Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem: problems with finding x and other information.

• Thread starter WtKemper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, an insulated Piston-Cylinder device contains .6kg of H20 at 600kPa initially with a volume of .6m3. After an electric resistor is placed in the tank and turned on for 10 minutes, the volume doubles. The specific volume for initial is .1 m3/kg and for final is .2 m3/kg. The equation Ein-Eout=(Delta)E can be applied to find the power of the resistor. The mixture is in a saturated state and the pressure is considered constant. By solving for x using x= (v-vf)/vfg, the final temperature can be found. Help is preferred over just answers. State 1 is superheated with a specific volume of
WtKemper

Homework Statement

An insulated Piston-Cylinder device contains .6kg of H20 at 600kPa Initially the volume of the system is .6m3. Now an electric resistor is placed in the tank and turned on for 10 minutes until the volume doubles.

Show this on a T-v diagram

What is final temp?

What is the power of the resistor?

Homework Equations

Ein-Eout=(Delta)E

The Attempt at a Solution

I began using Volume1=.6 m3 Volume2=1.2 m3. so then specific volume for initial = .1 m3/kg and for final specific volume = .2 m3/kg

I know that you can apply the equation above in some way. I'm just unsure how. My first thoughts were Welectric-Workboundary=(delta)U from here can you change this to Welectric=(delta)U-Workboundary=(delta)Enthalpy?

Both are within the range of specific volumes at the Pressure given so I know that it is a Saturated Mixture. But I'm stuck on where to go from here.I know that you have to figure out the ratio of the mixture, but I'm unsure what to use to find this. Any way enough rambling Thank you in advance! I would prefer help more than just answers

Oh I figure I can solve for x by using x= (v-vf)/vfg but I still don't understand how to find temp.
Also can pressure be condsidered constant in this case?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone offer any help? sorry to bump so quickly

I think you are superheated. State 1 has a specific volume of 1 m^3/kg if the mass of water in the cylinder is 0.6 kg. You can find T1, U1 etc. from steam table. Since the piston is allowed to float it looks like you have a constant pressure process from state 1 to 2 so you can find T2, U2 etc.

Related to Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem: problems with finding x and other information.

1. What is the Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem?

The Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem is a basic engineering problem that involves the analysis of a piston-cylinder system. It typically involves finding the displacement or position of a piston in a cylinder under certain conditions.

2. What are the common challenges in solving the Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem?

The main challenge in solving the Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem is finding the correct equations and assumptions to use in the analysis. Additionally, determining the appropriate values for variables such as pressure, volume, and temperature can also be difficult.

3. How do I find the value of x in the Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem?

The value of x can be found by using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure multiplied by the volume is equal to the number of moles of gas multiplied by the universal gas constant and the temperature. This equation can be rearranged to solve for x.

4. What are some tips for solving the Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem?

Some tips for solving the Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem include carefully reading and understanding the problem statement, making appropriate assumptions, using the correct equations, and clearly labeling and organizing all given values and variables.

5. Can the Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the Simple Piston-Cylinder Problem can be applied to real-world situations such as the analysis of engines, pumps, and other mechanical systems that involve the movement of a piston within a cylinder. It can also be used in the study of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.