Significance of the viscous stress tensor

In summary: RicThe Cauchy stress tensor for a rigid (static) body has to be symmetric because of conservation of momentum. Does this apply also to viscous stress... or is there a separate equation for viscous stress?
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi,

when working with NS equations the stress tensor can be written as ##\nabla \tau = - \nabla P + \nabla \tau_{v}##, where ##\tau_{v} ## is
\begin{pmatrix}
\tau_{xx} & \tau_{xy} & \tau_{xz} \\
\tau_{xy} & \tau_{yy} & \tau_{yz} \\
\tau_{zx} & \tau_{zy} & \tau_{zz}
\end{pmatrix}

This question was stuck in my mind since last years, but I used to forget to ask: what is the physical interpretation of ##\tau_{xx}##, ##\tau_{yy}##, ##\tau_{zz}##? I know where they come from "mathematically", but I don't get the difference with pressure... I thought viscous stresses could only be like ##\tau_{ij}## with ##i≠j##.

PS: Out of the blue: In a very turbulent flow is it ok to consider ##\tau_{ij} = 0## with ##i≠j##?

Thanks
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
Hi,

when working with NS equations the stress tensor can be written as ##\nabla \tau = - \nabla P + \nabla \tau_{v}##, where ##\tau_{v} ## is
\begin{pmatrix}
\tau_{xx} & \tau_{xy} & \tau_{xz} \\
\tau_{xy} & \tau_{yy} & \tau_{yz} \\
\tau_{zx} & \tau_{zy} & \tau_{zz}
\end{pmatrix}

This question was stuck in my mind since last years, but I used to forget to ask: what is the physical interpretation of ##\tau_{xx}##, ##\tau_{yy}##, ##\tau_{zz}##? I know where they come from "mathematically", but I don't get the difference with pressure... I thought viscous stresses could only be like ##\tau_{ij}## with ##i≠j##.
Why do you wonder about the difference with pressure? Regarding the i,j thing, why did you think this?
PS: Out of the blue: In a very turbulent flow is it ok to consider ##\tau_{ij} = 0## with ##i≠j##?

Thanks
Ric
In turbulent flow, the time averaged values of the viscous stresses are definitely not equal to zero.

Chestermiller said:
Why do you wonder about the difference with pressure? Regarding the i,j thing, why did you think this?

##\tau_xx## (for example) is a normal vector respect to ##zy## surface. I thought viscous stress can only be tangent vectors (like ##\tau_{xy}##) because of Newton's law ##\tau = -\mu \frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} ##.

Chestermiller said:
In turbulent flow, the time averaged values of the viscous stresses are definitely not equal to zero.
Sorry, I'm so dumb...

I don't know how I came up this...

What I really meant is: "In a turbulent flow is it ok to consider the fluctuations of ##\tau## to be zero? I mean if I average NS equations I get ##\tau = \tau_{v} + \tau_{t}## where ##\tau_{t}## is:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & \bar {v'_xv'_y} & \bar {v'_xv'_z} \\
\bar v'^2_{yx} & \bar {v'^2_y} & \bar {v'_yv'_z} \\
\bar v'^2_{zx} & \bar {v'_zv'_y} & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

Is it ok to do this:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & 0& 0\\
0 & \bar {v'^2_y} &0 \\
0& 0 & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

?

dRic2 said:
##\tau_xx## (for example) is a normal vector respect to ##zy## surface. I thought viscous stress can only be tangent vectors (like ##\tau_{xy}##) because of Newton's law ##\tau = -\mu \frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} ##.
That's only the simplified version for a specific type of flow situation. The 3D version of the law is what is required so that law is independent of the coordinate system used by the observer. You are aware that, even for the state of stress you have indicated, if the coordinate axes were rotated, the components of the stress tensor in the new coordinate system will contain normal stresses, correct?

dRic2 said:
Sorry, I'm so dumb...

What I really meant is: "In a turbulent flow is it ok to consider the fluctuations of ##\tau## to be zero? I mean if I average NS equations I get ##\tau = \tau_{v} + \tau_{t}## where ##\tau_{t}## is:

\begin{pmatrix}
\end{pmatrix}

Is it ok to do this:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & 0& 0\\
0 & \bar {v'^2_y} &0 \\
0& 0 & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

?
Sure. These are called the turbulent stresses.

