Significant figures and uncertainty

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to express the volume of a 25ml pipet with an uncertainty of +/- 0.24ml to the correct number of significant figures. There is a debate on whether it should be expressed as two significant figures due to the markings on the pipet, four significant figures due to the uncertainty range, or three significant figures when rounding down to the nearest single significant figure. The conversation also brings up the idea of using a percentage to determine the significant figures. However, there is some uncertainty and differing opinions on how to properly handle significant figures.
Miffymycat
Let’s say I have a class A 25ml pipet with an uncertainty of +/- 0.24ml.

If I want to express the volume of the pipet to the correct number of sig figs to say determine the sig figs in a final answer - what is it?

Is it 25 ie two, because that is the marking?

Or 25.00 ie four, because the uncertainty limits the range to 24.76 – 25.24, which are 4 sig fig values?

Or 25.0 ie three, being 0.24 rounded down to the nearest single sig fig?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Miffymycat! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Miffymycat said:
Let’s say I have a class A 25ml pipet with an uncertainty of +/- 0.24ml.

Technically that's 2 significant figures.

(though I'd be tempted to call it 2.5 significant figures, since it obviously could be rounded to the nearest 1/2 ml)

I'd be inclined to call it ±1%, and wait and see what the final answer is …

if it's say 89.4, then make it 89 (2 sig figs) since that's ±1%

if it's say 11.4, then make it 11.4 (3 sig figs) since that's ±1%.

if it's say 33.4, then i don't know … judgment call! :confused:

What do other people think? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
What do other people think? :smile:

SF are faulty by design?

1. What are significant figures and why are they important in scientific measurements?

Significant figures are digits that represent the precision or accuracy of a measurement. They are important because they indicate the level of uncertainty in a measurement and help to maintain consistency and accuracy in scientific calculations.

2. How do you determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The general rule for determining significant figures is to count all non-zero digits and any zeros between non-zero digits. Zeros at the beginning of a number are not significant, while zeros at the end of a number may or may not be significant depending on the context.

3. What is the significance of the last digit in a measurement?

The last digit in a measurement represents the level of uncertainty or estimation in the measurement. It is important to include this digit when reporting a measurement to maintain the accuracy and precision of the measurement.

4. How do you perform calculations with significant figures?

When performing calculations with significant figures, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the least precise measurement used in the calculation. Additionally, intermediate calculations should be carried out to one extra significant figure to avoid rounding errors.

5. How do you handle uncertainty in scientific measurements?

Uncertainty in scientific measurements can be handled by following the rules for significant figures, reporting the measurement with the appropriate number of significant figures and including the uncertainty as part of the reported measurement. Additionally, repeating the measurement multiple times and calculating the average can help reduce uncertainty.