Simple Harmonic Oscillator behaviour when a potential term is added

In summary: Adding a constant to a potential makes no effective difference. The force is the derivative of the potential, so the constant term has no effect.
Rahulrj

Homework Statement

A simple harmonic oscillator has a potential energy V=1/2 kx^2. An additional potential term V = ax is added then,
a) It is SHM with decreased frequency around a shifted equilibrium
b) Motion is no longer SHM
c)It is SHM with decreased frequency around a shifted equilibrium
d) It is SHM with same frequency around a shifted equilibrium
e)It is SHM with increased frequency around origin

Homework Equations

$$w= \sqrt {k/m}$$
$$x = A \sin{wt}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$V = 1/2 kx^2+ax$$
At x=0
$$V=0$$
Maximum potential
$$dV/dx = kx + a$$
I do not know if this is correct or if it is so then i do not know how to go further than this.
Please help.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps think about what a "shifted equilibrium" might mean? Would a change of coordinate help?

PeroK said:
Perhaps think about what a "shifted equilibrium" might mean? Would a change of coordinate help?

I did not understand what you meant by change of coordinate.

Rahulrj said:
I did not understand what you meant by change of coordinate.

A change of coordinate is where you use another coordinate instead of ##x##. That could be anything. But in this case, you could try using a new coordinate ##y## with ##y = x + c##, where ##c## is a constant.

PeroK said:
A change of coordinate is where you use another coordinate instead of ##x##. That could be anything. But in this case, you could try using a new coordinate ##y## with ##y = x + c##, where ##c## is a constant.
Do you mean to suggest that I should write it as $$ V = \frac {1}{2}k(y-c)^2$$?

Rahulrj said:
Do you mean to suggest that I should write it as $$ V = \frac {1}{2}k(y-c)^2$$?

Yes, except that's not the potential you are supposed to be working with. It's:

##V(x) = \frac12 kx^2 + ax##

PeroK said:
Yes, except that's not the potential you are supposed to be working with. It's:

##V(x) = \frac12 kx^2 + ax##
Yes so then it becomes $$ V = \frac {1}{2}k(y-c)^2+a(y-c)$$
If i expand it, $$V = \frac{1}{2}(ky^2+kc^2)-yc+ay-ac$$

Rahulrj said:
Yes so then it becomes $$ V = \frac {1}{2}k(y-c)^2+a(y-c)$$
If i expand it, $$V = \frac{1}{2}(ky^2+kc^2)-yc+ay-ac$$

Does that give you any ideas about a suitable value for ##c##? Hint: look at the terms in ##y##.

Note, however, that your algebra has gone wrong.

PeroK said:
Does that give you any ideas about a suitable value for ##c##? Hint: look at the terms in ##y##.

Note, however, that your algebra has gone wrong.
The expansion is $$V = \frac{1}{2}(ky^2+kc^2)-kyc+ay-ac$$
Suitable value to cancel what term?
if $$ c= \frac {a}{k}$$ I would get $$V = \frac{1}{2}(ky^2+\frac {a^2}{k})-\frac {a^2}{k}$$

$$V = \frac{1}{2}(ky^2)-\frac {a^2}{k}$$
But it does not look familiar.

Rahulrj said:
The expansion is $$V = \frac{1}{2}(ky^2+kc^2)-kyc+ay-ac$$
Suitable value to cancel what term?
if $$ c= \frac {a}{k}$$ I would get $$V = \frac{1}{2}(ky^2+\frac {a^2}{k})-\frac {a^2}{k}$$

$$V = \frac{1}{2}(ky^2)-\frac {a^2}{k}$$
But it does not look familiar.

What effect does a constant term have on a potential?

PeroK said:
What effect does a constant term have on a potential?
A shift from the normal potential. So how can i infer frequency from this?

Rahulrj said:
A shift from the normal potential. So how can i infer frequency from this?

Adding a constant to a potential makes no effective difference. The force is the derivative of the potential, so the constant term has no effect.

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits oscillatory or back-and-forth motion around a stable equilibrium point, where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. This type of behavior can be seen in systems such as a mass on a spring or a pendulum.

2. How does a potential term affect the behavior of a simple harmonic oscillator?

A potential term can alter the motion of a simple harmonic oscillator by introducing an additional force that depends on the position of the oscillator. This can change the equilibrium position, period, and amplitude of the oscillations.

3. Can a potential term cause a simple harmonic oscillator to exhibit non-harmonic behavior?

Yes, depending on the specific form of the potential term, a simple harmonic oscillator may exhibit non-harmonic behavior such as anharmonicity, where the period of the oscillations is not constant or the amplitude changes over time.

4. How do you mathematically describe the motion of a simple harmonic oscillator with a potential term?

The motion of a simple harmonic oscillator with a potential term can be described by the equation F = -kx -∂V/∂x, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and V is the potential energy function.

5. What are some real-world examples of systems that exhibit simple harmonic oscillator behavior with a potential term?

Some examples include a mass on a spring with friction, a pendulum in a viscous fluid, and a vibrating diatomic molecule. These systems all have a potential term that contributes to the overall behavior of the oscillator.