Simple explanation of three body problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the three-body problem in classical mechanics and the difficulty in predicting its outcome. The person wants to write about the differences between theory and reality, but is unsure if their statement about the three-body problem is correct. They have read the Wikipedia page, but do not understand it and do not want to make an incorrect statement. It is clarified that classical mechanics can predict the outcome of a three-body problem, but there is no known closed-form solution and numerical methods must be used.
Obiodin
Hiya, I was wondering if one of you clever people here could just affirm something for me. The three body problem : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-body_problem
In classical mechanics.
Some background, I wanted to write something in a blog about theory and reality and the differences, namely the 20th century preconceptions we have about things. Suffice to say I wanted to say that in classical mechanics that you can’t predict what the outcome is when 3 or more bodies are present.
Is that a correct statement?
I did try reading the Wikipedia page but I didn’t really understand it in plain English!
It seems to say there’s no general analytical solution for it but goes on to some other solution which I not sure amounts to a solution!
So I didn’t want to say something that’s not totally true.
Anyway thanks very much for your time.
Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Classical mechanics predicts the outcome of a three-body problem just fine. It's just that there is no known general closed-form solution; that is, we can't write down three equations, each with the position of one of the bodies on the left-hand side and some function of time on the right-hand side. Instead we have to use numerical methods to solve the equations of motion, a common situation with complicated differential equations.

Likes nasu

1. What is the three body problem?

The three body problem is a mathematical problem in physics that involves predicting the motion of three objects, such as planets or stars, that are affected by each other's gravitational pull.

2. Why is the three body problem important?

The three body problem is important because it helps us understand the complex interactions between multiple objects in space, and it has implications for fields such as astronomy, celestial mechanics, and astrophysics.

3. Is the three body problem solved?

No, the three body problem is not completely solved. It is a highly complex and non-linear problem that has no general analytical solution. However, there are numerical methods and computer simulations that can provide accurate predictions.

4. What are some real-world applications of the three body problem?

The three body problem has applications in various fields, such as predicting the motion of planets and moons in our solar system, understanding the dynamics of galaxies and clusters of stars, and even in engineering for designing spacecraft trajectories.

5. Are there any simplified explanations of the three body problem?

Yes, there are simplified explanations of the three body problem that use basic concepts of classical mechanics and gravity. These simplified models can help in understanding the basic principles of the problem, but they do not provide complete solutions for real-world scenarios.