Simple Harmonic Motion (Total Energy)

In summary, the conversation discusses the combination of kinetic energy (KE) and potential energy (U) in a system with a spring and mass. While it is initially stated that both KE and U are equal to 1/2 kA^2, it is clarified that this is not entirely accurate and that the true expression for energy (E) can be found by adding the equations for KE and U, and using the identity sin^2(theta) + cos^2(theta) = 1. The conversation then goes on to explain how this results in a final expression of E = 1/2 kA^2.
KiNGGeexD
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1391521555.058607.jpg

I have a question about the derivation that I have attached! I understand that both KE and U are 1/2 kA^2 So how is it that the two combine is also equal to 1/2kA^2Not sure if I'm missing something but I'm a little confused :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Part of the problem is that what you "understand" is not true. It is NOT the case that "both KE and U are [itex]1/2 kA^2[/itex]". What is true is that [itex]E= 1/2 kA^2 sin^2(\omega t+ \phi)[/itex] and [itex]U= 1/2 kA^2 cos^2(\omega t+ \phi)[/itex].

Adding those gives [itex]KE+ U= 1/2 kA^2(sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta))[/itex]. Now use the fact that [itex]sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1[/itex] for all [itex]\theta[/itex]!

So that leaves

1/2mv^2 + 1/2kA^2?

KiNGGeexD said:
[
I have a question about the derivation that I have attached! I understand that both KE and U are 1/2 kA^2 So how is it that the two combine is also equal to 1/2kA^2Not sure if I'm missing something but I'm a little confused :(

KE = (1/2)mv2 and v= ωAcos(ωt+ø)
So ,KE = (1/2)mω2A2cos2(ωt+ø)

But ,k = mω2

Hence KE = (1/2)kA2cos2(ωt+ø) (1)

PE = (1/2)kx2 and x= Asin(ωt+ø)
So ,PE = (1/2)kA2sin2(ωt+ø) (2)

E=KE+PE

Using the fact sin2θ+cos2θ =1 ,

E=(1/2)kA2

But there are two terms of kA^2?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious?

KiNGGeexD said:
But there are two terms of kA^2?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious?

E = (1/2)kA2cos2(ωt+ø) + (1/2)kA2sin2(ωt+ø)

Take (1/2)kA2 common from both the terms ,

E = (1/2)kA2[cos2(ωt+ø) + sin2(ωt+ø)]

Hence E = (1/2)kA2

Ahh so you take 1/2kA^2 out as a common factor

Yes...just like if we have 2a+2b ,we can write it as 2(a+b) .

I knew it would be something trivial! That's a bunch mate!

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion (Total Energy)

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a straight line with a constant amplitude and period. This type of motion is seen in systems that have a restoring force proportional to the displacement from equilibrium, such as a mass on a spring.

2. What is the equation for Total Energy in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Total Energy in Simple Harmonic Motion is E = 1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2, where E is the total energy, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and m is the mass of the object.

3. How is Total Energy conserved in Simple Harmonic Motion?

In Simple Harmonic Motion, the total energy remains constant because the spring force is a conservative force, meaning it does not dissipate energy. As the object oscillates back and forth, the potential energy and kinetic energy interchange, but the total energy remains the same.

4. How does the amplitude affect the Total Energy in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude of the motion does not affect the Total Energy in Simple Harmonic Motion. The total energy is solely determined by the spring constant, displacement, and mass of the object.

5. Can the Total Energy in Simple Harmonic Motion be negative?

Yes, the Total Energy in Simple Harmonic Motion can be negative. This typically occurs when the object's displacement is negative, meaning it is on the opposite side of the equilibrium point from its starting position. In this case, the potential energy is negative, but the kinetic energy is positive, resulting in a negative total energy.