Simple geometric series question

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for finding the mean using the formula for the sum of a geometric series. The key is to only replace half of the terms in the series to avoid getting stuck in a loop. The final answer is (N+1)/2. After some confusion, the speaker was able to solve the problem the next day.
FeynmanFtw
Take the case for the mean:

[tex]
\bar{x} = \frac{1}{N} \Big( \sum_{i=1}^Ni \Big)
[/tex]

If we simply use the formula for the sum of a geometric series, we get

[itex]\bar{x} = \frac{N}{2} (2a + (N - 1)d)[/itex]

where a and d both equal 1, so we simply get the result

[itex]\bar{x} = \frac{1}{2} (N + 1)[/itex]

What I've been trying to do is to get the same result by being more rigorous, in that I've attempted to expand the series, i.e.

[tex]
\bar{x} = \frac{1}{N} (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + N)
[/tex]

and replace the terms with the appropriate expressions using N, for example 1 and 2 would be N-(N-1) and N-(N-2) respectively, and so forth. Unfortunately I just keep going round in circles and never achieve the correct result.

Am I wasting my time? Or have I simply not seen the next step?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
FeynmanFtw said:
and replace the terms with the appropriate expressions using N, for example 1 and 2 would be N-(N-1) and N-(N-2) respectively, and so forth. Unfortunately I just keep going round in circles and never achieve the correct result.

The idea is to not replace all the terms, but only have the terms. For example ##2## gets replaced by ##N - (N - 2)##, but we don't want to replace the later term ##N-2##. The terms will cancel out then.

micromass said:
The idea is to not replace all the terms, but only have the terms. For example ##2## gets replaced by ##N - (N - 2)##, but we don't want to replace the later term ##N-2##. The terms will cancel out then.

I think I understand, but just to be sure, could you clarify further please?

FeynmanFtw said:
I think I understand, but just to be sure, could you clarify further please?

Clarify what? What is unclear about my explanation? Just take your sum ##1+2+3+...+N## and replace the first half of the terms in the way you indicated and leave the other half.

I'm still eagerly awaiting the question about a geometric series! :-p

micromass said:
Clarify what? What is unclear about my explanation? Just take your sum ##1+2+3+...+N## and replace the first half of the terms in the way you indicated and leave the other half.

Well I've already attempted what you've suggested, so it seems, though I cannot reach the final answer, as I've stated already.

I've tried going through the puzzle again and I sometimes obtain N/2 + 1, or N/2 as my final answer instead of (N+1)/2. I'm really confused as to where the +1 comes from. Somehow the final answer evades me.

FeynmanFtw said:
Well I've already attempted what you've suggested, so it seems, though I cannot reach the final answer, as I've stated already.

I've tried going through the puzzle again and I sometimes obtain N/2 + 1, or N/2 as my final answer instead of (N+1)/2. I'm really confused as to where the +1 comes from. Somehow the final answer evades me.

The idea is to do this:

[tex]1+2+3+4+5 = (5-4) + (5-3) + 3 + 4 + 5 = (5-4) + 4 + (5-3) + 3 + 5 = 5 + 5 + 5= 15[/tex]

This looks like an arithmetic sequence to me.

Well, as is usually the case, I left the problem yesterday evening and decided to sleep on it. This morning I woke up and solved it within a minute. Don't you just love it when you hit a wall and just jump over it the next time you look at a problem from a different angle?

Thanks to all who helped.

Related to Simple geometric series question

1. What is a simple geometric series?

A simple geometric series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number. For example, the series 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 is a simple geometric series with a common ratio of 2.

2. How do you find the sum of a simple geometric series?

The sum of a simple geometric series can be found using the formula S = a(1 - r^n) / (1 - r), where S represents the sum, a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms in the series.

3. What is the difference between a simple geometric series and a geometric sequence?

A simple geometric series is the sum of terms in a geometric sequence, while a geometric sequence is just a list of numbers in which each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number.

4. How do you determine if a series is geometric?

A series is geometric if each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, known as the common ratio. You can also check if the ratio between consecutive terms remains constant throughout the series.

5. What are some real-life applications of simple geometric series?

Simple geometric series are commonly used in finance, such as compound interest and annuities, as well as in physics and engineering to model exponential growth or decay. They can also be used in population studies and biology to represent growth or decline of a population over time.