact between the beam and the sign. Is the center center of mass changed because of that and/or what's the distance I use for that part?

Attachments

• 74A362C4-6D5C-4092-88FD-76002827F4E3.jpeg
    74A362C4-6D5C-4092-88FD-76002827F4E3.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 83
  • EDC8B2E0-1866-4C43-9DD5-E9DFEF3F161D.jpeg
    EDC8B2E0-1866-4C43-9DD5-E9DFEF3F161D.jpeg
    38.5 KB · Views: 79
Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram is too small to be able to read the details. If I expand it it just gets fuzzy. Make the original half a page and don’t try to cram working into the same image.

Per forum rules, working should be typed in, preferably in LaTeX, not in an image. That makes it easier to refer to specific equations when making comments. Very clear writing and numbered equations is just acceptable, but your handwriting does nor qualify. Mine wouldn't either. I really cannot read it well enough to relate the variables to the diagram.

And do try to ensure the images are upright!

When writing moments equations, always state the axis.

haruspex said:
Your diagram is too small to be able to read the details. If I expand it it just gets fuzzy. Make the original half a page and don’t try to cram working into the same image.

Per forum rules, working should be typed in, preferably in LaTeX, not in an image. That makes it easier to refer to specific equations when making comments. Very clear writing and numbered equations is just acceptable, but your handwriting does nor qualify. Mine wouldn't either. I really cannot read it well enough to relate the variables to the diagram.

And do try to ensure the images are upright!

When writing moments equations, always state the axis.
Understandable, that was just my quickly written first attempt, here's a clearer process.

hisiks said:
Understandable, that was just my quickly written first attempt, here's a clearer process.

Attachments

• 49320BFC-14FC-4AB7-AC6E-D456AD1F8E9E.jpeg
    49320BFC-14FC-4AB7-AC6E-D456AD1F8E9E.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 3D665438-1AA5-4FFE-A515-9448C163BB26.jpeg
    3D665438-1AA5-4FFE-A515-9448C163BB26.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 64
Your diagrams are sideways

erobz said:
Your diagrams are sideways
... again

hisiks said:
You have two versions of the torque the sign's weight exerts on the hinge, one with Wd, one with ##W\frac{d+2L}2##.
They're both wrong.

(When I said to number all equations, if you won't type them, I meant all.)

20221127.jpg

20221127b.jpeg

20221127a.jpg

You have 3 things labelled T on the diagram. My red pencil would strike instantly.

Welcome, @hisiks !

Regarding your free body diagram (FBD):
You have assigned the variable T to three different forces.
You have assigned the variable F to the reaction forces at the pivot, which are normally identified as R.
Tx and Ty are understood as forces; therefore, it results confusing to see FTx and FTy in your equations.

You don't need to split the weight of the sign in two, for the moment induced by the weight, the application distance of that force is at the center point of the sign, regardless of how it hangs from the bar.
Please, try the FBD and associate equations again.

Likes hutchphd
Also, it is a good habit to cross out any vector that you resolve into components, e.g. FH, to avoid double-counting or else just draw the two components.

Also your equation (4) is an identity and says T = T, nothing new.

Likes hutchphd and Lnewqban

1. What is a massless beam?

A massless beam is a theoretical construct used in physics to simplify calculations. It is a beam that has no mass and therefore does not experience any gravitational forces. This allows for easier analysis of the forces acting on the beam.

2. How does a hinge support a massless beam?

A hinge is a type of joint that allows for rotation between two objects. In the case of a massless beam, the hinge supports the beam by allowing it to rotate freely around the hinge point without any resistance. This allows for the beam to maintain its position while still being able to move.

3. What is the purpose of the string in this scenario?

The string in this scenario acts as a support for the beam. It helps to distribute the weight of the beam and any additional objects hanging from it, preventing the beam from collapsing under the weight. The string also helps to keep the beam in place and maintain its position.

4. Why is the beam considered to be massless?

The beam is considered to be massless for the sake of simplifying the calculations. In reality, all objects have some mass and therefore experience gravitational forces. However, in this scenario, the mass of the beam is assumed to be negligible compared to the other forces acting on it, making it easier to analyze.

5. What is the significance of the sign hanging from the massless beam?

The sign hanging from the massless beam is just an example of an object that could be attached to the beam. The scenario of a sign hanging from a massless beam attached to a hinge supported by a string is often used in physics problems to illustrate concepts such as torque, equilibrium, and tension. It is a simplified scenario that allows for easier analysis of these concepts.