Simple calc. of energy levels in quantum harmonic oscillator

In summary, the derivation of energy levels in a quantum harmonic oscillator using the creation and annihilation operators is a much simpler and shorter method compared to using Hermite polynomials and eigenvalues. This can be seen in the comparison with the infinite quantum box, where the result is much simpler. The use of creation and annihilation operators eliminates the need for complicated equations and allows for a more intuitive understanding of the results. Additionally, the use of these operators can be found in various resources, such as Griffiths quantum mechanics.
exponent137
Derivation of energy levels in a quantum harmonic oscillator, ##E=(n+1/2) \hbar\omega##, is long, but the result is very short. At least in comparision with infinite quantum box, this result is simple. I suspect that it can be derived avoiding Hermite polynomials, eigenvalues, etc. I understand them, but I think that short results are many times a consequence of short derivations.

I found something, what can avoid this:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/nuclear-...s-fall-2012/lecture-notes/MIT22_51F12_Ch9.pdf
It seems that in pages 80 and 81 in sec. 9.1.2 is something, what maybe avoid this.

For beginning, I do not understand, why
##N(a|n>)=(n-1)(a|n>)## gives that
##a|n=c_n|n-1>##
Eigenvalue becomes eigenfunction.

Probably this is an easy question, but I will help for further derivation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're intuition is correct, there is certainly an easier way to determine the energy eigenvalues. The most common method is using the creation and annihilation operators (a and it's hermetian conjugate). If you want a good understanding of this method I would check out Griffiths quantum mechanics. He goes over both methods in chapter 2 I believe.

Likes exponent137
exponent137 said:
Eigenvalue becomes eigenfunction
is not correct. All it says is that ##a|n>## is an eigenvector of ##N##. Since its eigenvalue has been shown to be (n-1) it must be a multiple of ##|n-1>##.

Likes exponent137
BvU said:
All it says is that ##a|n>## is an eigenvector of ##N##. Since its eigenvalue has been shown to be (n-1) it must be a multiple of ##|n-1>##.
Still ever I do not understand, why it follows that it must be a multiple of ##|n-1>##? Is it possible to explain more clearly?

If some given ket ##|\alpha\rangle## satisfies ##N|\alpha\rangle=(n-1)|\alpha\rangle## we know that that ket is an eigenket of ##N## with eigenvalue ##n-1##. The ket ##a|n\rangle## satisfies that equation, so we know that ##a|n\rangle## is an eigenket of ##N## with eigenvalue ##n-1##

We also know that any eigenket of ##N## with eigenvalue ##n-1## can be written in the form ##c_n|n-1\rangle## with ##c_n## some constant. (You can substitute this into the eigenvalue equation to see that it works).

Therefore we know that ##a|n\rangle## can be written as ##c_n|n-1\rangle##.

Likes exponent137
composyte said:
You're intuition is correct, there is certainly an easier way to determine the energy eigenvalues. The most common method is using the creation and annihilation operators (a and it's hermetian conjugate). If you want a good understanding of this method I would check out Griffiths quantum mechanics. He goes over both methods in chapter 2 I believe.
This is, what I wished. Simple and short, without Hermite Polynomials.

Likes composyte
'Do' the Hermite polynomials at least once is my advice. Not all that complicated and you'll benefit a lot in later stages of your curriculum.

Likes exponent137
BvU said:
'Do' the Hermite polynomials at least once is my advice. Not all that complicated and you'll benefit a lot in later stages of your curriculum.

Yes I calculated them and studied many aspects of them, but they are not an enough short answer, why relation ##E=\hbar\omega (n+1/2)## exists. This really need derivation in Griffiths. This derivation should be in and book with quantum oscillator.

Everything in QM 1 (supposed you don't introduce spin) can be derived from the Heisenberg algebra of observables. For the harmonic oscillator you introduce creation and annihilation operators which fulfill the commutation relations
$$[\hat{a},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]=1.$$
The Hamiltonian reads
$$\hat{H}=\hbar \omega \left (\frac{1}{2} + \hat{N} \right), \quad \hat{N}=\hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a}.$$
Obviously ##\hat{N}## is a positive semidefinite operator, because for any ##|\psi \rangle##
$$\langle \psi |\hat{N} \psi \rangle=\langle \psi|\hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a} \psi \rangle = \langle \hat{a} \psi|\hat{a} \psi \rangle \geq 0,$$
because the scalar product is semidefinite.

