Simple Harmonic Motion-Period of oscillations

Just a minor correction, the period (T) should be in seconds, so the final answer would be 4 seconds. In summary, the period of oscillations of a spring with a spring constant of 20 N/m and a mass of 10kg is 4 seconds. This was found using the equation ω=2pi/T and solving for T by first finding ω using the equation ω=√k/m. The answer was rounded to 1 significant figure to match the given values.
vrobins1

Homework Statement

What is the period of oscillations of a spring fixed to the ceiling at one end and set in motion by attaching a mass 10kg to the other end? The spring constant is 20 N/m.

Homework Equations

I used equations found in my lab book for Simple Harmonic Motion.

ω=√k/m

Then I used the equation ω=2pi/T to solve for T

The Attempt at a Solution

I used equations found in my lab book for Simple Harmonic Motion.
First I found
ω according to ω=√k/m
ω=√20/10
ω=√2
ω=1.41

Then I used the equation ω=2pi/T to solve for T
1.41 = 2pi/T
1.41(T)=2pi
T=2pi/1.41
T=4
I rounded T to only 1 significant figure, the same as the given mass and spring constant.

I have a final answer (4) but I am not sure I did this problem correctly, and I am unsure of my algebra where I solved for T. Also, would it be rounded to 1 significant figure?
Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution is correct. The period of oscillations for this system is 4 seconds, given the mass and spring constant provided. It is appropriate to round to 1 significant figure, as that is consistent with the given values. Your algebra looks correct as well. Good job!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion-Period of oscillations

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where a system oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with the force acting on the system being directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium.

2. How is the period of oscillations defined in simple harmonic motion?

The period of oscillations in simple harmonic motion is defined as the time it takes for one complete cycle or oscillation to occur. It is measured in seconds.

3. What factors affect the period of oscillations in simple harmonic motion?

The period of oscillations in simple harmonic motion is affected by two main factors: the mass of the oscillating object and the force constant of the system. A higher mass or a higher force constant will result in a longer period of oscillations.

4. What is the equation for calculating the period of oscillations in simple harmonic motion?

The period of oscillations in simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the force constant of the system.

5. Can the period of oscillations in simple harmonic motion be changed?

Yes, the period of oscillations in simple harmonic motion can be changed by altering the mass or force constant of the system. Additionally, the amplitude of the oscillations can also affect the period. A larger amplitude will result in a longer period.