Silly theoretical area question

In summary, the question is asking about the surface area of an infinitely thin cone and the formula for the surface areas of the inside and outside of a cone with thickness. The conversation discusses the concept of an infinitely thin cone and the difficulty in calculating the surface area of a cone with thickness. The geometric mean length is mentioned as a factor in calculating the thickness of the cone, and the formula for the surface area of a cone with thickness is given as A=πr(r+(h^2+r^2)^0.5). There is also a mention of a cool calculator that can be used to calculate the surface area of a cone. However, the conversation concludes by acknowledging the complexity of accurately calculating the surface area of a cone with thickness
tim9000
Just humour me, if you had an infinitely thin cone, would the surface area inside the cone be the same surface area on the outside of the cone? It must be right?
Is there a formula for the surface areas of the inside and outside of a cone WITH thickness?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You would have to define "infinitely thin cone". If you are talking about a mathematical cone, rather than a real conical object, then there is NO thickness. There are no "inside" and "outside" surfaces to talk about, just the one surface. I don't think there is a regularly given formula for a "cone with thickness" but it is not too difficult to come up with one. The thickness, I presume, is measured perpendicular to the two, "inside" and "outside", surfaces. That makes the radii and heights of the two cones a little tricky to calculate. Letting [itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]h_1[/itex] be the radius and height of the "inside" surface and [itex]r_2[/itex] and [itex]h_2[/itex] be the radius and height of the "outside" surface, looking from the side we see two right triangles, one with legs of length [itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]h_1[/itex], the other with legs of length [itex]r_2[/itex] and [itex]h_2[/itex]. Since the altitude of any right triangle is the "geometric mean" of the lengths of the legs, the altitudes of the two right triangles are given by [itex]a_1= \sqrt{r_1h_1}[/itex] and [itex]a_2= \sqrt{r_2h_2}[/itex] and the "thickness" of the cone is the difference [itex]d= \sqrt{r_1h_1}- \sqrt{r_2h_2}[/itex].
So if we are given the radius and height, say, of the inner cone and thickness, d, we can calculate the radius and height of the outer cone and the find the surface area of the two cones. But it is NOT an easy calculation!

Likes JonnyG
I googled "how do you calculate the surface of a cone" and a cool calculator popped up. Outside radius - thickness = inside radius.

HallsofIvy said:
You would have to define "infinitely thin cone". If you are talking about a mathematical cone, rather than a real conical object, then there is NO thickness. There are no "inside" and "outside" surfaces to talk about, just the one surface. I don't think there is a regularly given formula for a "cone with thickness" but it is not too difficult to come up with one. The thickness, I presume, is measured perpendicular to the two, "inside" and "outside", surfaces. That makes the radii and heights of the two cones a little tricky to calculate. Letting [itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]h_1[/itex] be the radius and height of the "inside" surface and [itex]r_2[/itex] and [itex]h_2[/itex] be the radius and height of the "outside" surface, looking from the side we see two right triangles, one with legs of length [itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]h_1[/itex], the other with legs of length [itex]r_2[/itex] and [itex]h_2[/itex]. Since the altitude of any right triangle is the "geometric mean" of the lengths of the legs, the altitudes of the two right triangles are given by [itex]a_1= \sqrt{r_1h_1}[/itex] and [itex]a_2= \sqrt{r_2h_2}[/itex] and the "thickness" of the cone is the difference [itex]d= \sqrt{r_1h_1}- \sqrt{r_2h_2}[/itex].
So if we are given the radius and height, say, of the inner cone and thickness, d, we can calculate the radius and height of the outer cone and the find the surface area of the two cones. But it is NOT an easy calculation!
That is an interesting reply, but what does the geometric mean length have to do with the area?

I see that the area is A=πr(r+(h^2+r^2)^0.5)
why is the area not equal to 2*π*(r/2)*h ?
assuming r/2 is the mean radius of the cone.

jerromyjon said:
I googled "how do you calculate the surface of a cone" and a cool calculator popped up. Outside radius - thickness = inside radius.
That's not true and why I said "it is NOT an easy calculation". The thickness of the cone is measured perpendicular to the "inside" and "outside" surfaces. That is NOT the difference of the two base radii because the two side are not perpendicular to the base.

HallsofIvy said:
That's not true and why I said "it is NOT an easy calculation". The thickness of the cone is measured perpendicular to the "inside" and "outside" surfaces. That is NOT the difference of the two base radii because the two side are not perpendicular to the base.
Why isn't it the difference between radii, wouldn't the only difference be a sort of triangular circle at the base? (like revolving a triangle 360degrees)

HallsofIvy said:
That's not true and why I said "it is NOT an easy calculation".
I'm sorry I didn't even see your post before I posted mine and yes I know it is complicated to get specific. I was simply "humoring" the question with the intention of isolating the most significant portion of the cone.
tim9000 said:
Why isn't it the difference between radii
Seems like I could say the same thing about a simple circle drawn with an ultrafine pen and the "outside" edge circumference will always be larger than the "inside" edge. Even if the circle was an atom thick.

jerromyjon said:
Seems like I could say the same thing about a simple circle drawn with an ultrafine pen and the "outside" edge circumference will always be larger than the "inside" edge. Even if the circle was an atom thick.
Yeah but isn't that covered by what I said, on that 2D surface the width of the circle is the atom thickness.

What I was saying is that the volume of the thickness of the cone is a triangle revolved 360deg, at the base, from the bottom of the internal hypotenuse up to the altitude of the exterior surface. Then the rest is the difference between radii?

1. What is a "silly theoretical area"?

A "silly theoretical area" is a term used to describe an area of study or research that is not based on concrete evidence or practical application. It often involves imaginative or far-fetched ideas that may not have real-world implications.

2. Why do scientists study "silly theoretical areas"?

Scientists may study "silly theoretical areas" for a variety of reasons, such as exploring new ideas and pushing the boundaries of current knowledge, or simply for the fun and curiosity of it. These areas can also serve as a starting point for more practical research and may lead to unexpected discoveries.

3. Is studying "silly theoretical areas" a waste of time and resources?

While it may seem unproductive to some, studying "silly theoretical areas" can actually have benefits. It encourages creativity and out-of-the-box thinking, and can also lead to breakthroughs in other fields. Additionally, not all research needs to have immediate practical applications – sometimes the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake is valuable.

4. How do scientists determine the validity of theories in "silly theoretical areas"?

Scientific theories in "silly theoretical areas" are typically evaluated based on their internal consistency, coherence with existing knowledge, and testability. While they may not have practical applications, they should still follow the principles of the scientific method and be supported by evidence.

5. Can studying "silly theoretical areas" have any real-world impact?

Yes, studying "silly theoretical areas" can potentially have real-world impact in a variety of ways. As mentioned before, it can lead to unexpected discoveries and advancements in other fields. It can also inspire new technologies or solutions to problems that were previously thought to be impossible. Additionally, the process of exploring these areas can have personal and societal benefits, such as promoting critical thinking and imagination.