Simple Concentration Stoic Problem?

In summary, the question is asking for the mass of aluminum nitrate needed to make a solution with a total nitrate concentration of 0.866 M. The correct answer is 13.8 g, but the individual keeps getting a different number. After calculating the number of moles needed, it is important to consider the mole-mole ratio of the molecule, which in this case is 3:1 for (NO3)^- and (NO3)3 respectively. This results in the correct answer of 13.8 g.
Lori

Homework Statement

What mass of aluminum nitrate should be dissolved in 225 ml of water to make a solute with a total nitrate concentration of 0.866 M ?

Homework Equations

M = n/L

The Attempt at a Solution

So, i keep getting the wrong answer. THe answer is suppose to be 13.8 g but i get a different number
:

.226 L * (0.866 mols/L) = 0.19485 mols needed

Nitrate molar mass is just 16*3 + 14 + 26.98= 88.98 g/mol

0.19485 * 62 = 17.33 grams of Aluminum nitrate

Physics news on Phys.org
The chemical formula for aluminum nitrate is ## Al (NO_3)_3 ##. I think that might solve your problem.

Charles Link said:
The chemical formula for aluminum nitrate is ## Al (NO_3)_3 ##. I think that might solve your problem.

I get that the molar mass for (NO3)3 is 186 but i still get 40 g of Al(NO3)3

Lori said:
I get that the molar mass for (NO3)3 is 186 but i still get 40 g of Al(NO3)3
The molar mass of ## Al (NO_3)_3 ## is 213. Meanwhile, how many moles do you need? With ## (NO3)_3 ## you don't need .195 moles.

isnt the nitrate concentration referring to just nitrate?

Lori said:
isnt the nitrate concentration referring to just nitrate?
But for every mole of ## Al(NO_3)_3 ## you get 3 moles of ## (NO_3)^- ## in the solution. You do need .195 moles of ## (NO_3)^- ##. That part you got correct.

Charles Link said:
The molar mass of ## Al (NO_3)_3 ## is 213. Meanwhile, how many moles do you need? With ## (NO3)_3 ## you don't need .195 moles.
Oh my goodness! I keep forgetting you can just get mole-mole ratio from the molecule itself... thanks!
I spent like so long on this problem ._.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is Simple Concentration Stoic Problem?

Simple Concentration Stoic Problem is a common problem in stoichiometry, which is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. In this problem, the goal is to determine the concentration of a solution using given information about the amount of solute and solvent.

2. How do you solve Simple Concentration Stoic Problem?

To solve Simple Concentration Stoic Problem, you need to use the formula C = n/V, where C is the concentration in units of moles per liter (M), n is the number of moles of solute, and V is the volume of the solution in liters. You also need to know the molar mass of the solute and the total volume of the solution. By plugging in the given values and solving for C, you can determine the concentration of the solution.

3. What is the difference between Simple Concentration Stoic Problem and other stoichiometry problems?

The main difference between Simple Concentration Stoic Problem and other stoichiometry problems is the focus on determining the concentration of a solution rather than the amount of product produced or reactant consumed. Simple Concentration Stoic Problem also involves using different units, such as moles per liter, compared to other stoichiometry problems that often use grams or moles.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving Simple Concentration Stoic Problem?

One common mistake when solving Simple Concentration Stoic Problem is not converting all units to the correct form before plugging them into the formula. It is also important to make sure that the units are consistent throughout the problem. Another mistake is not paying attention to significant figures, which can lead to an incorrect answer.

5. Can Simple Concentration Stoic Problem be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, Simple Concentration Stoic Problem is commonly used in real-world situations, such as in pharmaceuticals, environmental testing, and food and beverage industries. It is also used in everyday life, such as when determining the concentration of cleaning solutions or when making homemade solutions for various purposes.