Simple Harmonic Oscillation of Balance Wheel in a Clock

In summary, the 900-mg balance wheel of a certain clock is made up of a thin metal ring of radius 12 mm connected by spokes of negligible mass to a fine suspension fiber. The back-and-forth twisting of the fiber causes the wheel to move in simple harmonic motion with period T. The clock ticks four times each second, with the interval between ticks equal to T/2.
Hughng

Homework Statement

The 900-mg balance wheel of a certain clock is made up of a thin metal ring of radius 12 mm connected by spokes of negligible mass to a fine suspension fiber as in (Figure 1) . The back-and-forth twisting of the fiber causes the wheel to move in simple harmonic motion with period T. The clock ticks four times each second, with the interval between ticks equal to T/2.

Homework Equations

I am not so sure how to approach this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find T. Since each seconds has four ticks and the time span between two is T/2, thus I inferred that 1 second = 3T/2 or T = 2/3 Second.
I know the formula for find K is T = 2*pi*sqrt (I/K), but I kept getting the wrong answer. Please help me out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.10.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.10.06 PM.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 669
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

There is another way to interpret "The clock ticks four times each second". Let Δt be the time interval between two consecutive ticks. The statement "The clock ticks four times each second" could mean that there are four intervals Δt making up one second.

Likes Hughng
Hello TSny,
I followed your guide and this is now I interpreted.
One interval Δt is equal to T/2. Then four of those are equal to 2T which is equal to 1 second. Then 1 T = 0.5 second.
With the correct answer to I = 1.3 * 10^-7 kg.m^2, and by applying the formula T = 2*pi*sqrt (I/K), I still get the wrong answer. This is getting tricky.

Uh oh. Sorry if I mislead you with an incorrect interpretation of the problem. What do you now get for K?

I got 2.1*10^-5 (kg*m^2/s^2)

Hughng said:
I got 2.1*10^-5 (kg*m^2/s^2)
That's what I get, too.

If we're making a mistake, hopefully someone will show us.

Sure. Thanks TSny. I appreciate it.

If I don't round off until the end of the calculation, I get 2.0 x 10-5. But I wouldn't think they are that picky with significant figures. Since you only have one more try, I would wait to see if someone else will either confirm what we are getting or else give us a hint as to where we are going wrong.

It said incorrect dimension. I hate online homework.

What units did you enter? kg m2/ s2 or Nm/rad. To me, these are essentially the same.

The second one along with our answer of K, it said incorrect dimension.

Hughng said:
The second one along with our answer of K, it said incorrect dimension.
I don't see why that's considered incorrect. I agree that online homework can sometimes be annoying.

TSny said:
I don't see why that's considered incorrect. I agree that online homework can sometimes be annoying.
Here is the screenshot. So upsetting.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.54.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.54.34 PM.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 615
It could be an error in the online homework system. I'd bring it up with your instructor.

If he cares, I will not go this far to post my homework online to ask for help. It is ok. We will figure it out. It is a 200-students class. He needs to rest.

Hughng said:
If he cares, I will not go this far to post my homework online to ask for help. It is ok. We will figure it out. It is a 200-students class. He needs to rest.
All right. You have a good attitude. Best of luck with the rest of your homework.

Likes Hughng
I have one more.

OK. You should post it as a new thread.

Likes Hughng
TSny said:
OK. You should post it as a new thread.
You can take a look at a new question now. I am laughing at us right now. We should be in class together.

Related to Simple Harmonic Oscillation of Balance Wheel in a Clock

1. What is Simple Harmonic Oscillation in a clock?

Simple Harmonic Oscillation refers to the back and forth motion of the balance wheel in a clock that helps regulate the movement of the clock's hands. This motion is produced by the release and retraction of a coiled spring, which creates a constant and predictable oscillation.

2. How does the balance wheel in a clock maintain time?

The balance wheel, along with the escapement mechanism, helps regulate the movement of the clock's hands by converting the energy from the coiled spring into consistent and precise oscillations. These oscillations act as a pendulum and help maintain the clock's accuracy.

3. What is the role of the hairspring in the balance wheel?

The hairspring is a thin, coiled spring that is attached to the balance wheel in a clock. Its main function is to provide a restoring force to the balance wheel, allowing it to oscillate back and forth at a consistent rate. The hairspring also helps regulate the speed of the balance wheel's movement, which ultimately determines the clock's timekeeping accuracy.

4. How does temperature affect the Simple Harmonic Oscillation of a balance wheel?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the Simple Harmonic Oscillation of a balance wheel in a clock. As the temperature changes, it can cause the hairspring to expand or contract, altering the balance wheel's oscillation rate. This can result in the clock running faster or slower, affecting its accuracy.

5. Can the Simple Harmonic Oscillation of a balance wheel be adjusted?

Yes, the Simple Harmonic Oscillation of a balance wheel can be adjusted by changing the effective length of the hairspring. This can be done by adjusting the balance wheel's weights, which will alter the balance wheel's center of mass and change the oscillation rate. This adjustment process is known as regulating the clock and is essential for maintaining its accuracy.