Silver RF magnetron sputtering targets

In summary, the person is seeking help with an issue they noticed while venting their system to clean it out. They found a white layer on their silver target and are unsure of what it is or how it happened. Suggestions were given to investigate the composition of the material and the possibility of surface roughness. The person was able to remove the white layer using a Dremel tool. They also mentioned that their recent depositions have been slightly off, but they believe it is due to their thickness monitor needing a new crystal.
spearme
Hi,
I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I've vented my system to clean her out this week and as I was checking my targets I noticed that the whole sputtering surface of my silver target was white. I've been able to clean the white layer off but have no idea what it is or how it happened! Do old silver targets just turn white after long use or do I have some contamination in my system!
Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
One possibility is simply that the surface of the target is rough, and reflecting light in a diffuse manner. Otherwise, perhaps you had a thin oxide layer on your target? You could use XPS/EDX to investigate the composition of your last grown material, and see if there is any other contaminant there?
How did you manage to remove the white layer?

Thanks for the advice!
My depositions of late have been slightly off from what I expected but I think that it has been down to my thickness monitor needing a new crystal rather than the silver as EDX tells me they're pure silver films.I don't think its an oxide layer,as I'm under the impression that silver oxide is black. Surface roughness isn't a bad idea at all! I'll have a look into that and see what comes up. To clean the target surface I used a Dremel tool with to polish the surface back to silver.
Thanks a lot!

1. What is a Silver RF magnetron sputtering target?

A Silver RF magnetron sputtering target is a piece of material that is used in a process called sputtering, which is used in the manufacturing of electronic devices. The target is made of silver and is used to deposit a thin layer of silver onto a substrate using a technique called magnetron sputtering.

2. What is the purpose of using a Silver RF magnetron sputtering target?

The purpose of using a Silver RF magnetron sputtering target is to deposit a thin layer of silver onto a substrate in a controlled and precise manner. This is important in the manufacturing of electronic devices, as the silver layer can be used for electrical conductivity or as a reflective coating.

3. How does a Silver RF magnetron sputtering target work?

A Silver RF magnetron sputtering target works by using a high-frequency radio frequency (RF) power source to create a plasma in a chamber filled with a gas, such as argon. The plasma causes the silver atoms from the target to be ejected and deposited onto the substrate, creating a thin film of silver.

4. What are the benefits of using a Silver RF magnetron sputtering target?

There are several benefits of using a Silver RF magnetron sputtering target. First, it allows for precise control over the deposition of silver, resulting in high-quality thin films. Additionally, the target can be used multiple times, making it a cost-effective option for large-scale production. The resulting silver films also have excellent adhesion and conductivity properties.

5. What are some common applications of Silver RF magnetron sputtering targets?

Silver RF magnetron sputtering targets have a wide range of applications in the manufacturing of electronic devices. They are commonly used to create conductive layers in semiconductors, touchscreens, and solar cells. They are also used to create reflective coatings on mirrors, glass, and other surfaces. Additionally, silver sputtering targets can be used in research and development for creating new materials and studying thin film deposition processes.