How Accurate Is Using a DIY Pitot Tube to Measure Vacuum Pump Airflow?

In summary: Feb 9 01:51 .tmpIn summary, the author is having difficulty calculating air flow in a 3" PVC pipe due to differences in equation usage between a standard pitot tube and a pump factory reference. He asks for help from others and provides a summary of the conversation.
yessiko
Dear all,

I have a simple experiment to make a cheap pitot tube using 3" PVC pipe to measure vacuum pump air flow. But in the middle of my experiment I have difficulty to calculate air flow in the pipe, because I try to use bernouli equation for standard pitot tube and the result still not same with pump factory refference.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20251&stc=1&d=1251296891.jpg

May some body help me?

Rgrds,

Yessiko

Attachments

• simple pitot tube 2.jpg
    simple pitot tube 2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 6,364
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is your pitot tube reading high? There may be an entrance loss on your pitot tube that causes the deviatiation from ideal Bernouli flow.

Make sure your pitot tube is well aligned with the inlet air flow. Also, chamfer the inlet with a 30° chamfer. This will help with the probe being less sensitive to yaw errors.

Attachments

• 100_6452.jpg
    100_6452.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,836
  • 100_6454.jpg
    100_6454.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,323
Interesting setup. It will be impossible to help you without seeing your actual calculation. I'm guessing you have a unit wrong somewhere.

The pictures are too small to tell anything.

Hello
I am undergoing a similar experiment at university and I am making an L shaped simple pitot tube (not pitot static tube). Are there any limits on the dimensions? Such as the ratio of the length of the base to the diameter of the tube? I have done research but cannot seem to find anywhere that says anything about that for a simple pitot tube. For a pitot static tube the ratio of 'the distance from the static holes to the 90 degree bend' to the 'diameter of the tube' is best being around 12. But for a simple pitot tube, are there any such limitations?

L shaped simple pitot tube:

|
|
|
|
|
|
'--------
\______/
^
Base

It depends on the flow velocities but a good rule of thumb is to make the base length at least 4 times the tube OD.

because atmospheric pressure is the pump, not the vacumn, I would think you should need to correct for air density variations real time. A set of "runs" will be relatively meaningless without enviromental conditions being recorded

dr

Related to How Accurate Is Using a DIY Pitot Tube to Measure Vacuum Pump Airflow?

1. What is a simple pitot tube experiment?

A simple pitot tube experiment is an experiment used to measure the flow velocity of a fluid, such as air or water, by using a pitot tube. A pitot tube is a device that has two openings - one facing the flow and one perpendicular to it. The difference in pressure between these two openings is used to calculate the flow velocity.

2. How does a pitot tube work?

A pitot tube works by measuring the difference in pressure between two openings - the stagnation pressure opening and the static pressure opening. The stagnation pressure opening is facing the flow and the static pressure opening is perpendicular to it. The difference in pressure is used to calculate the flow velocity using Bernoulli's principle.

3. What materials do I need for a simple pitot tube experiment?

You will need a pitot tube, a fluid source (such as a pump or compressed air), a pressure gauge, and tubing to connect the pitot tube to the pressure gauge. You may also need a stand or clamp to hold the pitot tube in place.

4. How do I perform a simple pitot tube experiment?

To perform a simple pitot tube experiment, first, connect the pitot tube to the pressure gauge using tubing. Then, place the pitot tube in the flow of the fluid, making sure that the stagnation pressure opening is facing the flow. Measure the difference in pressure between the two openings using the pressure gauge. Use this value to calculate the flow velocity using the appropriate formula.

5. What are some applications of a simple pitot tube experiment?

A simple pitot tube experiment can be used in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, and environmental engineering. It can be used to measure the flow velocity of air in wind tunnels, determine the airspeed of an aircraft, and measure the flow rate of fluids in pipes or channels. It is also commonly used in research and development to study the flow characteristics of different fluids and objects.