Simple harmonic motion>Origin?

• Thread starter LogU16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonic
In summary: The term with ##n \in \mathbb{n}## and the term with zero amplitude.Harmonic motion is defined as being described by a single frequency, i.e., the Fourier series consists of only the two terms with one ##n \in \mathbb{n}## and the term with...
LogU16
Hello there!

I have a simple question; Why simple harmonic motion is called simple harmonic motion? What's the origin of this name? I could not find the answer despite browsing so many websites on the internet.

Could anybody tell me the answer?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple harmonic motion is a type of harmonic motion which can be approximated to a sinusoidal wave (where the acceleration is always proportional to the displacement and always acts towards the mean position). Other forms of harmonic motion may have more complicated functions which describe their motion.

Could you please explain it to me why has we given this name (simple harmonic motion) to this oscillatory motion? and how does acceleration act in an opposite direction to the displacement?
Thanks a lot!

Maybe because harmonic motion doesn't get simpler than this? :woot:
Think of a spring (held horizontally) with one end held by a clamp and a load attached to the other end. Now if you pull the load to one side and let go, you will observe oscillatory motion. What would happen if the acceleration acted in the direction of displacement? The mass would continue to accelerate indefinitely! Clearly, acceleration in the direction of displacement cannot result in regular motion (and it would defy CoE too). But if the acceleration always acted in the opposite direction to displacement, then as the mass would go further away from the mean position, it would slow down, stop and reverse direction, and then gain velocity as it would start moving to the average position. This gain would reduce as it would approach the mean position (where a=0) and then as the mass would overshoot to the other side, it would start slowing down (acceleration reverses direction as displacement is on the other side of the mean position now) until it stops again, then reverse direction... so on and so forth. This would also ensure that the total energy of the system stays constant.

Thanks. CoE??

LogU16 said:
Thanks. CoE??
Conservation of Energy.

Thanks. Could you please explain why does acceleration act always in the opposite direction to displacement in the case of horizontal mass-spring system? Why not they act in the same direction?
I'm unable to understand your previous reply (post#4), kindly make it easier for me to grasp it.

Thank you so much!

When you compress a spring, which way does it push/pull? What about when it is stretched?

LogU16 said:
Thanks. Could you please explain why does acceleration act always in the opposite direction to displacement in the case of horizontal mass-spring system? Why not they act in the same direction?

In PWiz's example in #4, the acceleration is produced by the force of the spring acting on the oscillating mass. Which direction is that force acting when the spring is compressed? When it is stretched? That's the direction the acceleration will be acting.

Thanks, Nugatory.
When spring is stretched towards right, the force (restoring force) will be towards the left.
When spring is compressed towards left, the force (restoring force) will be towards the right.
What will be the direction of acceleration in both cases?

The acceleration must be along the direction of the force. (Newton's second law)

LogU16 said:
What will be the direction of acceleration in both cases?

What does Newton's second law ##\vec{F}=m\vec{a}## say it will be?

When mass goes to mean position from extreme position, its velocity increases
When mass goes to extreme position, ts velocity decreases.

Could you please explain it to me why is it so?

LogU16 said:
When mass goes to mean position from extreme position, its velocity increases
When mass goes to extreme position, ts velocity decreases.

Could you please explain it to me why is it so?

You've already worked out which way the force is acting: when the mass is to the left of the mean position the force is acting towards the right and when the mass is to the left of the mean position the force is acting to the right. So what happens when the mass is to left of the mean position and moving left? The force tends to slow it down until it stops at the extreme left hand position, then as the the force continues to pull the mass to the right, the mass starts moving to the right and gaining speed until it reaches the mid-position. Once it passes the mid-position, the force starts pulling the mass to the left, slowing its rightwards motion.

According to Fourier's theorem you can expand any (sufficiently good-mannered) function as a Fourier series,
$$f(t)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} a_n \exp(-\mathrm{i} n \omega_0 t),$$
with the Fourier coefficients given by
$$a_n=\frac{\omega_0}{2 \pi} \int_{-\pi/\omega_0}^{\pi/\omega_0} \mathrm{d} t \exp(\mathrm{i} n \omega_0 t) f(t).$$
Harmonic motion is defined as being described by a single frequency, i.e., the Fourier series consists of only the two terms with one ##n \in \mathbb{n}## and the term with ##-n##.

On the more linguistic side, from the Oxford English Dictionary:
OED said:
1867 W. Thomson & P. G. Tait Treat. Nat. Philos. I. i. §53 Simple harmonic motion... Such motions [are] approximately those of the simplest vibrations of sounding bodies..whence their name.

DrClaude said:
On the more linguistic side, from the Oxford English Dictionary:
Which is basically the same as saying that the motion is approximately sinusoidal, or the solution to the homogenous second order ordinary differential equation ##\ddot x =-\omega^2 x## with a characteristic equation which has complex roots [edited]

Last edited by a moderator:
I was replying to this:
LogU16 said:
Could you please explain it to me why has we given this name (simple harmonic motion) to this oscillatory motion?
The name was given because it approximates the simplest vibration of sounding bodies, e.g., musical instruments, whence the name "harmonic."

I think this is a good point to end this thread. Thank you all for contributing.

Related to Simple harmonic motion>Origin?

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern, such as a pendulum or a mass attached to a spring. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the origin of simple harmonic motion?

The origin of simple harmonic motion can be traced back to the work of Galileo and Hooke in the 17th century. Galileo observed the motion of pendulums and realized that their periods (the time it takes to complete one cycle) are independent of their amplitude (the distance the pendulum swings). Hooke then formulated the law that describes the restoring force of a spring, which is the fundamental principle behind simple harmonic motion.

3. What are the applications of simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion has many practical applications, such as in clocks, musical instruments, and shock absorbers. It is also used in the study of waves and oscillations in physics, and in engineering for designing structures and machines that can withstand vibrations.

4. How is the period of simple harmonic motion affected by the mass and spring constant?

The period of simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to the mass and inversely proportional to the spring constant. This means that an increase in mass or a decrease in spring constant will result in a longer period, and vice versa.

5. Can simple harmonic motion occur in any direction?

Yes, simple harmonic motion can occur in any direction as long as the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement in that direction. For example, a mass attached to a spring can undergo simple harmonic motion in a horizontal direction, while a pendulum can undergo it in a vertical direction.