Now suppose ##|n \rangle## is an eigenvector of ##\hat{N}## with eigenvalue ##n \in \mathbb{R}##. Note that ##\hat{N}## is self-adjoint and thus can have only real eigenvalues. Now we have
$$[\hat{N},\hat{a}]=[\hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a},\hat{a}]=[\hat{a}^{\dagger},\hat{a}]\hat{a}=-\hat{a}.$$
This implies
$$\hat{N} \hat{a} |n \rangle = ([\hat{N},\hat{a}]+\hat{a} \hat{N}) |n \rangle = (\hat{a} \hat{N}-\hat{a}) |n \rangle = (n-1) \hat{a} |n \rangle,$$
i.e., ##\hat{a} |n \rangle## is either an eigenvector of ##\hat{N}## with eigenvalue ##n-1## or 0.

This implies that applying ##\hat{a}^k## (##k \in \mathbb{N}##) to ##|n \rangle## you either get an eigenvector to the eigenvalue ##n-k## or ##0##. Since ##\hat{N}## is positive semidefinite, all eigenvalues are ##n \geq 0##. This implies that there must be a minimal eigenvalue ##n_{\text{min}}## such that ##\hat{N} |n_{\text{min}} \rangle=0##, but this implies that ##n_{\text{min}}=0##, because the former equation tells you that ##|n_{\text{min}} \rangle## is and eigenvector of ##\hat{N}## with eigenvalue 0.

Now you have
$$[\hat{N},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]=[\hat{a}^{\dagger} \hat{a},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]=\hat{a}^{\dagger} [\hat{a},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]=\hat{a}^{\dagger},$$
and thus you find
$$\hat{N} \hat{a}^{\dagger} |n \rangle = ([\hat{N},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]+\hat{a}^{\dagger})|n \rangle=(n+1) \hat{a}^{\dagger}|n \rangle,$$
i.e., ##\hat{a}^{\dagger}## is an eigenvector of ##\hat{N}## with eigenvalue ##(n+1)##.

Now you can build all eigenvectors from ##|0 \rangle## by repeated application of ##\hat{a}^{\dagger}##. It's easy to show with the commutation relations that the properly normalized eigenvectors of ##\hat{N}## are given by
$$|n \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}} (\hat{a}^{\dagger})^n |0 \rangle.$$
The eigenvalues of ##\hat{N}## are thus ##n \in \{0,1,2,3,\ldots \}=\mathbb{N}_0##, and thus the energy eigenvalues
$$E_n=\hbar \omega \left (\frac{1}{2} +n \right), \quad n \in \mathbb{N}_0.$$

Likes Mentz114, exponent137 and BvU

Related to Simple calc. of energy levels in quantum harmonic oscillator

1. What is the quantum harmonic oscillator?

The quantum harmonic oscillator is a physical system that follows the principles of quantum mechanics and behaves like a classical harmonic oscillator. It consists of a particle confined in a potential well and exhibits quantized energy levels.

2. How is energy calculated in a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The energy levels in a quantum harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the formula En = (n + 1/2)hw, where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, and w is the angular frequency of oscillation.

3. What is the significance of the quantum number in a harmonic oscillator?

The quantum number, n, determines the energy level of the particle in the oscillator. As n increases, the energy levels also increase and become more closely spaced. It also determines the number of nodes in the wavefunction of the particle.

4. How does the energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator change with the change in frequency?

The energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to the frequency of oscillation. As the frequency increases, the energy levels also increase proportionally.

5. Can the energy levels of a quantum harmonic oscillator be visualized?

Yes, the energy levels of a quantum harmonic oscillator can be visualized using a graph of energy versus quantum number. Each energy level is represented by a horizontal line, with the spacing between the lines becoming smaller as n increases.