Simple coefficient of performance question

In summary, the companies offer cold rooms with higher coefficients of performance than the Carnot COP. I would ask the companies how they define the COP.
Joon

Homework Statement

Your company needs to install a cold room which will maintain a temperature of -15 degrees operating in a room where the temperature is 20 degrees. A new member of staff has considered the specifications of two manufacturers and asked you to check their figures. Explain what your decision would be.

Company A : coefficient of performance 8.5
Company B: coefficient of performance 9.7

Homework Equations

CoP = desired output / required output

The Attempt at a Solution

Does higher CoP simply mean that the efficiency of the cold room is higher?
I tried to use the temperature values given:
T(cold) / (T(hot)-T(cold)) = 7.37

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, higher COP means higher efficiency (and therefore less costs). However you calculated the COP based on the Carnot Cycle (which should perform at theoretically minimal cost):

$$COP = \frac{Q_0}{W} = \frac{Q_0}{Q_A-Q_0}=\frac{T_0\Delta S_0}{T_A\Delta S_A-T_0\Delta S_0}$$

Since in the Carnot process ##\Delta S_A =\Delta S_0## you obtain your formula

$$\frac{T_0}{T_A-T_0}=7.37$$

Since the companies offer cold rooms with higher COPs, maybe this is kind of a "trick question"...

The Carnot cycle based COP means the most efficient, right?
Since the companies offer cold rooms with higher COPs than Carnot COP, should I tell my staff not to work with these companies? (as it doesn't make sense or doesn't fit my company's demand)

General answer: higher COPs are better
Specific answer: something seems to be wrong with the COPs "offered" by the companies

Likes Joon
I'd ask the companies how they define the COP.

Here in the UK we can buy gas heaters for houses that are 103% efficient because of the strange/hostoric way that 100% was defined.

CWatters said:
I'd ask the companies how they define the COP.

Here in the UK we can buy gas heaters for houses that are 103% efficient because of the strange/hostoric way that 100% was defined.

There is also the possibility that water or rooms are heated with the discharged heat to increase the benefit (and subsequently the COP) ...

stockzahn said:
There is also the possibility that water or rooms are heated with the discharged heat to increase the benefit (and subsequently the COP) ...

I believe its to do with the way the input power is measured. The efficiency is output power / input power. The output power into the circulating water can be measured easily but the input power depends on the energy density of the fuel and how that's measured. When they originally measured the calorific value of the fuel they ignored the latent heat of steam lost up the exhaust. These days boilers are condensing and recover that making some appear more than 100% efficient.

1. What is the simple coefficient of performance?

The simple coefficient of performance (COP) is a measure of the efficiency of a refrigeration or heat pump system. It is defined as the ratio of the desired output (cooling or heating) to the required input (energy or work). A higher COP indicates a more efficient system.

2. How is the simple coefficient of performance calculated?

The simple COP is calculated by dividing the heat transferred or removed from the system by the work or energy input required to achieve that heat transfer. The COP can be expressed as a ratio or as a percentage.

3. What factors affect the simple coefficient of performance?

The COP of a refrigeration or heat pump system is affected by several factors, including the type of refrigerant used, the design and efficiency of the system, and the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs. In general, a higher temperature difference results in a lower COP.

4. How can the simple coefficient of performance be improved?

There are several ways to improve the COP of a refrigeration or heat pump system. This can include using more efficient components, such as compressors and heat exchangers, choosing a refrigerant with a higher COP, and optimizing the system design to minimize temperature differences.

5. What is a good simple coefficient of performance?

The ideal COP for a refrigeration or heat pump system would be infinite, where all of the input energy is converted into useful heating or cooling. However, in practice, a good COP is typically considered to be above 3. Higher COP values indicate a more efficient system, but the specific COP will depend on the specific application and system design.