Significant Figures with Kinetic Energy Formula?

The 0.5 is a constant and does not need to be included in the uncertainty calculations. Your logic and equations seem correct, but it would be helpful to have more context and information about the problem to verify the final answer.
ProfessorMadMan

Homework Statement

An object of mass m = 2.3±0.1 kg is moving at a speed of v = 1.25±0.03 m/s. Calculate the kinetic energy (K = 1 /2mv2 ) of the object. What is the uncertainty in K?

I am not exactly sure if I used the error equation correctly when I start using Δ(v2). Could someone verify my logic here?

Homework Equations

K=0.5mv2

Δ(v2)=nx^(n-1)(Δx)

ΔK=(k )(z(Δm/m +(Δv2)/(v2))), k=0.5, z=1.8

The Attempt at a Solution

K=0.5mv2=0.5(2.3kg)(1.25m/s)2=1.8J

Power Error Equation
Δ(v2)=nx^(n-1)(Δx)
=2(1.25)^1(0.03)

Δ(v2)=0.075

Multiplication and Constant Error Equation

ΔK=(k )(z(Δm/m +(Δv2)/(v2)))

K = 0.5 ⋅ 1.8 ⋅((0.1/2.3)+(0.075/1.252))

K = 0.08

Physics news on Phys.org
ProfessorMadMan said:
K = 0.5 ⋅ 1.8 ⋅((0.1/2.3)+(0.075/1.252))
Where did the 0.5 come from?

An easy way to check your answer is to plug in the values that would make K its max: 1.25+0.03, 2.3+0.1.

haruspex said:

An easy way to check your answer is to plug in the values that would make K its max: 1.25+0.03, 2.3+0.1.

Sorry this was meant to be K = 0.5 ⋅ 1.8 ⋅((0.1/2.3)+(0.075/1.252)), is that still correct?

The 0.5 comes from the K=1/2 mv2

I understand that the 0.5 is an exact number, but my thought is that the uncertainty that I am calculating here needs to be scaled ( or with the same ratio) after you put the uncertainty with mass and speed given in the beginning through the KE formula. OR does that not matter?

haruspex said:

I am using the exact constant rule: z = k Δx, whereas k has no uncertainty, or Δk=0. So I use 0.5 from the kinetic energy formula as k.

ProfessorMadMan said:

Homework Statement

An object of mass m = 2.3±0.1 kg is moving at a speed of v = 1.25±0.03 m/s. Calculate the kinetic energy (K = 1 /2mv2 ) of the object. What is the uncertainty in K?

I am not exactly sure if I used the error equation correctly when I start using Δ(v2). Could someone verify my logic here?

Homework Equations

K=0.5mv2

Δ(v2)=nx^(n-1)(Δx)

ΔK=(k )(z(Δm/m +(Δv2)/(v2))), k=0.5, z=1.8
In general, Δ(xn) = nxn−1(Δx) .

Specifically, Δ(v2) = 2v1(Δv) .

ProfessorMadMan said:
The 0.5 comes from the K=1/2 mv2
You already included that when calculating the 1.8J.

Related to Significant Figures with Kinetic Energy Formula?

1. What are significant figures in the context of kinetic energy formula?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, are the number of digits that are considered reliable in a measurement. They indicate the precision of a measurement and are important in scientific calculations, including kinetic energy formula.

2. How do significant figures affect the accuracy of the kinetic energy formula?

The number of significant figures used in a calculation can affect the accuracy of the result. This is because significant figures represent the level of certainty in a measurement, and using too few or too many can lead to inaccuracies in the final result.

3. What is the rule for determining the number of significant figures in the kinetic energy formula?

The general rule for determining the number of significant figures in a calculation is to look at the measurement with the fewest significant figures. The result should then be rounded to the same number of significant figures as the original measurement.

4. Can significant figures be used when converting units in the kinetic energy formula?

Yes, significant figures should be considered when converting units in the kinetic energy formula. The result should be rounded to the same number of significant figures as the original measurement, regardless of the number of significant figures in the conversion factor.

5. How do significant figures affect the final units in the kinetic energy formula?

The final units in the kinetic energy formula should reflect the number of significant figures in the original measurements. For example, if the mass is measured to three significant figures, the final answer for kinetic energy should also be rounded to three significant figures and have the appropriate units (such as Joules or foot-pounds).