Does the Kinetic Theory of Matter Always Apply Across Different Substances?

In summary, the conversation discusses the kinetic theory of matter and how the particles in a gas have more energy than those in a liquid, which have more energy than those in a solid. However, it is questioned whether this rule always holds true when comparing different substances and whether the energy difference between particles in a solid and liquid must have existed when both were still solid. The concept of energy in different phases is also discussed, with a focus on kinetic energy. The individual's background in physics is mentioned and they hope for a better understanding of the topic. It is ultimately concluded that the general statement of the particles in a gas having more energy is not always true without context.
iMatt
This came up whilst helping my kid with her GCSE physics so ought to be pretty straightforward. Here goes:

At his level the kinetic theory of matter is taught in a simple way and one "key point" which is stated time and time again is "the particles in a gas have more energy than the particles in a liquid which have more energy than the particles in a solid". Whist it is easy to see how this must be the case for the three states of the same substance it is not clear to me how it necessarily holds true when comparing different substances. For instance at room temperature one substance might be a solid and another might be liquid - does this "rule" always hold here? Or I might start with two equal masses of different solids at the same temperature then apply the same heat energy to both until one with lower melting point becomes liquid. Do the liquid particles have more energy than the particles of the substance that remains solid? If so this difference in energy must presumably have existed when both were still solid.

I don't know if the answer is tied in with considerations of different heat capacities for instance - I don't even know if the heat capacity and melting point of a substance are directly linked - but if I start listing all the things I don't know which might be relevant this email would get very long!

Hope someone can shed some light.

Thanks,

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
In a gas, there is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution of velocities. Some of the molecules are really slow. So it is not correct to say that "the" (all ?) molecules in the gas have more energy than in other phases.

You are right to be suspicious. All this is quite complex. What is meant by the energy of a particle in solids or liquids? Kinetic energy? Some kind of potential energy? In a gas, kinetic energy is the only term that matters. In classical physics, it is the same for all molecules, whether it is helium or nitrogen.

Yes, I admit I kept away from gases in my examples because solids and liquids seemed to have more in common in his context. Having said that I suppose I had assumed the energy in question would be solely kinetic in nature but I have no basis for this other than the point arises in the GCSE section on the kinetic theory of matter

I might have hope my 25 yr old physics degree would be more help to me than it's proving to be - somehow it seems to be a question I don't remember asking myself before. Hopefully my rusty physics will at leat help me understand any suggested answers.

That general statement is not true as it is given, without context.
The average energy per degree of freedom is the same, as long as the classical statistics can be applied.

What is the kinetic theory of matter?

The kinetic theory of matter states that all matter is made up of tiny particles (atoms or molecules) that are in constant motion. This motion is what gives matter its physical properties such as temperature and pressure.

How does the kinetic theory of matter explain the different states of matter?

The kinetic theory of matter explains that the state of matter (solid, liquid, or gas) is determined by the amount of energy the particles have and how closely they are packed together. In a solid, the particles have low energy and are tightly packed, while in a gas, the particles have high energy and are more spread out.

What is the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy in the kinetic theory of matter?

According to the kinetic theory of matter, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. As the temperature increases, the particles move faster and have more kinetic energy.

Can the kinetic theory of matter be applied to all types of matter?

Yes, the kinetic theory of matter can be applied to all types of matter, including solids, liquids, and gases. It can also be applied to more complex types of matter such as plasmas and Bose-Einstein condensates.

What is the significance of the kinetic theory of matter in understanding the behavior of gases?

The kinetic theory of matter is crucial in understanding the behavior of gases because it explains the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume of a gas. It also helps us understand how gases can be compressed, expanded, and diffused.