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm in kind of a hurry now. I'll be back later/tomorrow! :)

Chestermiller said:
You are aware that, even for the state of stress you have indicated, if the coordinate axes were rotated, the components of the stress tensor in the new coordinate system will contain normal stresses, correct?

Do you mean something like this?
204771-39640136e6f7a29a73ce33239b091d02.jpg

I think it is clear. But it is different: here you "create" the normal components by rotating the axis. Consider a chunk of fluid flowing in rectangular pipe (so we won't bother changing coordinates). Let's set the origin of the axis in one of the corner of the pipe (no rotation). What is the meaning of ##\tau_{ii}##?

Ps: I remember the Cauchy stress tensor for a rigid (static) body has to be symmetric because of conservation of momentum. Does this apply also to viscous stress tensor?

Attachments

• stresstensor.jpg
    stresstensor.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 471
Chestermiller said:

Why ##\bar {v'_iv'_j} = 0## is reasonable ?

dRic2 said:
Why ##\bar {v'_iv'_j} = 0## is reasonable ?
It's not, and the average of the product of these fluctuations isn't zero.

dRic2 said:
Do you mean something like this?
204771-39640136e6f7a29a73ce33239b091d02.jpg

I think it is clear. But it is different: here you "create" the normal components by rotating the axis. Consider a chunk of fluid flowing in rectangular pipe (so we won't bother changing coordinates). Let's set the origin of the axis in one of the corner of the pipe (no rotation). What is the meaning of ##\tau_{ii}##?
For this flow, it is zero. If you want to see the full derivation showing why the normal components can be non-zero, see chapters 1 and 2 in Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot
Ps: I remember the Cauchy stress tensor for a rigid (static) body has to be symmetric because of conservation of momentum. Does this apply also to viscous stress tensor?
Yes.

Likes dRic2
Chestermiller said:
For this flow, it is zero. If you want to see the full derivation showing why the normal components can be non-zero, see chapters 1 and 2 in Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot

Things are coming together in my mind, thank you!

Chestermiller said:
It's not, and the average of the product of these fluctuations isn't zero.

I might have misunderstood your previous answer:

Chestermiller said:

I thought it was referred to this:

dRic2 said:
Sorry, I'm so dumb...

\begin{pmatrix}
\end{pmatrix}

Is it ok to do this:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & 0& 0\\
0 & \bar {v'^2_y} &0 \\
0& 0 & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

?

dRic2 said:
I might have misunderstood your previous answer:
I thought it was referred to this:
What I meant was that all the elements of the turbulent stress tensor can be non-zero, including the shear components.

dRic2 said:
Sorry, I'm so dumb...

Is it ok to do this:

\begin{pmatrix}
\bar v'^2_{xx} & 0& 0\\
0 & \bar {v'^2_y} &0 \\
0& 0 & \bar {v'^2_z}
\end{pmatrix}

?

So this is generally false, right?

dRic2 said:
So this is generally false, right?
Yes.

1. What is the viscous stress tensor?

The viscous stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the stress or force exerted by a fluid on a solid surface due to its viscosity. It is a second-order tensor, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is usually represented by a 3x3 matrix.

2. Why is the viscous stress tensor significant?

The viscous stress tensor is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various scenarios, such as flow through pipes or channels, around objects, or in industrial processes. It is also crucial in designing and optimizing engineering systems that involve fluid flow.

3. How is the viscous stress tensor calculated?

The viscous stress tensor is calculated using the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a fluid in terms of its velocity, pressure, and density. The tensor is derived from the velocity gradient, which represents the change in velocity over a given distance in the fluid.

4. What are some real-world applications of the viscous stress tensor?

The viscous stress tensor has numerous applications in engineering and science. It is commonly used in designing and optimizing fluid systems, such as pumps, turbines, and heat exchangers. It is also essential in understanding the flow of blood in the human body and designing medical devices for drug delivery or blood flow monitoring.

5. Can the viscous stress tensor be simplified or approximated?

Yes, in some cases, the viscous stress tensor can be simplified or approximated to make calculations more manageable. For example, in laminar flow, where fluid particles move in parallel layers, the tensor can be reduced to a single scalar value. In turbulent flow, where fluid particles move in a chaotic manner, the tensor can be approximated using statistical methods.