Simple proof of uniform continuity

In summary: You don't need to do a separate proof for the case where a is negative because uniform continuity is defined in terms of absolute values and when you multiply by a negative number, the absolute value is also multiplied by the negative number so it all works out. Just make sure to mention that you're assuming a is a number and not a function.
mrchris
If the function f:D→ℝ is uniformly continuous and a is any number, show that the function a*f:D→ℝ also is uniformly continuous.

Ok, so I am just learning my proofs so be patient with me, I'm very new at it.

take a>0, ε>0 and x,y in D. We know |x-y|<δ whenever |f(x)-f(y)|<ε.
If we take a*f:D→ℝ, we have |a*f(x)-a*f(y)|<ε → |a*[f(x)-f(y)]|<ε→
a*|f(x)-f(y)|<ε→ |f(x)-f(y)|<ε/a. Therefore, if we use ε/a, the result is proven.

This just seems a little too easy to me, plus I've only done a few of these on my own. any suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated. Also, do I need to do this separately for a<0?

Physics news on Phys.org
|x-y|<δ whenever |f(x)-f(y)|<ε.

You have this written backwards. As written, you're saying that if you pick values of x and y such that |f(x)-f(y)| is small, then |x-y| must be small as well. But this isn't true -for example if f is a constant function - and isn't what you want with uniform continuity. The actual statement is |f(x)-f(y)|<ε whenever |x-y|<δ (note that you need to state at some point that given epsilon, you can find delta such that this is true)Your next string of logic looks good until this point:
Therefore, if we use ε/a, the result is proven.

Use ε/a for what? To prove uniform continuity, you need: for any ε that I give you, you must produce δ such that if |x-y|<δ, then |a*f(x)-a*f(y)|<ε. Unless you're suggesting δ = ε/a you need to expand upon this to have a complete proof with all the details
Also, do I need to do this separately for a<0?

The a<0 case is handled by factoring the a out of the absolute value signs and getting an |a|, not just an a. Also the case a=0 isn't covered by the proof (but that's a pretty easy case)

Assuming that by a you mean a number and a*f is just multiplication of the function f by a, yes, it really is that easy!

What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a property of a function that describes how the function behaves as the input values get closer and closer together. A function is uniformly continuous when, for any small difference in the input values, the difference in the output values is also small. In other words, the function does not exhibit abrupt changes or discontinuities.

Why is uniform continuity important?

Uniform continuity is important because it guarantees that a function will behave in a predictable and consistent manner. This is especially useful in mathematical and scientific applications where precise and accurate results are necessary.

What is the difference between uniform continuity and continuity?

The main difference between uniform continuity and continuity is that uniform continuity requires the function to behave consistently across the entire domain, while continuity only requires the function to be continuous at each point in the domain. In other words, uniform continuity requires a function to be continuous globally, while continuity only requires it to be continuous locally.

How can I prove uniform continuity?

There are several methods for proving uniform continuity, but one common approach is to use the definition of uniform continuity, which states that for any small difference in the input values, the difference in the output values is also small. This can be shown using the epsilon-delta definition or the Cauchy criterion, among others.

What are some real-world examples of uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity can be observed in many real-world phenomena, such as the flow of water through a pipe or the rate at which a chemical reaction occurs. In both cases, small changes in input variables (such as pressure or temperature) result in small changes in the corresponding output variables, demonstrating uniform continuity.