Simple kinematics question -- Riding a bicycle race in two different gears

In summary, you calculated the average velocity, but it was of no help in solving the problem. You are trying to figure out what to do next, but you are not sure.
knapklara
Homework Statement
A cyclist does 42 km long race. Because of his shifting preferences he races the race with v1= 10 m/s and v2=11.5 m/s. What distance does he do with v1 and what with v2? The whole race lasted 64 minutes. I know the basic formulas but somehow I am lost. Help is much much appreciated!
Relevant Equations
s = v x t
t = t1 + t2
s1 = v1 X t1
I calculated average velocity but obviously it helps nothing with this problem.
I hope to get me going with these exercises once I break the ice. Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome!
Could you post your work so far?

You skipped a relevant equation. You have
t = t1 + t2
s1 = v1*t1

That's a good start. Do you see what other equation is missing?

I'm really not sure what I'm missing, that's the problem :( I'm a little rusty. Don't know how to proceed at all.
20220202_222601.jpg

I thought about getting t2 from t1, but that still doesn't help one bit. I know the answer is right in front of me, but I just don't see it.

If you draw a graph of velocity versus time, the average velocity that you have calculated would be represented by a horizontal line that runs between times 0 and 64 seconds.
The area of that rectangle would represent the total distance of 42,000 meters.

Using the two given velocities, you should end up with two rectangles in that graph, which total area should also represent 42,000 meters.
Adjusting the point in time at which the cyclist change velocities, you should find the areas (and therefore, covered distances) corresponding to V1 and V2.

Likes knapklara
knapklara said:
I thought about getting t2 from t1, but that still doesn't help one bit. I know the answer is right in front of me, but I just don't see it.
You are missing the equation for s2 (it's in your notes but not your post #1) and two simple facts: t2 = 64 min - t1 and s2 = 42 km - s1. Or you can do it geometrically as @Lnewqban suggested.

Likes Lnewqban and knapklara
kuruman said:
You are missing the equation for s2 (it's in your notes but not your post #1) and two simple facts: t2 = 64 min - t1 and s2 = 42 km - s1. Or you can do it geometrically as @Lnewqban suggested.
Allright, that makes more sense, but I still don't know what to do with two unknown variables. Please forgive my ignorance.

Attachments

• 20220202_230600.jpg
    20220202_230600.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 50
You have
s1 = v1 t1
and
s2 = v2 t2 which becomes
42 km - s1 = v2 (64 min - t1)
What do you get when you substitute s1 from the top expression?

When you put in the rest of the numbers, don't forget to convert kilometers to meters and minutes to seconds.

All right, I'd kindly ask you for a comment. I knew all along that it was going to be quite simple and thank you for bearing with me! You pointed the obvious!

Attachments

• 20220202_233448.jpg
    20220202_233448.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 48
Likes Lnewqban
knapklara said:
All right, I'd kindly ask you for a comment. I knew all along that it was going to be quite simple and thank you for bearing with me! You pointed the obvious!
Not to worry. I too have the occasional blind spot and can't see the obvious.

knapklara said:
That's all fine, but you can get there more quickly if you keep your eye on what needs to be done at each step.
We start with the facts ##v_1t_1+v_2t_2=s##, ##t_1+t_2=t##.
We have two equations and two unknowns. So we pick one unknown and use one equation to eliminate that unknown from the other:
##t_2=t-t_1##
##v_1t_1+v_2(t-t_1)=s##
Our remaining unknown occurs more than once, so collect the terms involving it together:
##(v_1-v_2)t_1+v_2t=s##
Yes, you did all that, but with several unnecessary digressions along the way.

This process extends to any (solvable) system of n equations and n unknowns.

Thank you very much for your perspective, much appreciated!

Likes berkeman and Lnewqban

1. How do gears affect riding a bicycle?

Gears on a bicycle allow the rider to change the ratio of pedal rotations to wheel rotations, making it easier or harder to pedal. This allows for a more efficient and comfortable ride, especially when going up or down hills.

2. What is the difference between a high gear and a low gear?

A high gear has a larger gear ratio, meaning the rider will have to pedal more to achieve the same distance traveled. This is useful for riding on flat terrain or going downhill. A low gear has a smaller gear ratio, making it easier for the rider to pedal and better for going uphill or riding on rough terrain.

3. How do I know which gear to use while riding a bicycle race?

The gear you should use depends on the terrain and your personal preference. In general, you should use a higher gear on flat or downhill sections and a lower gear on uphill or rough sections. Experiment with different gears to find what works best for you.

4. Can I switch gears while riding a bicycle race?

Yes, you can switch gears while riding a bicycle race. However, it is recommended to shift gears before you reach a steep hill or rough terrain to avoid losing momentum. It is also important to shift smoothly and not put too much strain on the chain and gears.

5. How does gear selection impact my speed and endurance during a bicycle race?

The right gear selection can greatly impact your speed and endurance during a bicycle race. Using a higher gear can help you reach faster speeds, but it may also tire you out faster. Using a lower gear can help you conserve energy and maintain a steady pace, but it may also slow you down. It is important to find a balance between speed and endurance by choosing the appropriate gear for the terrain and your physical abilities.