Simple Gas Pressure Question - Combined Chambers Final Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to solve a homework problem involving the combination of two chambers with different air pressures in an airtight seal. The initial pressure in the first chamber is 100 kPa while the second chamber has a pressure of 10 kPa. The conversation touches on using the basic arithmetic and the ideal gas law to determine the final, stable pressure of the combined chambers. Suggestions are given to leave all variables symbolic and use algebra to solve the problem. The conversation concludes with a question about accounting for the overall system's pressure when combining the pressures of the two chambers.
john13
Before anything, my apologies for offering such an elementary question about gas pressure. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Homework Statement

There are two chambers. One is 100 L, containing air at a pressure of 200 kPa. The other, joined to it, is 10 L and contains air at a pressure of 20 kPa. The airtight seal between the chambers is broken. What is the final, stable pressure of the combined chambers?

Homework Equations

Basic arithmetic.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've assumed that it's the greater pressure (200 kPa) that matters, not the lesser. (That is, the pressures aren't additive.) So I get 100 L / 110 L = 0.909. Then: 0.909 * 200 kPa = 181.818 kPa for the whole, combined system.

I suspect that I'm wrong, but I don't know how or why. Anyone care to put me on the right path?

Physics news on Phys.org
john13 said:
I've assumed that it's the greater pressure (200 kPa) that matters, not the lesser. (That is, the pressures aren't additive.) So I get 100 L / 110 L = 0.909. Then: 0.909 * 200 kPa = 181.818 kPa for the whole, combined system.
The result you obtained does not account for the gas that was already present in the smaller, lower pressure chamber. It cannot be completely accurate. It should be close.

Let's try to do better. Suppose that you count up how much air there is to start with. You have 100 liters times 200 kPa worth of air in the large chamber. You have 10 liters times 20 kPA worth of air in the small chamber.

john13 said:
Before anything, my apologies for offering such an elementary question about gas pressure. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Homework Statement

There are two chambers. One is 100 L, containing air at a pressure of 200 kPa. The other, joined to it, is 10 L and contains air at a pressure of 20 kPa. The airtight seal between the chambers is broken. What is the final, stable pressure of the combined chambers?

Homework Equations

Basic arithmetic.

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect that I'm wrong, but I don't know how or why. Anyone care to put me on the right path?
Are you familiar with the ideal gas law?

Chestermiller said:
Are you familiar with the ideal gas law?
I do recall PV = nRT from high school - except that I'm not really sure what to plug into n or R (we're talking about ordinary atmospheric air). T would be room temperature, or 20 degrees C (293 K).

Would you mind telling me where I go from there?

john13 said:
I do recall PV = nRT from high school - except that I'm not really sure what to plug into n or R (we're talking about ordinary atmospheric air). T would be room temperature, or 20 degrees C (293 K).

Would you mind telling me where I go from there?
You don't need to know n, You can know it if you know the temperature but it is not given in the question so no assumptions.

What you should do is, You have some ##n_1## moles in chamber 1 and ##n_2## of moles in chamber 2. So when they are combined you get..

Now use the ideal gas law combined with that information to get an equation that will answer any question similar to this.

Thanks for the help. Since we're actually talking about locomotive air brakes, I can safely say that we're operating at room temperature (let's say 25 degrees C).

Atmospheric air is a mixture of oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, xenon, neon, helium, hydrogen, krypton, argon and neon. I have to go to work now, so on the weekend I'll go research the atomic weights and from there try to figure out the number of moles of each.

Wow - I never figured this would get so complicated!

john13 said:
Thanks for the help. Since we're actually talking about locomotive air brakes, I can safely say that we're operating at room temperature (let's say 25 degrees C).

Atmospheric air is a mixture of oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, xenon, neon, helium, hydrogen, krypton, argon and neon. I have to go to work now, so on the weekend I'll go research the atomic weights and from there try to figure out the number of moles of each.
It is not that complicated. You do not need to know the atomic weights. You do not need to know the number of moles. You do not need to know the temperature.

Leave everything symbolic and do the algebra. See what drops out.

Hmm. Well, in that case I get:

P = (n1 + n2)RT/110

The 110 refers to litres, of course; it's 0.11 cubic metres.

But now how do I account for the overall system's pressure when I've combined the pressures of two different chambers? I imagine that the respective initial pressures, 100 kPa and 10 kPa, are critical to this calculation.

john13 said:

P = (n1 + n2)RT/110

But now how do I account for the overall system's pressure when I've combined the pressures of two different chambers? I imagine that the respective initial pressures, 100 kPa and 10 kPa, are critical to this calculation.
Overall system pressure is what we need.

Why not substitute n1 and n2 using the ideal gas law? Keep the unknown variables symbolic.

john13 said:

P = (n1 + n2)RT/110

From the ideal gas law, algebraically, in terms of T (and R), what is the initial number of moles of air in chamber 1 (##n_1)##? From the ideal gas law, algebraically, in terms of T (and R), what is the initial number of moles of air in chamber 2 (##n_2##)? From these results, what is the total initial number of moles of air in chambers 1 and 2? Does this total number of moles change between the initial state of the system and the final state of the system? What is the total volume of the two chambers? So now you know the total number of moles in the two chambers in the final state, the total volume in the final state, and the temperature. From the ideal gas law, what is the final pressure?

Likes jbriggs444
Okay, that makes perfect sense. I'm using cubic metres and Pascals.

So I have n1 = RT/(100,000 * 0.1) and n2 = RT/(10,000 * 0.01)

In the final system: n1 + n2 = RT/10,000 + RT/100 = 0.0001RT + 0.001RT = 0.0011RT

Therefore P = 0.0011RT(RT)/0.11 = 0.000121(RT)^2

It doesn't look all that plausible at this stage, and I'm not sure what to do with the RT.

john13 said:
Okay, that makes perfect sense. I'm using cubic metres and Pascals.

So I have n1 = RT/(100,000 * 0.1) and n2 = RT/(10,000 * 0.01)

These are upside down. Try again.

Ugh - how embarrassing!

So instead I have (n1 + n2) =10,100/RT = P

That looks better, no?

john13 said:
Ugh - how embarrassing!

So instead I have (n1 + n2) =10,100/RT = P

That looks better, no?
No. I get $$n_1+n_2=\frac{20200}{RT}$$where the numerator is in Joules. And please tell me why that is supposed to be equal to the final pressure, since the units don't even match.

Now, please go back to answering my questions in post #10.

Last edited:

What is the formula for calculating the final pressure of a combined gas chamber system?

The formula for calculating the final pressure of a combined gas chamber system is Pfinal = (n1RT1 + n2RT2) / (V1 + V2), where P is pressure, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and V is volume.

What is the significance of combining gas chambers in a system?

Combining gas chambers allows for a larger total volume, which can be beneficial for certain experiments or processes. It also allows for the mixing of gases, which can create new chemical reactions or reactions at different rates.

How does temperature affect the final pressure in a combined gas chamber system?

According to the ideal gas law, temperature and pressure are directly proportional. This means that as temperature increases, so does pressure. Therefore, increasing the temperature in a combined gas chamber system will result in a higher final pressure.

What is the difference between a combined gas chamber system and a single gas chamber system?

A combined gas chamber system has multiple chambers that are connected and can interact with each other, while a single gas chamber system only has one chamber. This allows for more complex experiments and processes to be conducted in a combined system.

How does the number of moles of gas in each chamber affect the final pressure in a combined gas chamber system?

The final pressure in a combined gas chamber system is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas present in each chamber. This means that increasing the number of moles in one chamber will result in a higher final pressure, and vice versa.