Simple problem - cant spot my own mistake

• Thread starter synthetic.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, common mistakes when solving simple problems include not fully reading the problem, using incorrect formulas, making calculation errors, and overlooking details. To avoid these mistakes, carefully read the problem, double-check calculations, and take time to analyze the problem. Finding and correcting mistakes is important for accuracy and improving problem-solving skills. If a mistake cannot be found, taking a break and seeking assistance can be helpful. To improve problem-solving skills and reduce mistakes, practice regularly, seek feedback, and analyze past mistakes.
synthetic.
Solved, thanks Tedjin.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're mistake is in this part:

x2 + (3x-100)2 = 10000
10x2 - 600x - 9900 = 0

You haven't expanded correctly.

Quite the oversight.

Thanks, Tedjin. I shall aptly punish myself.

Related to Simple problem - cant spot my own mistake

1. What are some common mistakes that people make when trying to solve a simple problem?

Some common mistakes include not thoroughly reading the problem, using incorrect formulas or equations, making calculation errors, and overlooking small details.

2. How can I avoid making mistakes when trying to solve a simple problem?

To avoid making mistakes, it is important to carefully read the problem, double-check your calculations, and take your time to analyze the problem and come up with a solution. It may also be helpful to have someone else review your work.

3. Why is it important to find and correct mistakes in problem-solving?

Finding and correcting mistakes is important because it ensures the accuracy and reliability of your solution. It also helps to improve your problem-solving skills and identify areas for improvement.

4. What should I do if I cannot find my mistake?

If you are having trouble finding your mistake, take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. It may also be helpful to ask a colleague or seek assistance from a mentor or tutor.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills and reduce mistakes in the future?

To improve your problem-solving skills and reduce mistakes, practice regularly and seek feedback from others. It can also be helpful to analyze your mistakes and understand why they were made, so you can avoid them in the future.