Thermodynamics Piston-Cylinder Question

In summary, the problem involves air in a piston-cylinder assembly going through a process to a final state with given pressure and volume, with a linear pressure-volume relationship. Assuming ideal gas behavior, the work and heat transfer are calculated to be 0.5 kJ and 4.0289 kJ respectively, by finding the change in internal energy and using the ideal gas law. The P-V diagram is used to find the boundary work and the energy balance equation is used to determine the net heat transfer.
AGiantGolden49er

Homework Statement

Air contained in a piston–cylinder assembly, initially at 2 bar, 200 K, and a volume of 1 L, undergoes a process to a final state where the pressure is 8 bar and the volume is 2 L. During the process, the pressure–volume relationship is linear. Assuming the ideal gas model for the air, determine the work and heat transfer, each in kJ.

Homework Equations

pv = RT (ideal gas, v = specific volume)
W = pdV
ΔE = Q - W
h = u(T) + RT

The Attempt at a Solution

pv = RT
=> v = RT/p
v = [ (8.314 kJ/kmol*k)/(28.97 kg/kmol) * (200 K) ] / (2 bar) * (105 N/m2 / bar) (1 kJ / 103 N*m) = 0.2689 m3/kg

v = V/m
=> m = V/v
m = 0.001 m3/ 0.2869 m3/kg = 0.003486 kg

That's my calculations for the mass of the initial state, m1. Since the assembly is a closed system, the initial mass m1 should be equal to the final mass m2. I'm assuming the mass of the air would be used to find the change in internal energy. But, since the problem does not explicitly state it, am I allowed to assumed there are no effects in kinetic/potential energy?

Also, as for the work and heat transfer calculations, I'm assuming that W = pdV would come into play, but the statement regarding the linear pressure-volume relationship is throwing me off. Does that mean the same thing as pV = constant?

I'm fairly lost right now, so if anyone can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
AGiantGolden49er said:

Homework Statement

Air contained in a piston–cylinder assembly, initially at 2 bar, 200 K, and a volume of 1 L, undergoes a process to a final state where the pressure is 8 bar and the volume is 2 L. During the process, the pressure–volume relationship is linear. Assuming the ideal gas model for the air, determine the work and heat transfer, each in kJ.

Homework Equations

pv = RT (ideal gas, v = specific volume)
W = pdV
ΔE = Q - W
h = u(T) + RT

The Attempt at a Solution

pv = RT
=> v = RT/p
v = [ (8.314 kJ/kmol*k)/(28.97 kg/kmol) * (200 K) ] / (2 bar) * (105 N/m2 / bar) (1 kJ / 103 N*m) = 0.2689 m3/kg

v = V/m
=> m = V/v
m = 0.001 m3/ 0.2869 m3/kg = 0.003486 kg

That's my calculations for the mass of the initial state, m1. Since the assembly is a closed system, the initial mass m1 should be equal to the final mass m2. I'm assuming the mass of the air would be used to find the change in internal energy. But, since the problem does not explicitly state it, am I allowed to assumed there are no effects in kinetic/potential energy?
Yes.
Also, as for the work and heat transfer calculations, I'm assuming that W = pdV would come into play, but the statement regarding the linear pressure-volume relationship is throwing me off. Does that mean the same thing as pV = constant?
No. If P is the pressure in bars and v is the volume in liters, what is the equation for the straight line passing through the points (1,2) and (2,8)? In Joules, what is the amount of work done by the gas on the surroundings?
You know the initial temperature and the initial- and final pressures and volumes. From the ideal gas law, what is the final temperature? Knowing the number of moles and the initial and final temperatures, what is the change in internal energy?

Chester,

With your hint, I was able to find a final temperature of 1600, and corresponding internal energy values of u1 = 142.56 kJ/kg, and u2 = 1298.30 kJ/kg, according to the tables in the back of my textbook. I calculated the corresponding change in internal energy to be 4.0289 kJ.

The heat transfer calculation will be a cakewalk once I find the work value, however, I'm still a bit confused on how to do just that. Pressure isn't constant, so W=∫pdV can't just become p (V2 - V1), and temperature isn't constant either so the integral can't become W = pV ln(V2 / V1).

Am I even remotely on the right track?

I didn't read the whole text but I just solved it. Open the attachment.

First, you can draw a P-V diagram if its relation is linear so it is easy to find the boundry work by calculating the area of trepazoid. It's 0.5 kJ. And then, from the energy balance $$ Q_(Net) - W_(Net) = \Delta U $$ We are looking for Q net. We can do this by two ways. First we can arrange the eq. like $$ Q_Net = \Delta U $$ since W net + Delta U = the change in the entalphy. I did the calculation on the top right side of the pic. It is 5.43 kJ The other way is since we know the W net, we can find the internal energy change and sum up these two. To be able to that, you can determine the Cv(avg), find the final temp. by P1.V1 / T1 = P2.V2/T2 eq, that is about 1600 K. And from the 1600+200/2 = 900K you can take the Cv(avg) @ 900K and you know the rest. I hope I could help you.

Regards

Attachments

• q1.PNG
    q1.PNG
    22 KB · Views: 1,221
Last edited:
By the way, I realized that I wrote wrong, the second equation should be $$ Q_Net = \Delta H $$

1. What is the purpose of a piston-cylinder in thermodynamics?

The piston-cylinder is a device used to study the behavior of gases under different thermodynamic conditions. It allows for controlled changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas, which can then be measured and analyzed.

2. How does a piston-cylinder work?

The piston-cylinder consists of a cylindrical chamber with a moveable piston at one end. The gas is contained within the chamber and the piston can be moved to change the volume of the gas. This change in volume results in a change in pressure, which can be measured using a pressure gauge.

3. What is the difference between isothermal and adiabatic processes in a piston-cylinder?

In an isothermal process, the temperature of the gas remains constant while the volume changes. This can be achieved by keeping the piston-cylinder in contact with a heat source or sink. In an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer between the gas and its surroundings, resulting in a change in temperature as the volume changes.

4. What is the ideal gas law and how is it related to a piston-cylinder?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, describes the relationship between pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n) of an ideal gas. This law can be applied to a piston-cylinder system to analyze the changes in these variables as the gas undergoes different thermodynamic processes.

5. How is the first law of thermodynamics applied to a piston-cylinder system?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In a piston-cylinder system, this means that the change in internal energy of the gas is equal to the heat added to the gas minus the work done by the gas. This can be expressed as ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added, and W is the work done.