Simple category theory isomorphism

In summary: Also, by the definition of product, there is a map \mathcal{C}^{op} : Obj(\mathcal{C}) \times Obj(\mathcal{C}^{op}) defined which is also unique. So, by the uniqueness of the two maps, we have a bijection between the two products.
farleyknight
Hey all,

Okay, let me give this a wack. I want to show that [itex]A \times 1[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]A[/itex]. I'm aware that this is trivial, even for a category theory style. However, sticking to the defs and conventions is tricky if you aren't aware of the subtleties, which is why I'm posting this. So here goes:

Consider objects [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]A \times 1[/itex]. From the object [itex]A \times 1[/itex] we have the arrows [itex]\pi_1 : A \times 1 \to 1[/itex] and [itex]\pi_A : A \times 1 \to A[/itex]. Now we will also consider [itex]A[/itex] as a product in the following way: let [itex]\rho_1 : A \to 1[/itex] be the projection from A to 1, since this will always exists. Also, let [itex]\rho_{A \times 1} : A \to A \times 1[/itex] be the "projection" (really just a 'Cartesian inclusion'?) from A to [itex]A \times 1[/itex]

To the expert: this last step I'm unsure about. It is obvious what it is from a set theory POV but from the category perspective it's not clear how the arrow might arise naturally (or legally).

The rest of the proof is pretty straight forward: Since we have two products [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]A \times 1[/itex] we can compose [itex]\rho_{A \times 1} \circ \pi_A[/itex], which is a round trip on [itex]A \times 1[/itex], so it must be the identity. Similarly for [itex]\pi_A \circ \rho_{A \times 1}[/itex] must be the identity on A. And since these maps are unique and in opposite directions, they must be inverses, so we have a bijection between the two.

Thanks,
- Farley

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to explain your hypotheses. What does x mean? Direct product - well that means you're not talking about a generic category? And what is 1? A category does not have an object that one calls '1' in general. Are you assuming an abelian category? Serre category? Grothendieck cateory?

Sorry about that.. I shouldn't have tried to post late at night.

Anyways, I'm just working with a vanilla category. However, as far as I've read, products are assumed, when they exist. And '1' is just a terminal object. So, instead, I would proceed:

Let [itex]\mathcal{C}[/itex] be a category with [itex]1 \in Obj(\mathcal{C})[/itex] a terminal object and both [itex]A \times 1, A \in Obj(\mathcal({C}))[/itex] as products in this category. (Can you do that?)

BTW this is proved on this guy's blog: http://unapologetic.wordpress.com/2007/06/27/categorification/ but he doesn't quite explain how f is both a projection and the unique map required by the product.. I thought I'd try a slightly different proof, hoping I didn't make a mistake.

By the definition of direct product, there is a map A -> Ax1 as defined and it is unique (and it is not cartesian inclusion since there is no reason to suppose A and 1 are sets).

Related to Simple category theory isomorphism

What is Simple Category Theory Isomorphism?

Simple category theory isomorphism is a concept in mathematics that deals with the relationships between different categories. It is a way of comparing and contrasting different mathematical structures by looking at their underlying structure and properties.

What is an isomorphism?

In simple terms, an isomorphism is a relationship between two mathematical structures that preserves their structure and properties. It is often referred to as a "structure-preserving" map or function.

What is the importance of isomorphism in category theory?

Isomorphism is an important concept in category theory because it allows us to compare and relate different mathematical structures, even if they may seem very different on the surface. It helps us to identify commonalities and connections between seemingly unrelated structures, which can lead to new insights and discoveries.

How do you determine if two categories are isomorphic?

To determine if two categories are isomorphic, we need to find a pair of "inverse" functions or maps between the two categories that preserve the structure and properties of each. In other words, we need to show that the categories can be transformed into each other without losing any important information.

What are some real-world applications of isomorphism in category theory?

Isomorphism has many practical applications in various fields of mathematics, computer science, and other sciences. For example, it is used in cryptography to create secure codes that are difficult to decode, it is used in graph theory to study networks and connections, and it is used in physics to study symmetries and transformations.