Silver Nitrate reacting with K2C2O4 Balanced reaction HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment involving a reaction between silver nitrate and potassium oxalate, and the need to write a balanced equation for the reaction. The author has attempted to write the equation but is unsure if it is correct, and is looking for help and clarification on the matter. They also mention the positive valence states of Ag and K in the salts.
quaxon

Homework Statement

In lab we did a reaction where we diluted silver nitrate with K2C2O4 and then boiled it for ten minutes until solid formed, then we filtered out the solid.

I have to write a balanced equation for this reaction and am having a real hard time

Homework Equations

AgNO3 (aq) + K2C2O4 (aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

All i have so far is:

AgNO3 (aq) + K2C2O4 (aq)---> AgK2 (s) + NO3 (g) + CO2 (g)

I have no idea if that is even correct and have been looking all over for any help. I can figure out the stoichiometric coefficients myself, but just want to make sure i have the equation correct first. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
K2C2O4 is potassium oxalate, salt of oxalic acid. Check oxalic acid properties.

--
methods

quaxon said:

Homework Statement

In lab we did a reaction where we diluted silver nitrate with K2C2O4 and then boiled it for ten minutes until solid formed, then we filtered out the solid.

I have to write a balanced equation for this reaction and am having a real hard time

Homework Equations

AgNO3 (aq) + K2C2O4 (aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

All i have so far is:

AgNO3 (aq) + K2C2O4 (aq)---> AgK2 (s) + NO3 (g) + CO2 (g)

I have no idea if that is even correct and have been looking all over for any help. I can figure out the stoichiometric coefficients myself, but just want to make sure i have the equation correct first. Thanks.

Also for your understanding, you should know that the Ag and K are both in positive valence
states in the salts and therefor are not going to form any type of bond together

1. What is the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between silver nitrate and potassium oxalate?

The balanced chemical equation for the reaction between silver nitrate (AgNO3) and potassium oxalate (K2C2O4) is:
2AgNO3 + K2C2O4 → 2AgC2O4 + 2KNO3

2. What type of reaction is this?

This is a double replacement reaction, also known as a precipitation reaction. The reactants exchange ions to form two new compounds.

3. How do you determine the products of the reaction?

To determine the products of a double replacement reaction, you need to switch the cations (positive ions) and anions (negative ions) between the reactants. In this case, silver (Ag) will pair with oxalate (C2O4) to form silver oxalate (AgC2O4). Similarly, potassium (K) will pair with nitrate (NO3) to form potassium nitrate (KNO3).

4. What is the purpose of balancing a chemical equation?

Balancing a chemical equation ensures that the number of each type of atom is equal on both sides of the equation. This is necessary because atoms cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction, so the number of each type of atom must remain the same.

5. What are the physical properties of the products of this reaction?

The products of this reaction, silver oxalate and potassium nitrate, are both white crystalline solids. Silver oxalate is slightly soluble in water while potassium nitrate is highly soluble. Both compounds are non-toxic and have various industrial and laboratory applications.